edelbrock cylinder heads

-
And most that put down the Edelbrocks NEVER ran a set..just jumping on the rhs bandwagon..to each his own oh and i've run many well prepped stock steel heads Edelbrocks still the winner...

Well I have and I have to say that my J's worked way better than the OOTB Eddies every day of the week. For the money Eddies are a poor choice IMHO when there are so many better heads. I am sure your $2500+ Eddies work great on your big inch 340. Of course I am assuming you have a 400 inch motor. I ran my Eddies on my 367 ci and was very disappointed. I am not necessarily putting you down, I am just sharing with the OP the pitfalls of Eddies. I wish I had done some more research before spending good money on my Eddies. For $2500 you could do much better. Yes there is 9 second Eddie car that would probably pick up .2 to .4 with a better head. Just my 2 cents.

I have had good luck with Eddy heads both OOTB and CNC...my daughter 's 71 Dart 360 used a set of the CNC head and has run a best of 11.05 in at MATS this year.

My 73 Duster had a set of OOTB eddy heads...and ran pretty dam good also...

But I would not have any problems trying a set of the RHS...and I plan on it for my 73 Duster as soon as I get it all smogged and tagged again...

One should keep an open mind......and maybe something will come along shortly that we will be saying those RHS heads are now last years technology....

I am very happy with my Eddy heads

Have run a 9.8 second pass on them so they can`t be that bad

Pretty much out the box too, no fancy springing or cnc machining just a home port

I have had Edelbrocks for about 10 years. They started out on my 360 OOTB….I don’t remember how much I gained over my home ported J heads, but it was substantial. Now they are ported and on my 410, still running great....I REALLY like the weight savings of the aluminum too.

The engine in this photo is my 416 which pumped out 520 h.p. and 500 lbs. of tq. with BARELY touched Edelbrocks,can't wait to see how they perform when some serious port work is done to them..i'm not saying the rhs are no good,they're just no good for me i've had get results with the Edelbrocks and no reason to switch or try any other heads right now..

i can't say anything bad about my eddy heads. ran great on my 360. can't wait to build the 408 and bolt them on that motor.

50lbs HEAVIER then the eddy's, $1500 Cheaper "rough figure" than the eddy's for them to out perform the RHS Heads.

Obviously the weight savings don't mean Jack SH----

How much do you want to spend?

Dousterdoug's RHS Headed SB Stroker went 10.33 at over 130mph with a set of heads that costs right at $1300.00 Ready to RACE!

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=108210

10.42 @ 130 (2500 at the hit/5800 shifts)
10.41 @ 130 (2500 again/5800 shifts)
10.33 @ 131.95 (2500 again/6400 shifts)

Enough Said........... Pick your poison!

And away we go...

2 years ago there was really no choice in affordable SB heads but Ede's. Ede's are decent, now there is something that works better. Just like those dinosaur MP cams that some people bag on all the time. The .528 and .557 Mechanicals flat out work even for an old grind. Just like those cams, there is a newer better item and god forbid, it cost less... just what most mopar people are always whining about. :-D

Now there is a new player. Some, including myself, have worked with both on multiple occasions. The RHS is a better value hands down from a price/performance matrix up to about 550hp. After that there are better choices than either head.

I have 2 or 3 sets of Ede SB heads and wish I didn't have the money dumped into them because I wouldn't run them now. I'll use them because they are here and they're mine.

On a 318, I'd put a set of RHS with 1.92-1.94 valves on it over the ede's.

Pick your parts, spend your money.

I agree that a combination like that will work very well and make that 318 a screamer!

I am very happy with my Eddy heads

Have run a 9.8 second pass on them so they can`t be that bad

Pretty much out the box too, no fancy springing or cnc machining just a home port

nice et's

I know when I 'home port' my heads I usually see a 50-70cfm gain.

I have J heads flowing over 270cfm by .500 lift.

I guess it all depends on how much power you want and what you'll be doing with the car. For lots of power and a great street strip head the rhs or the eddie will be great on a 360 but too much head for the teen.Use some stock magnums or ported 302 heads on a teen.

