Eagle crank, radiused fillets, scrape bearings?

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
OK, got the rods torqued down and ****, the crank is freaking tight! Before the rods were in, the crank rotated freely under torqued caps, like it should. I put the rods in and man, this thing is tight. I can turn it with a breaker bar off the balancer bolt, but it sucked the entire balancer right up to the lower cog before it turned the crank. Perhaps the King std. rod bearings I used needed to be clearanced for the full fillet journal that the Eagle cast crank has? Maybe It's just that way for a new crank, pistons, bearings and rings? The journals spec'd perfect on the mic, and the bearings are std. as well as the pistons and rings. Bores were just honed back to a std. cross hatch. Help!

also make sure you dont have a rod cap on backwards...

You can purchase bearings for a crank with fillets, what specifically are you working on? BTW, I would not reuse those bearings, they've been mashed.

You need the right rod bearings. Std "P" bearings will not work. You need an "H" style rod bearing.

Dang, Ill look tomorrow....oof! Just found the box, Im F'd.....They cross to a F.M "P" bearing...out they come...

The H series is just more narrow in size to clear the fillet (along with a few plating differences), I'm gonna grind them P's narrow, old Skool....get 'em down to .798 H series spec from .841 "P". EZ cheas-y....save me 88 buck-y!

You're gonna grind them? What I have done with the P series is mount them in an old con rod to hold them and them mount in CNC mill and interpolate with a chamfer cutter. I have seen people make fixtures to hold them and do this in a lathe. I would recommend you get the 481HN bearings--the N is for narrow. J.Rob

cb481hn

If u have a lil table belt sander, u can do it.
Take a small wood block, dremel a half circle groove in it to hold the bearing and then sand away. that way u can put a lil pressure on it and get it evenly ground, then fine file the edge.
Crude...but it works.
I did this with main bearings.

Just make sure you do the right side.lol

You're gonna grind them? What I have done with the P series is mount them in an old con rod to hold them and them mount in CNC mill and interpolate with a chamfer cutter....... J.Rob

Yeah, I wish! I saw the N's, still >$88. Worth a shot.

OK, took them all out and cut the outside edge with a bearing knife (linemans knife, worked great) cut it at about a 45, put it all back together torqued it one throw at a time turning the crank after each one and they all introduced a small amount of drag but that could be pistons too, but its MUCH better now, enough to turn with a ratchet now. That'll do, Donkey..that'll do. Lesson learned.

You have to make sure they are not riding on the fillet. If they are you will have excessive amounts of metal in the oil until it "wears" in.

-
Back