E-3 plugs worth the money?

-
In spark plugs it's not just electricity we need conducted, but heat as well.
Copper and silver are at the top of the list for conducting both.
I agree and very true.

I remember awhile back on TV, watching those "Splitfire" plug commercials, a big gimmick. I still see the occasional 75%+ clearance specials here and there. Even if they were $0.10 a piece I still won't buy them. I still feel kind of the same about E3's.

It's Champions and NGK's for me.

Someone mentioned something about Nology (Silver?) awhile back. What about those? (Another gimmick?)

In spark plugs it's not just electricity we need conducted, but heat as well.
Copper and silver are at the top of the list for conducting both.
Can I but an autochampion plug?? ha ha ha. Ok, i'll try a set of Champions next then i'll try Autolite after that. Really greart info. Thanks to everyone. I appreciate it!!

I would add to RRR's post to say that nothing conducts heat away from the plug materials like copper and silver.
This is something a lot of people don't know about spark plugs, especially in performance oriented engines.

Great video. Thanks

When I said copper was the best conductor, I was including everything, including cost. It still is.

Can I but an autochampion plug?? ha ha ha. Ok, i'll try a set of Champions next then i'll try Autolite after that. Really greart info. Thanks to everyone. I appreciate it!!

Why waste your money just go with the Autolites..champions=garbage..

When I said copper was the best conductor, I was including everything, including cost. It still is.

Yup. But since the OE's are using platinum, irridium and all that other crap, because A) people are too lazy to change spark plugs and think they should last for the life of the vehicle and 2) some cars are a ***** to change, everybody thinks there is a speed secret in them.

Yup. But since the OE's are using platinum, irridium and all that other crap, because A) people are too lazy to change spark plugs and think they should last for the life of the vehicle and 2) some cars are a ***** to change, everybody thinks there is a speed secret in them.

Puzackly.

Not true. The failure rate of NGK is going through the roof right now. Search the web. It's out there. And then there are the knock offs that are having about a 95% failure rate. Guys are pissing away a bunch of time, effort and money only to find out they have a plug issue.

In the last month I've had 3 NGK copper cores go bad in my 67 Dart (360 Magnum OEM head) that I race, all in different cylinders. I run an MSD 6AL and realize a multi spark is hard on plugs, but my street car is also MSD 6AL and the Autolite 65 coppers (340 J head motor) have been in for over 2 years with no problem.
I'm going to put a few Autolite 3923 and 3924 copper plugs in and see what heat range the motor likes.

In the last month I've had 3 NGK copper cores go bad in my 67 Dart (360 Magnum OEM head) that I race, all in different cylinders. I run an MSD 6AL and realize a multi spark is hard on plugs, but my street car is also MSD 6AL and the Autolite 65 coppers (340 J head motor) have been in for over 2 years with no problem.
I'm going to put a few Autolite 3923 and 3924 copper plugs in and see what heat range the motor likes.
i'll try the autolites. what is one step colder than oem?

I have used NGK XR5's for over a year now with no issues. Daily driven, with 1300 mile road trip in July. Over 12,000 miles since installed. And I even did a few hard launches to over 120 mph.
I have a Mallory 6A ignition system.
Still runs like a top and I still get over 16-17 mpg freeway.
The Autolites I had before only lasted 3 months go figure... Must be a bad batch I guess...
I went with NGK only because I had such good luck with them on my old Kawa' Vulcan 1500 FI.

I remember back in the late 70s and through the 80s around here, you could not even get NGK plugs for anything other than foreign cars. In fact, no one but the local VW shop and one foreign car parts place sold them.

Is there an auto maker that uses NGK plugs in their new cars?

I remember back in the late 70s and through the 80s around here, you could not even get NGK plugs for anything other than foreign cars. In fact, no one but the local VW shop and one foreign car parts place sold them.

Is there an auto maker that uses NGK plugs in their new cars?
...does Chrysler count. lol?

A lot of European and of course Japanese car companies use NGK's now. Mercedes, Fiat and Alfa Romeo's etc. Apparently some newer Chryslers (due to Fiat) are putting them in now.

---http://www.iaaf.co.uk/news-item/fiat-chrysler-automobiles-honours-ngk-with-the-group-s-collaboration-award-2015

"Fiat used NGK glow plugs for the first time. Fiat recently for the first time installed NGK ceramic glow plugs in one of the group’s engines; the NHTC2 glow plug is exclusive OE in the new 2.2-litre Multi-Jet II Common Rail engine which powers the Jeep Cherokee Limited."

They're now doing glow plugs... Ok...
Yay... Can they (Fiat) make the Cherokee any uglier?

Last edited:
Yeah but not Fiat. lol
Lol if I recall we had a 09 ish jeep that had oe ngk. As well as a dodge caliber... Id say the wife's 16 charger is a little nicer than those diamler boxes....so I will stick with the italians.lol

The platinum and iridium tips are simply for longer life. They wear or erode less than standard plugs. When was the last time you drove your 408 stroker 100,000 miles without changing plugs? (Not directed at you yellow rose)

Last edited:
Lol if I recall we had a 09 ish jeep that had oe ngk. As well as a dodge caliber... Id say the wife's 16 charger is a little nicer than those diamler boxes....so I will stick with the italians.lol

When the Italians can win a war, go to the moon and build a V8 then I will give a micro **** about what the eyties do or say.

Evidently, we need to teach 19th century history better. Because it will surely repeat.

When the Italians can win a war, go to the moon and build a V8 then I will give a micro **** about what the eyties do or say.

Evidently, we need to teach 19th century history better. Because it will surely repeat.
I believe I was misinterpreted. Or im completely missing something. Im about the biggest buy American advocate there is. My "Italian" comment was merely in reference to a comparison to the daimler era... aka fca is headed in a better direction than daimler chrysler. My father retired from chrysler, when it was JUST Chrysler. Believe me, wish that was still the case.

Last edited:
Anyone tried these? The research is impressive by in affiliated companies. Do our Mopars that are modified benefit from them?
Thanks
Ok. Bought a set of Autolite copper cores from zone. what is the gap for a 408 with 10-1 and mopar electronic distributor and an msd blaster coil. no box

E3 plugs are the greatest...they are used in John Forces Funny Cars...so you know they are the best...

I run RN12YC Champions in all my LA small block mopars. Never an issue, and perform great. I have tried others, but none ever showed any signs of improvements. none.

-
Back