Edelbrock Advice

-

67Redfish

Reaction score
I am running an Edelbrock Performer (500 cfm) with an electric choke. In the past it has started right up hot or cold. Recently it had an issue with the choke not shutting off when the engine warmed. Since it had to go into the shop for some head work anyway I told them to fix the carb too. I also had a new Summit Racing performance ignition system installed. Now the car runs better than ever once its going, but its very difficult to start when hot. I spoke to the mechanic and he is blaming the new ignition system for the difficulty. I think its the carb so I am looking for some advice as to how to fix it. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!
:salute:

Hey Red!

Is the choke closed after you give the throttle a tap when it's cold? BTW, I bought my Duster from a guy in Monument.

If the electric part of it is wroking, adjustments can be made. Why it would go out of wack is a mystery.

Lose screws on the black plastic housing?
Improper adjustment on the otherside perhaps?

Weak bi metallic choke spring would delay full opening of the choke. Hard starts and rough running until it opens are symptoms. You will have black smoke from the exhaust if it's bad

Could be in the ign system,allthough I dont feel it's the brand new spark unit. Might be a weak coil or sloppy distributor

Thanks for the tips everyone. To answer a question, the choke sets when the engine is cold, but I still need to use the gas pedal to keep the engine running for a minute or two. After its hot I can only get it started by holding the gas to the floor and cranking quite a bit more than before. It will eventually start but again needs to be revved to ensure it will stay running. The distributor is a new Summit Racing version that went in with the new ignition system (new plugs & wires too). I replaced the coil with a Pertronix Flamethrower last fall so it is relatively new also.

you may need a thicker gasket under the carb to keep the fuel from boiling out of the carb is what i am thinking.

As a follow up, after I took the car on a 20 mile drive I shut it off and checked the fuel line. The filter did not appear to have any gas in it (its clear plastic and I know I should replace it with metal so if anyone has a part # I will add it to the to do list) which seems strange as it seems to typically be half full. Would this be a result of excessive heat or a bad fuel pump? Thanks.

did the airhorn(top lid) get taken off and had float drop checked/set? eddys like to be TOO low out of the box.

-
Back