The engine in this photo is my 416 which pumped out 520 h.p. and 500 lbs. of tq. with BARELY touched Edelbrocks,can't wait to see how they perform when some serious port work is done to them..i'm not saying the rhs are no good,they're just no good for me i've had get results with the Edelbrocks and no reason to switch or try any other heads right now..

Let dissect this 'barely touched' description..

I take it that by 'barely touched' you mean they are mildly ported, right?
Not 'full ported' but 'mildly ported'.
I think I get that part...
so now we know that every 5cfm is worth 10hp according to AFR, so 520/10=52x5=260cfm
Thats if your builder is as good as 'you' say he is and get the volumetric efficiency decent 'were talkin stroker here'

so if your heads flow 260cfm 'mildly ported' they must have flowed pretty bad to start with , for a $2000 set of after market heads.
I mean...when I 'mildly port' heads I usually see around a 20-30cfm gain..
heck, that would have your heads in 230-low240's cfm range 'ootb'

A good 5 angle comp valve job thats blended and x's/J's will flow that..

Less weight doesn't make more hp, it's just compensating for the lack of power, kinda like what nascar did in the early 70's for chevys when they couldn't keep up..This is an instance when 'cubic dollar' doesn't get you ahead.
You can actually lose heat or power with aluminum when compared to identical iron heads on an identical tuned combo/setup

I would run a point higher compression if going to aluminum heads, but I would expect 50+cfm over the alternative iron head for me to change that direction to begin with. this is info, not preference..because it's based in fact and facts are what good choices/decisions are based on.

If they cost identical $$$$ and flowed identical #'s and i was building from the ground up to change comp ratios....I would then look at the eddys as the better choice.

I think this is grounded thought.

I guess it all depends on how much power you want and what you'll be doing with the car. For lots of power and a great street strip head the rhs or the eddie will be great on a 360 but too much head for the teen.Use some stock magnums or ported 302 heads on a teen.

I have 318 heads that I cc'd the intake port volume on and got 124 cc's

I then 'mid level' ported that intake runner and tested again=132 cc's
Then I ported an ex port=62cc's...I have yet to cc a stock ex port yet, but will today.
food 4 thought....

stock Jhead int ports=155cc's [stock]

rhs int ports=179cc's [ootb]

eddy=177cc's [ootb]

nice et's

I know when I 'home port' my heads I usually see a 50-70cfm gain.

I have J heads flowing over 270cfm by .500 lift.

If you check out the weight of his car...it says 2375 lbs without driver..pretty lite car...

with a 408 it should have no problems dipping into the 9s...

On 340" to 422" engines I've run very successfully:
- factory castings: X,J, 915, 508. All were ported to varying extents by me.
- Edelbrock RPMs: cast cast, my own "stage 2" and Shady Dell stage 3s.
- I have not run the RHSs although I did very closely examine some. I think they are a great base head, but I wouldnt put any money into porting them. just step up to the next better thing.
So my recommendations knowing nothing other than what was posted initially and what I would do...

If someone is concerned with originality look, run factory iron castings and pay to have them done properly for your intended use.

If someone is looking at purely budget and wanting a modern build but not looking for max power I would use the RHS LA-X heads. I wouldnt touch the MA-X heads because the valvetrain adds so much to the cost you are in aluminum head range at that point.

If someone is looking for a head that is modern, lighter, needs very little to make decent numbers, and leaves room for growth later, the RPM head gets the knod.

Depending on your location, and your builder's opinion on what high quality is, the difference in cost to get a set of heads done, bolted on your engine, and running is very similar between all three possibilities. Reality is what it is and good heads cost money. I think the outright cheapest way to get a 360 to run in the 400hp range is the RHS heads. Next factory iron, last RPMs. These are not apples to apples comparisons unfortunately, so unless you have used a bunch of them, and seen the bills for running engines with them, you really don't "know". At least IMO.

If someone is looking at purely budget and wanting a modern build but not looking for max power I would use the RHS LA-X heads. I wouldnt touch the MA-X heads because the valvetrain adds so much to the cost you are in aluminum head range at that point.

