"Early A" doesn't cut it

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
I took my 63 Valiant convertible to a Mopar show once and the early A class was 64-66. They didn't have a class for me. (But they were nice; created a class just for me and gave me a trophy.)

I took my 63 Valiant convertible to a Mopar show once and the early A class was 64-66. They didn't have a class for me. (But they were nice; created a class just for me and gave me a trophy.)
One of my sorta funny stories. Back in the mid 90s or so I made a run from Mo. to Ga. to see my old mom, and as always look for some Mopar or parts to buy for the trip back. In Ga. I bought a Max Wedge engine less intake and carbs and some E body stuff, E body hemi k etc. I went back by way of S.C. to stop off at a Mopar show. There we are two buds there with two 62 B bodies, one of which was a vert, both had MW engines. Real or clone don't recall. One of them bought the engine and had me deliver it to him the next day. He was a dentist and had me roll it not one of his dentist rooms! His secretry said " this ain't the first time and IF his wife finds out it might be his last time!" :rofl:

Really? Share with us what the same parts say on 61 A body that will fit say a 65 A body, besides the power train.
Well, h'mm. No powertrain parts? Okeh: Door locks and keys° · Trunk lock and key° · Trunk mat · Gas cap · Armrests* · Sunvisors · Ignition switch · Ignition lock and key · Headlight switch · Wiper switch · Door surround windlace and weather seal · Trunk seal · Windshield and backglass lockstrip · Hood bumpers · Door bumpers · Accelerator pedal assembly · Steering wheel** · Horn ring** · Horn ring centre ornament** · Brake light switch† · Reversing light switch (w/ auto trans) · Shock absorbers · Upper + lower control arms and bushings** · Ball joints** · Torsion bars · Steering box** · K-frame** · Rear springs · Brake master cylinder · Brakes entire, from backing plates to drums · Wheel lugs · Wheels · Wheel covers* · Rearview mirror · Sideview mirror · Pitman and idler arms** · Centre link** · Front turn signal assemblies†† · Reversing light lenses††† · Floorpan repair panels

° '60-'65. The '66 cars use '67+ locks, which…oops, there's a hole in your argument.

* You said "will fit", not "look exactly the same"

** '62, which counts if we're being honest with one another and leaving the goalposts in one place; you said the the '60-'62 cars should be separate from the '63-'66 cars.

† Starting with mid-'61 switch from hydraulic to mechanical switch

†† '60-'62 Valiant + '64-'65 Valiant; '61-'62 Lancer + '63 Valiant + '63-'64 Dart

††† '62 Valiant + '63-'64 Dart wagon

Last edited:
The nomenclature used is inaccurate, my suggestion implied is fix it. "Early A" is 1960, 61, 62. "Mid A" is 63 thru 66, and then "Late A", is everything later.
Okeh, here y'go, the left hand giveth: You're right. The '60-'62 cars are different in a lot of ways to the '63-'66 cars, which in turn are different in a lot of ways to the cars made after '66. There; y'been heard. Feel better now?

Good. Hang onto that, because now the right hand taketh away: You're also wrong. The '62 cars have a bunch of one-year-only differences to the '60-'61 cars; the '63 cars have a bunch of one-year-only differences versus '64-'66; the '67 cars have a bunch of one-year-only differences versus '68 and later, the '73 cars have a sturdy batch of differences from the '74-'76 cars, and the '73-'76 cars are different in a bunch of ways to the '68-'72 cars. So either you'd have to argue that the discussions should be split up as '60-'61; '62; '63; '64-'66; '67; '68-'72; '73; '74-'76 (which is even more of a losing argument than the one you're pursuing) or you'd have to admit that you're just arbitrarily rattlin' yer keyboard (pretty sturdy case to be made).

And guess what: practically, it don't make no nevermind on here, nohow. You might have a point worth chasing if there were enough traffic in the Early A-Body subforum to make it difficult for people to keep up or cause individual posts to get drowned out, but there isn't; never has been. And there's a history of drawing the A-body discussion dividing line between '66 and '67, going back long before this board existed, back to the early-1980s start of the Slant-6 Club of America. It doesn't need messing with; it works fine, and…yer just gonna hafta cope, dude.

Speaking as a Usenet veteran with decades of experience arguing on the internet: sometimes it is best to just stop growling, drop the stick, walk away, and console yourself with your certainty that you're right and everybody else in the whole wide world is wrong (hover your mouse over the panel for the second caption or you'll miss half the fun).

Well, h'mm. No powertrain parts? Okeh: Door locks and keys · Trunk lock and key · Trunk mat · Gas cap · Armrests* · Sunvisors · Ignition switch · Ignition lock and key · Headlight switch · Wiper switch · Door surround windlace and weather seal · Trunk seal · Windshield and backglass lockstrip · Hood bumpers · Door bumpers · Accelerator pedal assembly · Steering wheel** · Horn ring** · Horn ring centre ornament** · Brake light switch† · Reversing light switch (w/ auto trans) · Shock absorbers · Upper + lower control arms and bushings** · Ball joints** · Torsion bars · Steering box** · K-frame** · Rear springs · Brake master cylinder · Brakes entire, from backing plates to drums · Wheel lugs · Wheels · Wheel covers* · Rearview mirror · Sideview mirror · Pitman and idler arms** · Centre link** · Front turn signal assemblies†† · Reversing light lenses†††

* You said "will fit", not "look exactly the same"

** '62, which counts if we're being honest with one another and leaving the goalposts in one place; you said the the '60-'62 cars should be separate from the '63-'66 cars.

