early /6 ignition upgrade

-

ram45red

Reaction score
im helping a friend upgrade his 170 /6 in a 61 valiant changing his 1brl carb to a 2brl any suggestion for changes that need to be done to his stock ignition dont think he can buy a complete after market electrictronic ignition anybody know how to wire a unit off a newer donor car or anyother modifacations to do to make this /6 perform better he is planning on installing another 170 head i suggested he at least gasket match the ports before valve job is done thanks sandy

Jump over to the slant six section of the forum...plenty of info about ll your questions.

vote for pertronix 150 bucks and you cant even tell it is there and Ive used several with no problems at all very easy to install as well but make sure you get pertronix II and their coil to match. per II adjusts for dwell like a million times a second or some stupid number lol

im helping a friend upgrade his 170 /6 in a 61 valiant changing his 1brl carb to a 2brl any suggestion for changes that need to be done to his stock ignition dont think he can buy a complete after market electrictronic ignition anybody know how to wire a unit off a newer donor car or anyother modifacations to do to make this /6 perform better he is planning on installing another 170 head i suggested he at least gasket match the ports before valve job is done thanks sandy

Yep, HEI
I build them, PM me and I can hook you up.

HEI is good if you can get a good electronic distributor (many posts). I got a new one for $40 off ebay, but lucky. If your points distributor is still good (little play in shaft), then adding a Pertronix Ignitor II to it is smart. The Ignitor II has an HEI module. As mentioned, change to a better E-core coil to take advantage of it ($20 ebay or from a Mopar Magnum V-8 or GM). I wouldn't fool with an Ignitor I or the Mopar electronic module, since both require a ballast resistor and your old round coil. Even better is the Ignitor III (w/ MSD), but I haven't seen any for a slant yet.

Reman 1973 dist...$40.00
Mopar harness P3690152... $20.00
Favorite ECU....$30.00
Easy,Easy,Easy,install.
All Chrysler,All the time.

-
Back