Early Barracuda patch panels

-

grimreaper

Cross Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a source for 64-65 Barracuda/Valaint rear lower quarter patch panels? I made a set but that was an ordeal, so for my next job I ordered from Laysons. That turned out to be a bigger ordeal. (took almost a year) SO has anyone had any experience with lower quarter patch panels?

I was wandering about this also. I was looking at the skins for my 66 barracuda from Laysons, but have read about the problems people have with getting items from Laysons haven't tried.

Look at usbody.com They are listing patch and arch panels. Jeff

There's a guy over on the "Barracuda Owner's Group""(BOG) Yahoo group that works for Layson's and is putting together some group buys as well as "sprucing up" Layson's reputation. Here's his email addy...give him a try

Rick [email protected]

I ordered a set of front floor pans among other various parts, from Layson's at the end of Jan. it took 2 months for the first one and I'm still waiting on the second (left side) floorpan. Everytime I call I get the same story. "Sorry it's on back order and will be drop shipped from the company that makes them" I will never REPEAT never buy from them again.

Well as much I don't want to say this. I got mine from Layson's and they were one of the nicest things I put on the car.

Lee

I got an email back from rick at Layson's, and he said he checked the stock on the 66 panels and they had 30 sets ready to ship. Will be ordering a set next month. Will let you all know how it went.

66 blue fish,,, if laysons has 30 sets now, they might not have them by next month,,dont loose out,,,
its sad,,but laysons is the only co,,trying to do repop early A body stuff,,,dave layson started that co,,because he couldnt get parts for his early A,,as you can see he works on a shoe string budget,,,and is very hard to deal with,,if they ever get the heads out of there,,,,butts he could make a killing,,and make a lot of A body guys happy,,in my opinion,,,the normal thinking is that early A body guys dont have the big bucks to spend on the restos,,,so we are the last guys to see parts if ever,,,dave layson saw the big B and E body blue light special lite in the sky and left us hanging,,i have been waiting 6 years,,for 66 cuda tail light housings,,and over a year now for 66 rear window trim,,the guy on the yahoo thing,, im pretty sure is the same guy that tried to get orders from guys on this site,, but he wanted group orders,,all the same,,not guys that needed different things,,last i read he never came thur with any of it,,what a shame,,, al tho,, i have seen that metro soft seal is starting to repop some much need weather strip,,,i believe i got the first set of early A vent window gaskets out of the mold,,,they look great just my 2 censts

Well, I read that Layson's was supposed to have patch panels in stock now. I called them and they said they couldn't check stock (I see they're still big on customer service??)so I got off the phone. Well 66bluefish said they were supposed to have some so I thought I'd take another gamble..... I ordered a left lower panel via internet. It arrived in just a few days. And the quality is nice! The price billed is higher than their internet listing and they charged me $44.00 shipping for a 9lb box that is 30 x 15 x 6!!! But hey, I got what I ordered and only had to endure two disappointments on one order with Layson's!!!!

Guys, if you want to know if Layson's has what you are looking for send an e-mail to [email protected]. He has been very helpful. He is really trying to give Layson's a better rep. I have had great service from him. He will be out of the office for a few weeks. He is taking the truck to Columbus and then heading to Canada for their big Mopar show. He is also advertising specials on Moparts and listing items on eBay. They like you using Paypal to pay for items.
If you ever want to know if you are bieng ripped off on shipping go to ups.com and click on shipping estimator and enter the information. I work for UPS, and at a certain point the shipping charges shift from weight to size of box. JUST A LITTLE INFO FOR YOU ALL.

i bought a left q panel from auto body specialties because they were the cheapest, not a lot but some. i got it in good time and it had a laysons sticker on it. abs just bought it from laysons. the quality was ok but not as good as i would have liked. it took alot of work and filler to get it to look good, but it still isnt as nice as i wouldve liked. im not bad mouthing anyone, but good luck getting a high quality panel.

cuda 14 replace 2.JPG

left qtr replaced wfiller front.JPG

just for comparison on shipping,i just bought 2 vent window frames from a yark in texas,,,box was around 3ft x 1 1/2 ft,,and was heavy,,,most ohnest seller iver ever delt with,,busniess gets a discount on shipping if they ship big volumn,,,which im sure laysons does,,,the yard charged me 10.00 yes you read that correctlt 10 bucks to ship 2 vent window frames with the glass from texas to pa,,,, i me,,,( not a volumn shipper,,,) just sent a steel fly wheel from PA,, to ,mich,,,fed ex,,32 lbs,,,cost 18.36 to send fed ex,,most ebay sellers jack up there shipping cost to increase there profits,,, theres an old saying,,,,buyer beware,,,you usually cant control shipping cost,,unless you get the price first,,,i had 2 bumpers chromed on my 40 dodge,,ribbon bumpers,,i delived them to them at carlisle,,,and they shipped um back,,37.00 they charged me to ship 2 bumpers from tenn to PA,,,one had to go back..cost me 12.00 top ship one back,,,in the same box,,,i told them they ripped me off so i wont pay the return shipping after they fix the chrome,,,they sent it free,,to me

Well, I read that Layson's was supposed to have patch panels in stock now. I called them and they said they couldn't check stock (I see they're still big on customer service??)so I got off the phone. Well 66bluefish said they were supposed to have some so I thought I'd take another gamble..... I ordered a left lower panel via internet. It arrived in just a few days. And the quality is nice! The price billed is higher than their internet listing and they charged me $44.00 shipping for a 9lb box that is 30 x 15 x 6!!! But hey, I got what I ordered and only had to endure two disappointments on one order with Layson's!!!!

It seems like you shouldn't have to endure any disappointments, don't you agree? I am not a big fan of Laysons. Good luck to Rick in rebuilding some trust in Layson's word & reputation. It's one thing to have to wait for a part that's on back order (of course, within a reasonable amount of time). In my case, I saw and spoke with Dave at the Spring Fling show in Burbank, CA in April and then tracked him down again at the Fall FLing show in October. :axe: Even though that was 7 months, it was a couple of months later that the order was fufilled. :cwm21:

I can appreciate someone starting a business that reproduces items that we need but be assured, it is a for-profit business (all you have to do is look at the prices) and it is not a for the good of the hobby endeavor. As mentioned above, it's one thing to wait for items that are in the que/backordered but I do not feel that I need to be treated like an impatient jerk when all I want is what I paid for in a timely manner. As I said, there is a "reasonable amount of time". Rant mode off - time to sleep. :sleepy2:

5-6 years ago Dave Layson was actually on the Early Valiant and Barracuda Club mailing list and he would reply to people and answer questions and stick up for himself. Then he dropped off the list, I guess he just got too busy or couldn't be bothered to answer people's questions. Then they started selling B and E body stuff and their prices seemed to go up as well.

I finally decided I wanted their early A-body reproduction washer fluid pump...$80. I just bit the bullet and got it at Carlisle from their tent, they only had 2 left. Well it's not that great and you have to drill a new hole in your inner fender to mount it because it's not an exact fit. Then someone showed me where you get the same pump on the internet for $24.95!

I avoid Layson's as much as possible.

-
Back