Early A body S6 to V8 engine mount bracket question

-

prorac1

Reaction score
We picked up a 63 valiant that had a V8 conversion YEARS ago. These are the brackets that it was bolted in with. Anybody have any idea what these came from? Thanks, Eric L

Those look like a aftermarket or homemade version of the 64-66 A body V-8 mounts.

Those look like a aftermarket or homemade version of the 64-66 A body V-8 mounts.

Thanks for the input. That's kinda what im finding. I cant really find any factory brackets in pics that have the slotted mounting holes for the insulators. Thanks, Eric L

Actually that's a lot like what mine look like. I'm at work but can get pics later. The plates look very simple - just like that.

Actually that's a lot like what mine look like. I'm at work but can get pics later. The plates look very simple - just like that.

Do you know what yours originally came off of? I cant find any part or casting numbers on them either. Thanks, Eric L

The only pics ive been able to find that look similar seem to be truck mounts as well. Eric L

Agree that they look like Dodge pickup. Have a similar pair sitting in my shop.
Came from 89 Dodge pickup with small block.

The ones I have are off a '65 barracuda but they are buried on a shelf at the moment. I forgot how much stuff I jambed on those shelves...lol.
I also have truck - I reaplced the headers on my W250 last weekend an got a good look. I think the truck ones are taller - I don't think they could be used in a car but I might be wrong.

Yeah, these look almost to tall for a car, but it does have the thin biscuits. Ill find out when I go to test fit the engine into the car, lol. Eric L

They could be cut down and re drilled van or truck mounts - that's what I used when I first swapped a 360 into my '63 wagon.

These Are the 64-66 273 (A-Body) engine mounts (Modified to be slightly lighter) I used in my 63 Valiant with the 340 & 4 speed. Never had any problem... Broke nothing and the pads I used/made between mounts and k-member were solid Aluminum... (not the rubber biscuits & my answer to my friends running elephant ears on their big blocks) Note: this is back in the early 70's... (before "Schumacher")

Clif of Az. :coffee2:

Attachments

• 273Mounts.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 207
Bought mounts for my 65 gt in the mid 80s mr gasket . The ones you have look wery mutch like . the mr gasket ones.

jeppe swede the bad speller

Thanks for the ID help guys. These were bolted to an older 318 with what appear to be the THIN buiscuit mounts. Im going to have to mock everything up and modify accordingly.

As it sits im thinking were going to use either a set of magnum manifolds or the 68 318 manifolds for the exhaust, but again, a test fit will tell which will work better.

Next were onto the "hump ectomy" Were parting out the 65 and using the radiator saddle, dash, and firewall.

Thanks again, Eric L

86 Dodge pickup I cut up for an engine cradle looked the same, cant verify the depth though and mine were from a 360. I actually cut the corner off per MP to make my 360 conversion mounts.

When we were over at dads today I looked at the rubber isolator mounts that go between the brackets and the K frame. They appear to be the thin (just over 1" thick) ones. So this combo just might mount the 318 in the car properly, but the brackets look to tall to me. We will see when we test fit the drive train. Eric L

When we were over at dads today I looked at the rubber isolator mounts that go between the brackets and the K frame. They appear to be the thin (just over 1" thick) ones. So this combo just might mount the 318 in the car properly, but the brackets look to tall to me. We will see when we test fit the drive train. Eric L

They needed to be pretty tall to mount a 273/318/340/360 LA in a 63to66 A-Body... Here is what it looked like on mine... Note: I was using the 64 to 66 273 factory mounts and my custom made Solid Aluminum pads...

Clif of Az. :coffee2:

Attachments

• race340_Mount.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 125
Thanks for the pic cliff. What were running into is the fact that the metal bracket pictured above is quite a bit taller than a standard early A body bracket. So I'm hoping that using that coupled with the thin "ice cream sand witch" isolators, lol. Will equal out. We will see when we test fit the engine. Thanks again. Eric L

-
Back