Early A steering column question

-

Thanks Mike. I was looking at mine and I can't tell if it is. The class that I run in requires one, but if the car never came with one and I can run a factory column then I'm confused. I might have to call someone on this one.

The closest thing is that under the steering column there is a small track. That's where the bracket which hold the tube is placed. That tube can be pushed in almost 1,5 inches. If that's a collapsible I don't know!!

My 65 formula s does not collapse never heard of any such thing on any early a bodies! In fact to move it you just unbolt the u that hold it to the frame and it will come down just a bit to get at wires and such. But it does not move about much at all. I have had to move mine to do wire work with ignition and speedometer dash lights ect. It is not so easy to pull out the dash for instance as the sterrring colum has to be let down to get at it all! it is all good handy work just gotta be patient and it gets done, but not allot of room to work with. I will soon be doing it again as I want to replace entire wiring system with a new set up kit! One of the final things to do on my restoration of 65 formula s. It is a driver, 318, front disc brakes, runs like a purring cat! Just drove it from Maryland to Chicago a few weeks ago! !8 mpg avg 65-70 mph all was lovely! People just double taken me passing them on the tollways!!! Ohio turnpike at the tollbooth I was asked what year make model by the toll lady as I was the talk of the radio, cops and all watching me come down the road!!! Gotta love being a different looking car than most ever see! Love my Barracuda biggest glass window ever made in an American car!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My 65 formula s does not collapse never heard of any such thing on any early a bodies! In fact to move it you just unbolt the u that hold it to the frame and it will come down just a bit to get at wires and such. But it does not move about much at all. I have had to move mine to do wire work with ignition and speedometer dash lights ect. It is not so easy to pull out the dash for instance as the sterrring colum has to be let down to get at it all! it is all good handy work just gotta be patient and it gets done, but not allot of room to work with. I will soon be doing it again as I want to replace entire wiring system with a new set up kit! One of the final things to do on my restoration of 65 formula s. It is a driver, 318, front disc brakes, runs like a purring cat! Just drove it from Maryland to Chicago a few weeks ago! !8 mpg avg 65-70 mph all was lovely! People just double taken me passing them on the tollways!!! Ohio turnpike at the tollbooth I was asked what year make model by the toll lady as I was the talk of the radio, cops and all watching me come down the road!!! Gotta love being a different looking car than most ever see! Love my Barracuda biggest glass window ever made in an American car!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wow... something wrong there; I've never had a v8 mopar car get anything under 15 MPG; 8 MPG is about right for a 440... motorhome!

sounds like you need to do some major tuning

wow... something wrong there; I've never had a v8 mopar car get anything under 15 MPG; 8 MPG is about right for a 440... motorhome!

sounds like you need to do some major tuning

I think !8 was a typo and he meant 18 mpg.

Correcto Mundo 18 MPG typo was it! In fact yesterday before going over to my love of my lifes house, soon to be my wife! I went out and fired up the Barracuda, three pumps on gas pedal, turn the key and varoom varoom!!! it is a lovely thing when your baby does exactly what you want! She fires up just like a tiger wanting to eat something for breakfast...say a mustang!!!!! LOL I let her warm up and run for about 10 minutes not wanting to run around on the salty roads here in North side of Chicago! Just waiting now for some nice weather and fun will begin! Happy New Year to all and may 2013 be fun and Mopar proud for all!!!!!

Gregg 1965Cudalover!

The Borgeson website has some info on collapsible shafts. Might have to use their column, I didn't look closely.

ATB

BC

69+ cars had a collapsible column, per federal mandate. The outer tube has a web mesh that can crush axially. The center rod is a 2-piece sliding unit, unlike your solid rod. I wonder if old rusty ones actually slide anymore. Maybe you could retrofit a later column to your car, but never read that. If so, look for an early one, before they switched to the in-column key switch and steering lock.

The impaling risk was from an accident so severe that the K-frame and steering gear is shoved inward. I imagine that is real, based on crash dummy tests, but seems that would only happen in conditions that are close to fatal regardless.

Bolting up to the firewall should be no issue, but under the dash will take a little custom work, since the later column in wider.

-
Back