early A body engine swap

-

Markaylasdad

Reaction score
hello all...i'm a new member but a lifetime A body freak ! i've had 5 Dusters from '70 to 73 and 2 Demons , a 71 and a '72 in my younger years. I'll be 61 in may and i'm feeling the itch for another A body screamer ! I recently bought a 1966 'cuda...6 cyl. automatic with a clear title. I also avcquired a 1964 valiant signet that is in rough shape but had an early model (points distributer) 318 and a 4 speed tranny. My question is would i have to swap the "K" member to put the 318 in the 'cuda or are there mounts available that will work ? If the mounts are available , that would be great ! that way i could easily put the car back to an original , matching numbers , 6 cylinder automatic Barracuda. Any ideas ?

Early A k-members are the same whether slant or 273 (the only V8 available in them). You just need V8 engine mounts.

Early A bodies only have one K member for both /6 and V8’s. Difference is in the engine mounts.

Honestly if the car is not a real Commando 273 car it will likely sell quicker and for more money with the 318 in it.

Early A bodies only have one K member for both /6 and V8’s. Difference is in the engine mounts.
thats what i thought...do you know if it would take a custom mount or just standard motor mounts ? The 318 in the Valiant isn't the origonal engine...it would have been a 273. I am on the lookout fou a 340 to build as in my opinion...that's the king of mopar small blocks ! i swear...i can hear one idling a city block away. they have a sound all their own.

Just standard engine side mounts. When I bought my 66 Dart it had a hot 340 in it and was a quick car. I learned is was a rare 273 4 bbl (and had come with the original engine) so it went back in. Now it’s getting a Gen 3 Hemi

This 'cuda looks rough but when you get up close it is a solid body and has a lot of potential... I got the cuda and the valiant for less than $3,000 so I've got room to spend money and still be okay.
The Chrome from the valiant signet was an excellent shape. It is a 200 series and the Chrome alone brought pretty good money. This barracuda is the one car I've always wanted and even though it is a little rough I've been a mechanic all my life and I'm not a bad body man either so I'm looking forward to putting it together and making it right.
I'll have to find an 8 3/4 in differential for it and a few other odd and end things.

IMG_20230227_135016086_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230227_134521994.jpg

IMG_20230227_134536456.jpg

IMG_20230227_134613197_HDR.jpg

just need stock V8 mounts. can get new ones here if need be. '63-66 A-Body 273/318 or 340/360 Kit

need a V8 centerlink

need a V8 gas pedal assembly unless you just want to convert to a 67-up pedal set up

need 63-66 273 exhause manifolds uness you wanto run heades which are expensive for anearly a.

just need stock V8 mounts. can get new ones here if need be. '63-66 A-Body 273/318 or 340/360 Kit

need a V8 centerlink

need a V8 gas pedal assembly unless you just want to convert to a 67-up pedal set up

need 63-66 273 exhause manifolds uness you wanto run heades which are expensive for anearly a.
Agree

Throttle cable for the gas pedal conversion also. The engine mounts ot the 64 should work if not mistaken.

The 6cyl in the '66 isn't the original anyway, so, swap away! If the '64 is just a parts car, it should have all the conversion parts you need to put the 318 in the '66. Going to a 340 will require a bit more thought and conversion parts. Upgrades to the brakes and rear axle are definitely recommended.

need a V8 centerlink

I have the manifolds from the Signet...wonder if they will work/fit ?

Well boys...the 'cuda is in the garage. I hope to pull the 6cylinder tonite. While i have thje motor out i'll clean and paint/undercoat the engine compartment and firewall.

The Signet manifolds will work if they are from an original V8 Early A. The drivers side bottom flange points pretty much straight back. The motor mounts should work too, if they were original to the car.

When you get the motor out, post a pic of your steering center link and maybe we can tell you if it's a V8 center link. A lot of 66 A bodies got V8 center links even if they were factory 6 cylinder cars. Even if it isn't a V8 center link in the 66, the one in the Valiant will swap over if it was a factory V 8 car.

The 6cyl in the '66 isn't the original anyway, so, swap away! If the '64 is just a parts car, it should have all the conversion parts you need to put the 318 in the '66. Going to a 340 will require a bit more thought and conversion parts. Upgrades to the brakes and rear axle are definitely recommended.
Absolutly...if i go that route later on i would want an 8 3/4 in. differential also. Glad you mentioned the center link...don't think i would have thought of that !

When you get the motor out, post a pic of your steering center link and maybe we can tell you if it's a V8 center link. A lot of 66 A bodies got V8 center links even if they were factory 6 cylinder cars. Even if it isn't a V8 center link in the 66, the one in the Valiant will swap over if it was a factory V 8 car.
6 cyllinder and tranny is out. i'll post pics tomorrow.

You might want to do some homework on the engine mounts if you are doing a 318 now and a 340 later. I believe they are different from a 273/318 and 340/360, so the 340 would need another set.

-
Back