e-brake/frame connector battle

-

stroker_valiant

Reaction score
I came across a set of MP frame connectors for free, so I got the pass. side in fine. The driver side is a problem. The e-brake cable is running through the frame, right where I need to weld the front of the connector. I really don’t want to get rid of the e-brake, so I thought of messing with the connector. If I were to do like in my wonderful drawing, and change the way the connector mounts, would it flex too much? I don’t know if it will be strong enough, Opinions? If my drawings don’t do justice, I can take a couple pics if need be.
Well I tried resizing the drawing i made, it wont go small eb=nough. I will go out in an hour and take pics.

I think I know what you are talking about
Can you install the frame connecters then drill a hole so the cable will pass though the connecter on the drivers side ?

That problem has been addressed several different ways.
Theres a thread on a website somewhere that shows the use of a drill. The factory put a dimple ( drill center mark ) just above where the cable passes now. That hole was drilled through and the cable relocated. sorry I dont have a link to it. Good luck

Are those lasercut connectors with the contour or the square ones? I had the same problem on my dart . You have to drill a new hole for the cable.

square tubbing, not laser cut. I have looked through days and days of frame connector threads here, I didn’t see anything that pertained to the e-brake routing. So the general consensus id to drill mega hole through the connector?

I've been looking for an answer to the same question for a while now, not sure what I'm going to do. Hopefully there's some pics of what others have done.

Here are a couple pics of what we are all familiar with. I don’t think I want to drill through the connector because I would have to drill right at the joint, right at a strength point, what about cutting it back about 4 inches, and making a U shape end, where it would connect to the car at two points? Do ya’ll think it would flex too much?

DSC00643.JPG

DSC00644.JPG

Redfish, I think I just caught what you were saying: basically drill another hole in the existing frame a few inches up, and there’s the relocation. Ha, I’m going to go look and see if I have room to do that, from here it sounds insanely simple. I didn’t think of that because….?

That's what we did when we welded in the same connectors as you have. Simple solution that didn't take us 15 minutes to remedy!

-
Back