Early-A Exhaust Manifold Bracket- V8

-

65Valiant310

Reaction score
On the Early-A Driver Side exhaust manifold, 273 V8 models, and maybe later models, there was a bracket that attached from the manifold collector to the bellhousing I believe. Anyone have a picture of what it looks like?
Thanks

Check 65DartChargers restoration thread he has a pic in there. You may enjoy his thread as most of us do.

I don't have such bracket on my 65 273. Mine was a factory 2 bbl. It is likely a hack mechanic lost it if there was one.

Great info. I wondered what the extra hole in my left exhaust manifold exit was for.

Sounds like most of them got lost, or weren't there in the first place. That looks like a place where very little extra bracing would be needed, but with all her foibles, Ma Mopar's never been noted for including unnecessary pieces. Was that brace for A/C cars, or 4-speeds?? Inquiring minds....

BC

I will keep a look out for them at the parts bins at the socal spring fling coming up, or fab some up. I am also curious if they were for a/c or 4-speed cars

That's cool! I can see where some extra bracing could be handy right there. With the length of the exhaust manifold going down through the engine compartment, I can see where some over zealous wrencher could get some leverage on it and break it. Or maybe a hard bash on the exhaust system. Not easy to find another either these days.

If anyone finds one loose somewhere, it would be nice to have maybe a center of hole to center of hole dimension so a body could fabricate their own. I wouldn't mind having at least one of them on my engine for insurance. Dennis

All cars with 273 had them. The reason that people remove them is that it is easier to remove the upper screw holding the starter than it is with the bracketin place. Mostly survivors still have them.

Neither of mine did and my 'S' was an original survivor..at one time. Both CA cars..? That bracket looks hokey. Just make one out of flattened 3/8 or 1/2 EMT.

Those would be super easy to make.

If anyone finds one loose somewhere, it would be nice to have maybe a center of hole to center of hole dimension so a body could fabricate their own. I wouldn't mind having at least one of them on my engine for insurance. Dennis

I found one of them last night The upper one, I think. From a '65 Dart.

The holes are centered just under 5 inches apart, but one hole is oblong to allow for some adjustment.

brace-top.jpg

brace-side.jpg

-
Back