Early A-body SBlock headers

-
68GTconvert said:
Wow good to know. I have to get some of those laysons headers for my 66.

I see we think the same. If you are talking about the 66 I am buying. :thumblef:

Update on Dougs headers they were bought out and there new owners only list post 67 headers :sad2: see new owners here pertronix

Well, at last, _some_ current info on the Spitfire headers! And
_good) news to boot!!! I've seen an article on installing what I
supose were 1st generation Spitfires on a turquoise Valiant. They
needed a good bit of massaging to fit, and required a 90 degree oil
filter adaptor and a short filter too. Another thread showed a
remote oil filter setup, which I think I would prefer.

That first thread mentioned a "new" version Spitfire that would dump
above the t-bars, I have never attempted to fabricate/modify a
product to fit as shown in that article. If the new ones dump above
the torsions, how tough is the fabrication to get the exhaust out from
there?"

Maybe a flange at that point and a dimpled pipe to make the run past
the t-bar and to the rear would simplify installation??? Anybody know
for sure? At any rate, I'm planning on calling Harold as instructed,
after the first. Maybe Spitfire could provide a foot or two of
pre-bent and dimpled exhaust pipe with the headers???

I've been leaning strongly toward biting the bullet and buying the
Doug's headers, but hoping, (and asking on other forums)if anyone
had seen how they got installed, with no response. I saw one note
that someone had paid a shop for five or six hours of labor to
install a set of the Dougs. Here in South Austin, Texas, that would
just about _double_ the cost!!! They're mighty pretty, and
I suppose they work pretty well, but DAMN!!!

I have a heck of a lot of appreciation for a "little guy" working a
regular job and building a product for such a small market. So I
will try to deal with Harold first!!!

64ragtop said:
I've been leaning strongly toward biting the bullet and buying the
Doug's headers, but hoping, (and asking on other forums)if anyone
had seen how they got installed, with no response. QUOTE]

From there( they buyers of dougs) new web site they no longer make the early a headers only post 67 form the 2006 catalog.

I called Petronix last week to check on the Doug's D-450 headers. The sales rep indicated that they don't have them in the catalog becuase they're not a high demand item, but he confirmed 100% that they still make them. They don't have any in stock right now, but are currently taking orders (6-8 weeks) on the next batch. Still $960 per set, chromed. D-450 headers are 1-5/8" tubes into a 2-1/2" collector. Have taked to numerous guys that have the Doug's D-450 and they all say they fit great. No problems, just expensive.

The folks at TTI are currently saying late spring/early summer before their headers hit the market. Looking at $750-800 per set, coated. Reportedly 1-5/8" tubes stepped into 1-3/4" into 3" collectors.

According to Charlie on the EVBC List...

Harold, has the Spitfire headers available, again. These are for the 273-360 motors in the early "A" bodies. Contact info is 1-479-650-9989

Well, I called Harold back in January, shortly after Charrlie announced that he was back in bidness. He did call me back, and said he would call again when he could build me a set of his spitfires. Still waiting. Gonna call him. Darnit, I hate the not knowing part worst of all!!!

A/MP said:
Dougs headers not Doug Thoroly's headers makes a great header for the '64-66 A body when using a small block. Access to plugs is good and it fits the compartment well. I don't run inner fenders. It does get a little tight around the 727 tranny. I installed them and used a long pry bar to tweek some extra space. I'll be wrapping the collectors for additional heat protection. You get more turning space with this brand than you can get with fenderwell headers. These headers are two piece. I just put together a '65 Dart with a roller cam 360. This set up is almost as loud as my 23T Altered some 20 years ago. Good Luck.

Dougs sold out to Petronix before the 1st of the year. At this time they are not making the early a body headers. For those of you that don't know these headers are patterened after the old D/Dart headers. They are small tuble (1 5/8") with a 2.5" collector. They were designed to run on the 273 and they make plenty of power with that motor however I'm sure you would need more header with a roller cammed 360

64ragtop said:
Well, I called Harold back in January, shortly after Charrlie announced that he was back in bidness. He did call me back, and said he would call again when he could build me a set of his spitfires. Still waiting. Gonna call him. Darnit, I hate the not knowing part worst of all!!!

Well, I tried to give Harold the benefit of the doubt, but it looks like back to the old ways. I was supposed to have a set back in January. I still have not recieved them and just get a voice mailbox, when calling. Do not get a return call. Like 64 said, it is not knowing when or if, I will ever get a set. If Harold would just be upfront on delivery times, I think most of us could live with a long lead time.

My new early A-body TTI headers are on order. Should be ready in mid-April. Will post some pictures and a summary of the install when I get them.

DJVCUDA said:
ooh one more thing - they will NOT fit eddy heads!

Where do they hit on the Edelbrock heads? I've been considering the 3 choices for headers for my 66 Barracuda. Spitfires seem to be the best since I know they won't interfere with the hydraulic clutch I plan to install. I also plan on Edelbrock heads in the future. But now it's back to the drawing board. Arrghh.

Lee
1966 Barracuda 340 4 speed

-
Back