edelbrock cylinder heads

-

This Bad Demon

Reaction score
Anyone know if the edelbrock performer rpm heads are any good. I read about the rhs head and they seem good but seen those and wonder which will be better...Engine will be a .30 over 360(that's the first choice) I was also thinkin a .40 over 318....cam between a comp and crane....nothin that will max out the springs....2500-3000 converter....3.73 or better gears.....I kno the 360 will make more power jus throwin in the 318 to see what those opinions will be also....Any suggestions be appreciated..

The 318 will be "Undercubed" as far as the cylinder heads "Better useage" could use. The 360 is rightin there. The heads are good in there configuration to about 372-ish cubes for a street/strip type of build.

The heads are preety good and should be checked from there OOTB (out of the Box) condition. I've had my OOTB Edelbrock heads down to the low 12's with a Hyd purple cam. (292/.509) on a 360 4spd Cuda (E-body model) and 4.10's.

The RHS heads are iron and a very good deal as well. Brain (OU812 here) has a shop that works on them for very good prices making them a beter deal then the Edel. heads. He has shown very good power from them.

Considering your build, which is still vauge and general in it's specs, really ethier head would do well. The intended purpose of the engine/car/build could very well help dictate a better path to take on cylinder head choice. In a basic veiw, the Edelbrock head could be veiwed as a head that should perform in a ihgher more aggresive build. It would also cost more.

The use will be mainly street.....If it does hit the track it'll only be 1/8 mile....That's the length of our track....The car is a Demon.....Stock susp only bigger t-bars......xhd leaf springs.....Nothin fancy.....At rumblefish360 how much you pay for your eddy heads? I see one price but I know it's not for the pair and they assembled.....

I will never buy those crap Edelbrock head ever again. They flow like a stock J or X head OOTB. I would seriously consider the RHS head from Indio Motor Machine. Those have proven to be a very good head.

Anyone know if the edelbrock performer rpm heads are any good

No they're garbage don't buy them..lol..thats if you listen to the comments around here..personally,i've actually USED them on my 416 and 360 with great results..wouldn't hesitate to buy another set...

One good thing they have going for them that you might also consider is that they are aluminum and would probably save you 50 pounds or more. That's the main reason I was really looking into them. They seem to be a pretty good deal for small block aluminum heads. It seems like the other aluminum ones on the market are a fair bit more expensive and really more for racing. I'm still confused that people seems to think they're so expensive. Maybe I'm reading things wrong, but by the time you pay to get stock iron heads flowing good with porting and new valves and set to run on unleaded gas you seem to be in to them just as much as a brand new set of Edelbrocks out of the box, but then again I would run them out of the box since it's just a street build and not worry about going through them.

I have Eddie heads on both of my Small Blocks. I really like them for the weight and performance levels. My little spray stock stroke 340 goes 10.30s with no port work done. My 422 ci in my Road Runner has been a 10.91 in bad heat and humidity. Now they have had some work done to them. I would recomend them to anyone on a budget build.

...but then again I would run them out of the box since it's just a street build and not worry about going through them.

I'm not going to get sucked into this potential pissing match over which is the better head, but I wouldn't recommend running the Eddies straight out of the box. Too many stories about clearance issues to not have them gone through.

At rumblefish360 how much you pay for your eddy heads? I see one price but I know it's not for the pair and they assembled.....

The heads were purchase over 16 years ago. The price then holds no value today. Back then, with head bolts from ARP and Fel-Pro gaskets, head to block & valve cover gaskets, 1300 bucks or so.

With the RHS head on the market, I won't buy another set of edelbrocks unless they are $500/pr.

There are better choices out there now than when Ede's were the only choice not long ago.

Pick what you want to run and spend your money. To get Ede's in the same shape/performance level as Brians RHS set up for 1300 or so, you'll be in a set of ede's over 2K.

CB, whats the RHS heads intake and exhaust cc volume and head chamber cc amount?

Intake ~175-180 Advertised at 179 IIRC
Exh 67-68

Chambers are anywhere from 62-68 or so from what has been observed. Nice thing with Brian, he'll cut them to whatever you want.

The talks I've had with a few people, we seem to think the RHS heads would work really well on smaller CI mills for a few reasons. I mean these things with the 2.02 and nothing but blending the bowl cut, make 500hp on 400 CI engines which isn't shabby with no porting. You can't get that out of some of the other heads which I won't mention. LOL

My opinion is, for the money, you can't beat the performance of the RHS head that Brian does, PERIOD! For what it would cost additional to get the alum head to that level, porting, springs, VJ and surface, you could buy roller cam gear and RHS's.

Make your choice, spend you money.

Patiently waiting for the normal pissing match to start. :-D

Patiently waiting for the normal pissing match to start.
Allways the case with such questions. Carbs, *** hats, etc....

