Dyno- and its lives!

-

mrspeeddemon

"The Chrysler Kid"
Reaction score
Finnally got my 318 stroker on the dyno and it is still in one piece! I was having some issues with my Carter carb, so I switched to a Demon I had and it was even more messed up and I was sick of messin with carbs so I grabbed on of the dyno carbs- a 650 Holley and then tried a 650 Quick fuel. I pulled a respectable 370 hp at 5500 to 5800 rpm and 400 ft lbs at 4200 rpm. There might a little more in there but without tuning a carb that I will use(ie: buy) I'll have to wait until its in the car and strap it on the chassis dyno. so not to bad for a dumb kid with nothing in this motor, I think I have a total of 1800$ in the whole long block- including the intake!

DSCN0311_edited.JPG

DSCN0312_edited.JPG

DSCN0314_edited.JPG

that is an a solid 318! these are overlooked motors in my opinion. i don't know if you have posted the specifics to the engine and what you added (heads,ect..), but i would like to know. there are alot of 318's out there just waiting to be built......

mrspeeddemon;

Sorry, I'm a bit of a late comer to this. What did you stroke the engine with, and such other info.
Sounds great though. Nice torque line I bet.

nice! that is some good numbers, is it a 4" stroker or a 360crank in it?

Block: 74' 318ci, line bored, squared deck, bored .030" over
Crank: 360ci turned down to 318 mains, .020" under on the rods- balanced
Connecting Rods: 340 full floating HD rods
Pistons: Speed Pro H285CP with .050" milled off the top- came to about 9.5:1 comp
Timing: Rollmaster billet double roller, MP timing chain tensioner
Camshaft: Comp Cams Extreme Energy solid flat tappet XS268S
Heads: casting #974 360 heads ported out to 2.02" with 273 rocker arms
Intake: proffesional products Crosswind

I think thats all the specifics, if I missed something just ask. For a comparison on Sat. morning we hooked up a 383 Mopar with 11.5:1 and it just barely pulled 425 ft/lbs, not to bad for a lowly small block. (the 383 did get 435 hp though)

mrspeeddemon said:
I think I have a total of 1800$ in the whole long block- including the intake!
Block: 74' 318ci, line bored, squared deck, bored .030" over
Crank: 360ci turned down to 318 mains, .020" under on the rods- balanced
Connecting Rods: 340 full floating HD rods
Pistons: Speed Pro H285CP with .050" milled off the top- came to about 9.5:1 comp
Timing: Rollmaster billet double roller, MP timing chain tensioner
Camshaft: Comp Cams Extreme Energy solid flat tappet XS268S
Heads: casting #974 360 heads ported out to 2.02" with 273 rocker arms
Intake: proffesional products Crosswind
If you got all that machining and parts done for $1800.... :notworth:

I think I might have cheated a little- I work at a machine shop, so I just did everything on the weekends, lunch hours, after work, ect. so I guess I do have alot more into it, but I did do every thing myself! theres somewhere between 50 and 60 hours in the port work alone. 8-[

Not fair that you work in a machine shop ;)

Very nice job, and great finish on the engine looking at the pics!!
Nothing beats a stroker, and for $1800, that gives you my all my thumbs up :thumblef::thumblef::thumblef:

-
Back