Easiest electronic ignition upgrade?

-

hellfirechrome

Reaction score
I have my 66 still running off points. I am looking for the easiest upgrade to electronic ignition, which should work well with my MSD 6AL. I see Pertronix has a $75 kit, is that what I need?

Pertronix by far is the easiest to install.

Just remove the old points assembly and condenser and replace with the kit. (It's all explained in the instructions)

Just remember to use a magnetic screwdriver when removing/installing, you DO NOT want to drop the small screw down into the distributor, then you have to remove the whole distributor.

With the Pertronix kit, the ballast resistor is no longer needed. I also changed my coil to handle the new system. Pertronix also makes a coil specially made for their conversion kits.

Overall this makes daily driving reliability much easier, startups are a lot faster.

I have to agree that the Pertronics conversion is going to be the easiest.

Chreiasust on a Karuch

Why use an electronic ignition to fire an electronic ignition, which is what you are proposing?

You already have an MSD?

Just get yourself a newer Mopar breakerless distributor and trigger the MSD with that

If you use a Pertronix to drive the MSD, now you have TWO ignition systems to fail

I got a reman mopar electronic dizzy for about 35 bucks or so at Oreilly Auto a few months ago and ran it with my MSD 6AL. Pluged right in. A good coil helps too so you can eliminate the ballast resistor.
I also bought a Skip White and that thing works great too!

You should be able to get a "rebuilt" at any parts store. If this is any sort of performance engine, you might want to or have it recurved. This however, is likely true of the one you have now, or any other you'd buy

You should be able to get a "rebuilt" at any parts store. If this is any sort of performance engine, you might want to or have it recurved. This however, is likely true of the one you have now, or any other you'd buy

Good point! I had to recurve mine with the welding the slots up method so if that is something you don't have access to, it might be best to buy a distributor that has a more easily adjustable advance curve.

Will running a vacuum advance electronic distributor eliminate my need to recurve it? It is certainly not yet a performance engine, and will not be for a while.

Skip white billet piece is nice, one for sale here. You can fire your msd via points, they will last forever as they are not bucking a coil anymore. Cant get much simper or cheaper than that. Now seeing that this is in a six forum, Skip part may not exist....

I recently purchased two N.O.S slant six dist from old car parts N.W.

111.85 shipped. I have a few of the re-manufactured units that I have purchased thru local jobbers. The NOS is such a nicer unit, yes its 40 bucks versus 100 bucks but I dont expect to ever have to fiddle with the dist on my slant six truck again.

The only issue I have with the NOS are clearly the grease inside is old and dry, I will tear down and deal with that. The NOS quality is outstanding. Just if one were to measure the pure weight of the units they would feel the difference.

The dist are avail thru e-bay or you can buy direct from him. I would recommend E-bay for your own security. I have tried dealing with him over the phone thru e-mails ect but without going into detail I would say that E-bay would be your best bet.

Good luck

I paid 168 from mancani for a new dizzy that is easy to curve and set up, very happy with that one. For 50 I will shipp my old one in good condition off a 68 340 barracuda with a nice curve already in it, works 100 percent. pm me if insterested.

Tekslk, my slant six doesn't have much use for the distributor from a 340 car ;)

-
Back