† Starting with mid-'61 switch from hydraulic to mechanical switch

†† '60-'62 Valiant + '64-'65 Valiant; '61-'62 Lancer + '63 Valiant + '63-'64 Dart

††† '62 Valiant + '63-'64 Dart wagon
So while you are on fire figuratively, now share with us all the items of current "Early A"s that also "fit" non early "A's".

Last edited:
Okeh, here y'go, the left hand giveth: You're right. The '60-'62 cars are different in a lot of ways to the '63-'66 cars, which in turn are different in a lot of ways to the cars made after '66. There; y'been heard. Feel better now?

Good. Hang onto that, because now the right hand taketh away: You're also wrong. The '62 cars have a bunch of one-year-only differences to the '60-'61 cars; the '63 cars have a bunch of one-year-only differences versus '64-'66; the '67 cars have a bunch of one-year-only differences versus '68 and later, the '73 cars have a sturdy batch of differences from the '74-'76 cars, and the '73-'76 cars are different in a bunch of ways to the '68-'72 cars. So either you'd have to argue that the discussions should be split up as '60-'61; '62; '63; '64-'66; '67; '68-'72; '73; '74-'76 (which is even more of a losing argument than the one you're pursuing) or you'd have to admit that you're just arbitrarily rattlin' yer keyboard (pretty sturdy case to be made).

And guess what: practically, it don't make no nevermind on here, nohow. You might have a point worth chasing if there were enough traffic in the Early A-Body subforum to make it difficult for people to keep up or cause individual posts to get drowned out, but there isn't; never has been. And there's a history of drawing the A-body discussion dividing line between '66 and '67, going back long before this board existed, back to the early-1980s start of the Slant-6 Club of America. It doesn't need messing with; it works fine, and…yer just gonna hafta cope, dude.

Speaking as a Usenet veteran with decades of experience arguing on the internet: sometimes it is best to just stop growling, drop the stick, walk away, and console yourself with your certainty that you're right and
everybody else in the whole wide world is wrong (hover your mouse over the panel for the second caption or you'll miss half the fun).
Your advice is not without merit, garnted, but the negative often emotional response here has itself been rather informative. Obviously, we disagree with what defines "messing with" and likely what the real purpose of a dedicated "suggestion forum" is on a website other than maybe window dressing.

Last edited:
Because the reason for combining is by your response the cars in question do share a lot of parts that fit, , so if early A's and A's also share a lot of parts that fit, their separation comes into question other than "history" you mention that few seem to understand, know of or care about.

Last edited:
Yea but.... there are maybe 5 people in the whole world (me included) that love the 60-62 "early A" so you have a small audience!!!!! :poke:
:BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :confederateflag:
:thumbsup:
I repect passon, not numbers, because I have nothing to sell, I want nothing from anybody, and I am not running for office.

Last edited:
Because the reason for combining is by your response the cars in question do share a lot of parts that fit

You issued a challenge to list non-powertrain parts shared across the '62/'63 line. I did so. That's all; that's done.

so if early A's and A's also share a lot of parts that fit, their separation comes into question

…my god, man! This could upend the whole, entire history of the Chrysler A-body as we know it! It stands to radically change how these cars are discussed on forums like this, in ways like…

…like…um…

…well, for example, uh…

Donno what's got into you, but y'might go see about getting it removed.

the negative often emotional response here has itself been rather informative.

I see, and what do you take it to mean?

what the real purpose of a dedicated "suggestion forum" is on a website other than maybe window dressing.

Well, let's consult the dictionary.

noun, suggestion; plural noun, suggestions

:an idea or plan put forward for consideration

Huh. I don't see anything in there about you make a suggestion and »POOF« it is enacted just because you suggested it. I'll keep looking; it's gotta be in there somewhere.

Because it was intended to be a welcomed suggestion (and why there is a Suggestion/Comments forum at the very top opening menu/listing) that might help improve the site, for those in charge or the owners to ponder, they know the bottom line, the limits of their system, the target audience they seek, and maybe want to grow, not a rock throwing free for all.
This place is not a democracy last time I checked.

Last edited:
You issued a challenge to list non-powertrain parts shared across the '62/'63 line. I did so. That's all; that's done.
Then you haven't read the entire thread, which is OK, it's rather circuitous at this point. I addressed/questioned the arbitrariness of the existing divide a ways back, and by implication, if enough parts interchange across the entire spectrum, if one arbitrary divide is OK, why not more?
…my god, man! This could upend the whole, entire history of the Chrysler A-body as we know it! It stands to radically change how these cars are discussed on forums like this, in ways like…

…like…um…

…well, for example, uh…

Donno what's got into you, but y'might go see about getting it removed.

Thank you, send me a bill

Wow! I started at post #1 and made it to post# 37 and skipped now to the end at page 5 and post #119... I have a friggin headache.
But would J-c-c wanna buy my friggin 62 Lancer!!!????? :thumbsup:

My 63 Valiant convertible has the same chrome seat trim as a 62 Chrysler 300H and the 62 Polara 500 convertible my folks bought new. Also, the Valiant's rear ashtrays are the same as the front console ashtrays in a 300H and a 62 Polar 500. Plus, they all use the same ignition switch.

The nomenclature used is inaccurate, my suggestion implied is fix it. :thumbsup:
Thanks for asking.
It sounds like more of a demand to me. Your post above is why I moved it to a discussion forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back