The talks I've had with a few people, we seem to think the RHS heads would work really well on smaller CI mills for a few reasons.
This is where I was going with it, to a degree. The slightly smaller runners and I beileve the 1.94 valve size is great for a 318 street striper. Not bad for a larger street machine at all.

The Edelbrock with the larger runner lends itself to a good spec read out for a larger engine in a street strip duty application. Ported out, it should well support 550hp and more without getting crazy on the engine. Then again, crazy is an opinion and point of veiw now isn't it?

After the Edelbrock heads, the choices get even more expensive. Brodix, INDY's, not exactly a street head now.

The original question was are Edelbrocks any good answer is YES!!! so good theres guys running in the NINES with them...

Ported or unported.
Whats the performance ceiling you've seen on a all steel car?
A lightened car?

The original question was are Edelbrocks any good answer is YES!!! so good theres guys running in the NINES with them...

Yeah but how much money/work do you have to put in them for them to work that well. Like Crackedback says, there are better choices out there. Most people who sing the praises of Eddies are people who havent run a well prepped stock head.

I've run both. (As said above.) and I have to say that I have not actually explored there potentail of ethier head. The closest I came to any comparo between them was a preped set of 2.02 J heads and the Edel.'s in a OOTB condition on a zero deck 360.

2 different cams were run. a 292/.509 purple and another, which currently escapes me. I think it was a Crane cam. (Dang it!)

The Edel. was better.

Ported or unported.
Whats the performance ceiling you've seen on a all steel car?
A lightened car?

nines ported of coarse they're good but not that good out of the box..lol..

My car is all steel including full interior running through a full exhaust even using stock steel rally wheels,only glass is the hood 3404 race weight 11.0's@121 all day long

I Have a set of eddie 60179 had them for about 8 years had no problem bolted on right out box. maybe I just lucky but if I was to buy another set of Heads I would look at the RHS. why-- the eddie heads are a little wider so this cause a little trouble with the hedman headers, (hitting steering) also I've had them on and off a couple of time's and i see that if i have to remove them another time i will have to have them heli coiled for the intake bolts.
performance --I still like them,but now I feel there are more options out there. IMO

Yeah but how much money/work do you have to put in them for them to work that well. Like Crackedback says, there are better choices out there. Most people who sing the praises of Eddies are people who havent run a well prepped stock head.

And most that put down the Edelbrocks NEVER ran a set..just jumping on the rhs bandwagon..to each his own oh and i've run many well prepped stock steel heads Edelbrocks still the winner...

And away we go...

2 years ago there was really no choice in affordable SB heads but Ede's. Ede's are decent, now there is something that works better. Just like those dinosaur MP cams that some people bag on all the time. The .528 and .557 Mechanicals flat out work even for an old grind. Just like those cams, there is a newer better item and god forbid, it cost less... just what most mopar people are always whining about. :-D

Now there is a new player. Some, including myself, have worked with both on multiple occasions. The RHS is a better value hands down from a price/performance matrix up to about 550hp. After that there are better choices than either head.

I have 2 or 3 sets of Ede SB heads and wish I didn't have the money dumped into them because I wouldn't run them now. I'll use them because they are here and they're mine.

On a 318, I'd put a set of RHS with 1.92-1.94 valves on it over the ede's.

Pick your parts, spend your money.

Anyone know if the edelbrock performer rpm heads are any good. I read about the rhs head and they seem good but seen those and wonder which will be better...Engine will be a .30 over 360(that's the first choice) I was also thinkin a .40 over 318....cam between a comp and crane....nothin that will max out the springs....2500-3000 converter....3.73 or better gears.....I kno the 360 will make more power jus throwin in the 318 to see what those opinions will be also....Any suggestions be appreciated..

IMO, the Iron head may be the way to go for what you describe.

Thanks for the responses.....I talked to one engine builder he say he can do me a solid 360 for 3500 and a "hot" 318 for 2600....Both prices sound good....The guy is a good engine builder and he drag races in the Va area....I was tryin to play around with dollar amounts and see if I were to get the bottom end worked and find a good, not too expensive set of heads assembled and ready to where I can get the shortblock and bolt the heads on if I could actually beat the prices he gave and still have a good running engine.....What you guys think?

Yes, the Eddie's are good heads. Like everything else out there, they can be messaged a little to be better. IMO it's too much for a 318, OK for the 360. The aluminum head yields lighter weight and will tolerate higher compression without detonation.

The RHS is a great head for the money. If you have a local rule situation that requires an iron head, it would be hard to beat. The RHS would definitely be the better choice for the 318. It's a matter of price point, IMO.

You see that 530 HP/520 FT LBS 408 stroker in my sig pic? It has re-worked edelbrock heads. For the money I spent on them, I should have went with INDY heads...

My 318 (almost finished) Has a set of Brians RHS heads on it...I love the beehive spring setup...they are beautiful...great head for the price!

Um wait a minute, that dont sound right! you dirty minded douches!

-
Back