edelbrock carburetor flooding like crazy....

-

Chryslerkid

Reaction score
hey guys,

so i'm driving along the freeway, get off at the exit and come to a stop at the light. my car started to run very very rough almost like it wanted to stall. i drove home and found that my carburetor has two pools of fuel in either jet and it is filling up with the engine turned off. i clamped the fuel hose off, but its still making a "sucking noise" from the carburetor. what the heck went wrong??? thanks y'all i'll try and post a video if i can asap. ideas?

How long are the shackles on THAT thing? :)

Sounds like something stuck in the float needle/jet to me.

But then again the whole paragraph doesn't make sense.
How can it be still filling with the top, floats and float valve off?

i'm sorry if it doesn't make sense. i don't know much about carburetors as you may already have noticed. all i can tell is that once i turned off the engine, the fuel continued to fill the jets for several minutes there after. it was visibly full when i looked into the front two jets.

well my attempts at uploading videos is failing miserable right now. i went back to look at the carburetor again. the fuel was gone from the jets. i guess it was just pouring into the jets right before i shutoff the engine and therefore appeared to be full. what should i do first if i want to figure out what is wrong?

i'm sorry if it doesn't make sense. i don't know much about carburetors as you may already have noticed. all i can tell is that once i turned off the engine, the fuel continued to fill the jets for several minutes there after. it was visibly full when i looked into the front two jets.

So you took the top of the carb off, or looking down inside it?
Looking down in "throat" of the carb at the butterfly valves. (also called throttle plates by some)

Still getting the impression something is in the float valve holding it open.
The valve is where the fuel line connects to the carb.

no no i didn't take the top of the carb off...i just took the air filter off and looked down inside it.

okay ill take fuel line off and inspect the fuel line fitting that connects the line to the carb.....

okay ill take fuel line off and inspect the fuel line fitting that connects the line to the carb.....

Sometimes just running the fuel out the carb by pinching off the supply until it dies and then the rush of fuel to refill the carb will clear it, and is worth a try before diassembling anything.

Otherwise you will need to pull the float needle and clear it.

They take only 4psi if fuel, may have to regulate pressure with a restriction in line, ie carb jet or real regulator. Also check floats for filling or float level and condition of needle/seats
float%20level.jpeg

Tap the front corners where the needles and seats are with a small hammer (tap, not beat)till it stops. you have a stuck needle/seat that's allowing fuel to flow when the float should be stopping it. Might be one of the floats has a leak or just a piece of garbage in the fuel line stuck it open. Are you running a filter?
I've also seen people install high flow pumps that pump too many psi for the needles and seats, sometimes you have to run a fuel pressure regulator.

One quick tip if you like eyebrows... You are not looking at the jets. You'r elooking down the venturis of the carb, seeing the boosters which are dripping fuel onto the top of the throttle blades. You don't see fuel because it went down into the intake. The quickest way to start it is hold it wide open and start it. But - don't do that from under the hood, and never, ever look down there when it's running. Especially if you need to work the throttle. I would suggest you down load the Edelbrock rebuild instructions and read up on the names and process. If it isn't running right after you restart it, then you'll have to pull the top off and clean the needles and seats.

lots of great info and advice guys thank you all! i am trying to send a link to a video of the carburetor. i hope it is below:

[ame]http://youtu.be/cCBCuzZjKR0[/ame]

Yep, stuck or plugged float needle or sunk float.
There are a lot of good suggestions but start with the simple solutions first.
Then we can move on.
Stop the flow till it dies and see if new fuel flushes out something stuck in the needle.

75 percent of the time it will.

okay. tried to stop the fuel flow until it almost stalled out and released the clamp...no changes. why are some other things i can do to try and un clog the carb?

One great quick "try" was already posted. If you have a rubber line, carefully pinch it off, as with small pieces of wood and a clamp or vise grips. This will stop the fuel supply to the carb

Get the engine running, and run the engine for 10-15 seconds to empty the carb somewhat.

Unclamp the line, and the sudden surge of fuel MAY clear the debri out of the needle and seat

Go to the Edlebrock site. You can download the manuals for those carbs. Floats work exactly like a "toilet tank." Any little tiny dirt or debri gets in the needle and seat, and it will leak past

What are you running for a fuel pump and how much pressure?

okay. tried to stop the fuel flow until it almost stalled out and released the clamp...no changes. why are some other things i can do to try and un clog the carb?

I would pull the carb top and make sure the needle and seat are clear, and that a float does'nt have gas inside it.
While you are at it check the float level.
If it did this all of a sudden, but ran fine before this then it will usually be the needle/seat or a float.

Once those are checked and found or made good, then move on to fuel pressure checking.
For the floats, they need to be removed from the carb top so you can shake it and hear gas sloshing in it. (you'll probably never hear it over all the other parts moving if not removed)

okay ill try that technique. and if that doesn't work ill try taking the top off. i hope don't have to do that though. thanks for all the helpful tips guys!

If all else fails get some ice cream from that ice cream truck! Lol...

All joking aside youve got good advice here....let us know what you find

And don't let this flow over and over while you try a lot of different way to clear it; each time this happens, one or more cylinders is getting unburned fuel in it that can wash the oil off of the cylinder walls. If it does not clear in few tries, take the carb top off and fix it that way.

How old is this carb?

Not much help but this is my advise, ditch that crappy Eddy and get a Holley! Very user friendly and easier to tune...good luck

I had somewhat of the same problem with two Eddie carbs and changed to a holley and have had a very happy 340 since then.

I don't think anything is wrong with carb, I think fuel soak. When carb is overheated and the fuel expands. You didn't post any specs on motor. Block the heat crossover in the intake and a plate under the carb that blocks heat along with cooling the engine compartment. I have run into this many times an edelbrocks.

I had somewhat of the same problem with two Eddie carbs and changed to a holley and have had a very happy 340 since then.

That's like saying you used a wheelbarrow with a hole in it and then switched to one without a hole and it worked better. :)
Any carb that doesn't overflow will work better than any carb that does.

I have to agree that Holley makes a better performance carb, but the "set it and forget it" of an Eddie is hard to beat for a daily driver in my own oppinion.
I have used both at different times on diff cars.

^^ Interesting observation.....sure looks like a LOT of gas going into the carb from the video....more than I would expect from just expansion.

Take the carb off.
Take it apart, and blow out all passages with compressed air.
Adjust floats, and bolt back together.
Put back on car, and turn the a/f screws out 1.5 turns.
Burn rubber down the street.

Or install a Holley and be ready to futz with it more than a British motorcycle.

-
Back