Early A-body vs Later A-body

Early A-body vs Late A-body

• Total voters
-
As a guy who loves them all, I'm psyched to see the poll split at 50/50 (as of the moment...). I voted "late" because I think the mechanical improvements were pretty important and did make the As into better all around cars over the years. Obviously, you can retrofit just about all of these improvements onto the early machines so the difference is mostly unimportant these days.

Voted late , but would take one of each . My favorite A body is the 67-69 Barracuda , any model will do , would like 1 convertible one fastback and 1 coupe . Next a 64- 66 Dart , already have a 70 Dart so next is a 68 convertible . My mother had a 68 convertible dark blue with white top blue buckets with 273 4 bbl , car should have been mine but a cousin needed a car so my father sold it to him and he crashed it :-( off to the junkyard . Itwas to be put in storage for 2 years till I got a drivers permit , still don't talk to that cousin .

For ease of driving and handling - my mother bought a new 1970 'Duster 340',
a 4-Speed, Disc-Brakes, 3.23 Sure-Grip and Power-Steering for $3000 in May 1970.

That car handled so well, and never had a problem in 5-Years and 50,000 Miles.

1970, a break-thru year for A-Body Mopars with improved quality workmanship.

Not voting, it's like asking what one of my kids I like better.

I pursued a later A-body and ended up w/an early A-body..go figure..

*First car was a '63 Valient ..musta been one of those psychological things..

:)

Wish the later As had a wagon body style. Personally, I divide A's into 3 generations. 60-66, 67-72, 73-76. Of the 3, I prefer the second generation. But I still sometimes wish for a wagon.

1965 Barracuda

The best 'Front Grille' for the early A-Body Cars.

th

Like them both - but if I was forced to choose which group had the ones taht appeal more - it's the later ones. Both in terms of overall design and economy of modification.

I like the later ones better, not to say that i don't like the early ones.......

Just wish Plymouth had gone through with their original plan for a
'limited production' 1966 Valiant 'S' 273/255 HP car.

1966 Valiant V-100 'S' with the 273 'Commando-X'

#2808 lbs. ~ 255 HP = 11.03 Wt/Hp

I've owned more later As than early As, but I've owned my early As longer than my later As.

I love my 69 valiant but I would really like to get a 66 valiant. They are really cool.

Apparently I'm a Dart guy, I've had '70,'71 and '72.
like the '70-'71 grill better than '72. Had them in reverse order, currently have the '70.
I think the '69 340 advertising got me as an 8 year old.
6000RPM-$3000!
Even then I knew the lightest car with the right powerplant was the ticket!
That said, I LOVE the '63-'66 Darts.They're even lighter.
And they look like little B bodies!
A couple years back there there was a '64 on E-bay I wish I hadn't been so cheap about, Candymatic/Ramchargers looking paint job, Silver/black instead of white/red, big block, full cage, Steelies out back with torq thrusts on the front.
It was like a baby SuperStock...
I still kick myself, I HAD the money, THEN...
That car was soooo bad-***.

They are odd little cars but they are the grandfather of all the others.
Love them, hate them, fugly, or what ever you think, nobody is on the fence.
I love my lil A!

Attachments

• IMG_5327_30.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 307
This little 66' Valiant 'V-100' 273/235 HP was originally owned by
Plymouth in 1966, with the body and suspension prepped at the 'factory'
by the 'Chrysler Racing Group'.

The Valiant V-100 was built to 'hit' the shipping weight mark of #2808 lbs.

Bill Stiles was contracted by Plymouth to build the 273/235 HP engine,
as the car was set to attack the 1966 NHRA 'F/SA' Class in NED 1
and National Record of 13.81 @ 103.40 MPH.

* Headers, provided by Jere Stahl.

Below, {1968 Photo} where the car is classed in H/SA.

They are odd little cars but they are the grandfather of all the others.
Love them, hate them, fugly, or what ever you think, nobody is on the fence.
I love my lil A!

Know what, you built your car to please YOU, and nobody else and that's the way it should be. I respect you 100% for doing that. Weird, ugly fugly whatever. It's unique and that's what makes them special. You could have opted out with a mustang or camero but we all didn't.

-
Back