Eagle Cast Stroker Crank- Problems or No Problems?

-

sumbitmopar

Reaction score
Looking for input on actual experiences ( good or bad ) with Eagle Cast 4" crankshafts. Info on RPM's, any nitrous use, or whatever would be great. Thanks!!

HArd working 390, runs WOT a lot, 5K engine braking, stays under 5000RPM, 37,000 miles, no issues.
KB pistons on the other hand.......

they break quite often, the more i heear about them the less i like them they use to be a good name but just check out the 408 issues thread and the eagle crank thread both in the engine issues section

they break quite often, the more i heear about them the less i like them they use to be a good name but just check out the 408 issues thread and the eagle crank thread both in the engine issues section
Have you ever had one break? Quite often is kind of a relative number. They've sold quite a few.

lol well i dont know how many they have sold but i have a dear friend named mitch spicer that has been racing small block chryslers for decades and i know of 5 cast eagle cranks he has broken some of wich were circle track cars and some drag cars another friend of mine ken hensley of hensley interprise doesnt talk highly of them at all i cant say that i have ever broken one because i have simply never bought one you get what you pay for i would opt for a better quality such as scat or mp or callies

Your buddy Ken still sells Eagle cast stroker cranks for $299. His Hemi Cuda is awesome! BTW, your Scamp looks pretty sweet! What motor ?

you cant beat the prices on eagle cranks but i have heard enough about them to scare me off of them no offence to any one with one. yeah ken and matt have that car running good i am eager to see how this season goes im running a built 360 in my car

I've run 4, no issues with them that are not shared by Scat and MP (which is Scat). If they are commonly breaking them, they are not doing something right. I'm not saying they are all perfect, but certainly not to lose that many out of one shop. Unless they are simply using them in an application they can't hold up in.

If you are thinking about high RPM and Nitrous use, you shouldn't be asking about cast cranks anyway.
I'm asking about actual case of success or breakage and under what conditions. Do you have any personal experience with the Eagle Cast Stroker Crank? The purpose is not so much to educate myself on the structural integrity of cast crankshafts vs. a forged crankshaft. The purpose is to try and determine if Eagle is putting out a good product and what better way to do so than to get input from people who ACTUALLY HAVE ONE in their motor and how it's been holding up and under what conditions do they run the thing. Kapeesh?

I know you asked for personal exp. and I don't have any but I do have some input about them. I'm building a stroker and went with one for 2 reasons.

1. I bought one from a guy NIB dirt cheap.

2. My machinist builds quite a few engines for guys running all brands and said he has used several eagle cranks over the past 5-6 yrs. and never had a single failure and recommended them.

Hopefully this helps.

Thanks Fishy,Moper and Dodgetkboy. Now that sounds like "real world" first-hand stuff. Lot's of unsubstantiated info floating around out there. :read2: vs. :munky2:

It's a Scat, but I know of one cast crank that makes 530hp NA, and he runs another 175 with of NOS on it in a modified stock block. It's a street car, and he races it roughly 25 times a year. He's in the Pinks All Out in 2 cities this year. I see no issue making 600hp on an aftermarket cast crank. We are not talking factory stuff. They are really a decent part. Not a Callies... but damn good product, and all cast cranks are very similar.

I have an eagle cast crank in a street strip ride, awesome piece. Balanced up easy as well, internal balance. So far so good and the 408 runs like a champ.

I run a Eagle 408 stroker kit and have close to 140 passes on my engine.Never a problem and still running strong.:cheers:

We have an "engine issues" section?

I have an Eagle crank in a 408 and have put 5,000+ miles on it, and dozens of high 12 sec et passes in the 1/4 mi. I shift at 5,500 and had all the balancing and machining by Hughes Engines. no problems.

I also helped build a 383 SBC with an Eagle crank. It was a mostly strip car, running mid 11's and a few thousand street miles. After that it regularly got hit with 150 shots. still alive.

Important distinction between cast & forged: Old school cast cranks were ductile (or was it nodular?) iron. Forged cranks were steel. There was an ocean of difference in the strength of the two materials/processes.

Cranks like Eagle or SCAT are cast from steel instead of iron. The strength ends up between cast iron and forged steel.

Eagle cranks are made in China if I remember right.Are there any stroker cranks that are American made?

-
Back