Duster Rear Window Louvers

-
$290-$320 sounds fair to me. Might have to wait for a paycheck to get them ;)

I'm TDY, but the glass manufacturers haven't emailed me. :/

The way I see it. If a radio antenna costs $125.00 for my Duster, and a set of brand new wheel well molding can cost as much as $325.00+. Neither one of these items grab your attention and scream out look at this!, even knowing what the cost is.. However the Louvers are a rare comodity and if the cost is what your estimates show, then those of us who want a pair will definitely pay the price.. So long as it is reasonable. I don't feel the numbers you put out there so far is unreasonable at all.. And again I refer to the above. People will pay anything if they want it bad enough..
19 ..

Keep in mind I work in a stainless shop and yes material is more but I bet I can do a set in brushed stainless for the same cost as me sending them to someone for powder coating or painting.....

I'm nervous about alum because its so hard to weld really nice...

I beg to differ there Dart Sport 360. Have you checked with any coaters on pricing?? I'd be happy to discuss a group buy or even individual orders ... and everybody could have whatever color they want; I've got several dozen in stock and the ability to order thousands of others.

O well didnt know you worked in a stainless shop. So either Mild Steel or stainless then and forget aluminium. Can you paint or powdercoat stainless? if you did paint or powdercoat it could you remove it and the stainless still look good?

Yes, you can powder coat stainless and it turns out really nice. But it's better to leave it there ... it CAN be removed either with chemical stripping ($210 plus shipping for a 5-gallon pail of remover) or through media blasting. Either mode of removal will not be kind to the stainless though; the chemical will leave it spotty and the blasting will diminish the shine resulting in a need to repolish everything.

And for those waiting to hear from my pal who used to design and market A Body fenders and stuff ... I haven't heard from him either. Sorry to get all your hopes up.

@Dart Sport 360: I traced the window out, but the problem is... My scanner's not close to being able to scan something that large. But. I have it in a manilla envelope, ready to mail! If you trust me enough to shoot me a PM with an address to send it to. Between that and the measurements provided earlier by 73, should be good.

@CudaChick1968: How much would such a powder coating tack on? It sounds nice, but if it's too much, I'll probably just smooth mine out and paint them while I'm doing the rest of my car ^^

I'm excited. Looks like we're inching towards progress again!

@CudaChick1968: How much would such a powder coating tack on? It sounds nice, but if it's too much, I'll probably just smooth mine out and paint them while I'm doing the rest of my car ^^

Assuming what I get here are clean production pieces without any machine oils, I figure 2 or 3 hours at most ($50-$75). I'll know a lot better after the first one ... so let's talk again when there's a prototype available. I know I can make you guys a killer deal -- haven't treated you wrong yet and I have no intentions to start now. :-D

* * *​

P.S. Edit: If your stainless is polished, they can look like colored mirrors using a candy translucent powder. Check out these chromed motorcycle springs I just got done a few days ago; polished stainless will look the same.

View attachment 025 - Copy.jpg

This is a brand new color called Bentley Blue ... and I don't know about ya'll but holy cow, I'm a fan!

View attachment 026 - Copy.jpg

View attachment 031 - Copy.jpg

View attachment 027 - Copy.jpg

It was a color match from the customer's sample, a painted plastic "chrome" motorcycle gauge cup (I think). Looks like I might've hit a home run.

View attachment 029 - Copy.jpg

Wow that Blue is really nice. If these louvers come to life, I will buy a set and have them powdercoated in this Blue for my Duster.

I really like it too Tom and think I have a new favorite blue powder. LOL!

And man you sure do get up early. :-D Happy Father's Day!!!!

That's really nice, Cudachick. I think I'm gonna stick with flat black though. I'm a simple man. ;)

Pm returned, and package en route for delivery, DS360

No problem Sully! If we all liked the same thing this would be one seriously boring world. :-D Not to worry ... that's why Prismatic makes 6,500+ powder colors.

I'm bumping this thread.. It needs to stay closer to the top of the page... Any news on where your at on fabrication??

*looks at thread*

Me: "Honey? Did you mail that envelope to Canada weeks ago when I was at work in Louisiana?"

Her: "Oh! Nope. Didn't know how many stamps to put."

*headdesk*

I will remedy this...

I love window louvers on Dusters! Never see them on them though, see them on old Mustangs alot and Cameros.

Now thats just Funnee! It sounds so typical of every household I Know... Keep us all up to date on the progress!

It should be getting there soon. D: I hate having to deal with snail mail. It's 2012. Where are my flying cars and teleporters and stuff?

-
Back