Duster Rear Window Louvers

-
if there was even a basic shape out there that fits the windows and has the slats with the openings , i would spend a couple days sanding and fitting, and even spraying them myself

It"s to bad it's all about money, what happened to tuning up a tin knockers GTX for a set

Well as for me I'm going to get some light metal or aluminum and see what I can come up with for the sides.. I bet if some one could fab up some they could serve as a pattern.. I know several pages back Leanna had a person that might have taken a look at this thread and see if his talents could be used.. I do agree that to step up and plop down $1000.00 to wait for some R & D work then finally get a set just ain't high on the priority list. I do believe that if someone can figure this out they definitely would be busy and make a nice profit filling orders..

Anybody know if metal shops give free estimates? I can draw the things up in cad if someone's willing to work with me and give me the dimensions of some prototypes they work up. I know alot of shops, that's all they need.

Anybody know if metal shops give free estimates? I can draw the things up in cad if someone's willing to work with me and give me the dimensions of some prototypes they work up. I know alot of shops, that's all they need.

Although I think they look horrendous I can quote making them if you want to draw them... We could make them from mild, stainless or aluminum. I have Inventor and Autocad as well but no time to design them. They actually look pretty basic if the parts were all laser cut and then formed or rolled.

I'm in the great white north in case that matters. We are a fab shop that deals mostly with stainless steel equipment but we do a lot of polished stainless and stuff for architectural work. Mild steel powder coated would be cool too. Aluminum is a ***** to weld light gauge... If you have enough silly people, say 10, that are willing to buy these ugly things then that will save a lot on the cost to make them... we do one offs all the time but making a couple would be cheaper.

Let me know what you think. I think they are totally do able out of steel and $1100 or what that other guy was selling them for seems way high to me.... lets get a drawing together. If you do something rough I can always look at redrawing it a bit to make them easier to manufacture. I just don't have time to measure my car and lay them all out.... especially since there's no way in hell I'd be caught dead with it on my car.... lol..

all in good fun. I'll help if I can.

PS. The side window louvers look like a piece of cake from the cardboard ones you made. Lay them out in Cad, laser cut the flats.... bend up the louvers and weld the ends. There's nothing to complicated about them. The rear looks a lot harder since its all compound angles and curves...

Although I think they look horrendous ... there's no way in hell I'd be caught dead with it on my car.... lol..

all in good fun. I'll help if I can.

LMAO

I think they are totally do able out of steel and $1100 or what that other guy was selling them for seems way high to me....

sounded way too high to me as well..

how about the sides?

You heard the man! Someone get me those dimensions on one of the cardboard prototypes, and I'll get it whipped up in cad, ASAP.

exactly how do want this measured? i will go out and measure my back window, and the side window, but the side window really needs to be traced because of the curves. but i will do it anyway you need me to, i got nothing but time today

The side windows are going to be a ***** to layout because they have no nice straight edges to measure from. Just layout a drawing that's as close as you can. I can quote from that for now. If these go live, I happen to have a Dart Sport... I will print a full scale of the cad and then lay them on my window and we will make them 100% but for quoting I it wont need to be perfect....

I know somebody already mentioned what years had the same side-rear windows, so I'm gonna assume 75 and 74 were the same haha. I'll try to have a rough drawing up by this afternoon, and I can email the cad to you then, if you want to PM me your email.

here are few measurements. this is measured 1/16 -1/8 in from the edges for room..i can take any more measurements that you need and i can add all the measurements for the slats and what-not as we go

Attachments

• mwl.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 230
You know, I was just thinking about that... I had decided on "willpower," but you might be onto something with these "clips."

two clips to slide under the trim in the front and maybe a hole in it to secure it with the window pop out fastener. they easily unscrew...the clips would have to be attached to the louver somehow. i would want to be able to take them on and off if possible

windowlouver.jpg

Rough draft before final measurements.

Seem like i'm going in the right direction?

looking good sully, here are some more. i was going off a 3/4 inch border and a 1/2 inch gap between the slats. im having a hard time with the rearest slat. i would really like to get rid of the boxy lines, but with metal, i know it would be hard to do

Attachments

• mwl2.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 216
i heard back from VFN , here is what they sent me:

Morning Lance
Thanks for your interest in our products!

I am sorry, but we're unable to ~
Not doing much custom work these days in order to remain focused on our normal production times ~

There used to be a company here locally that did custom work, actually did nothing but ~ But, they have recently gone out of business due to the material costs.

The only suggestion I have is perhaps checking with Auto Body Specialties out in CT, they sell a ton of Mopar parts and may have a source that you can look into.

thanks!
Jean

that was just a mock up i came up with. if anyone has a better idea on the slat dimensions or wants to tweek it please chime in. sorry for my 10th grade drawings, but at least i found a use for the ol ladies christmas paper lol

I think the last louver can be shaped to match the window at that end. Think of it as if you have a flat piece that is the shape as the window. Then using your 3/4 or 1/2 inch border you draw the shape of the louvers in that flat.... matching the contour of the window all around. That shape is what gets laser cut. Now you bend the louvers up and fill in your ends with welded pieces. That last louver might have an arch downward on the top edge...

Just thinking..... I still hate these things... a lot.... but I think the horizontal louvers look less horrific IMO. Would the plan be to model both types. What do you guys think?

Just thinking..... I still hate these things... a lot.... but I think the horizontal louvers look less horrific IMO.

LOL its quite ok ....i dont know about anyone else here, i think this just looks badass. i think the horizontal slats would be even worse to make. and they really wouldnt go with flow IMO

this just works with the scoop, the rallyes and the wing

Attachments

• mwl3.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 229
-
Back