I think the outright cheapest way to get a 360 to run in the 400hp range is the RHS heads. Next factory iron, last RPMs. These are not apples to apples comparisons unfortunately, so unless you have used a bunch of them, and seen the bills for running engines with them, you really don't "know". At least IMO.

I have to ask about the 1st statement about 'not looking for max power'
what build does this statement pertain to exactly?
it just seems really vague, thats all.

If someone was looking for max power in the generality you speak, in the head department, none of these heads should be considered, right?

From what I now 400hp is within stock 2.02 iron heads with a good vj and those r cheaper than new heads last time I looked.

If a guy is running in the .500 lift range, you can't get much more than 270's to 280's with any of these heads, right? and the low lift #'s are too close to distance any of them from each other-'in full ported form' so it comes down to cubic dollars again...right?
and how bout the fact that a lot of these 'tests' are done with a clay radius the size of mount rushmore and or a cnc'd flow plate, meanwhile the rest of us is using a lil string of finger dimpled clay?

$600-900$ for rebuilt factory iron, add $400 for full port-$1300
rhs heads-$1000 -in big valve & ported-$1350-$1450
eddy head-$1450 ---full ported-$2000+

it's the diff between [and depending on whos flow bench] 280's and 290's cfm
hughes claims 298cfm @.600 with J heads they sell right now!
RHS heads are in the 280's-290 cfm according to what I've seen from members who have them and sell them, 'correct me if I'm wrong'
and eddys go maxed out to 290's -300cfm from what I've seen

So ......whats a guy to do?

well do we stay within the range of this guys build lift wise and just compare .200-.500 lift flow between them all...
but do we stay ootb? or do we base it on a price range?
or a potential vs cubic dollar?

hmmmm...
?

50lbs HEAVIER then the eddy's, $1500 Cheaper "rough figure" than the eddy's for them to out perform the RHS Heads.

Obviously the weight savings don't mean Jack SH----

How much do you want to spend?

Dousterdoug's RHS Headed SB Stroker went 10.33 at over 130mph with a set of heads that costs right at $1300.00 Ready to RACE!

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=108210

10.42 @ 130 (2500 at the hit/5800 shifts)
10.41 @ 130 (2500 again/5800 shifts)
10.33 @ 131.95 (2500 again/6400 shifts)

Enough Said........... Pick your poison!

Better get your info right..I have no way near $1500.00 more into my Edelbrocks and they perform/flow just as well or better then the rhs according to the numbers i've seen...all depends on whos doing your head work...And those are some impressive numbers for dusterdougs car but with the rest of the combo he's running it should run those times,so your going to need a better example...

Really?has it been 6 months already?I forget what's next,cams?carbs?

Apples and oranges

Ported ede's to run the same as the rhs head Brian does will run in the 2K+ range. Porting alone is usually in the 400-600 range to get the 260ish+ range. Upgrade the springs from the single/damper to beehives, you'll be in another $300.

Base ede's without any correction work cost more than the RHS head ready to bolt on.
+ porting
+ VJ
+ Surface
+ Spring change

= more dollars for a head that performs the same.

I can buy a roller cam set up for less than the difference in head cost.

It takes about 420-425hp at the rear wheel to move a 3400# car to 120mph.

Apples and oranges

Ported ede's to run the same as the rhs head Brian does will run in the 2K+ range. Porting alone is usually in the 400-600 range to get the 260ish+ range. Upgrade the springs from the single/damper to beehives, you'll be in another $300.

Base ede's without any correction work cost more than the RHS head ready to bolt on.
+ porting
+ VJ
+ Surface
+ Spring change

= more dollars for a head that performs the same.

It takes about 420-425hp at the rear wheel to move a 3400# car to 120mph.

The springs the Edelbrocks come with work just fine and all you need is 406 h.p. at the rear wheels to run 120 mph...saying the rhs perform just as well as the Edelbrocks is all hearsay unless you run back to back test on the same motor in the same car at the same track....

The springs the Edelbrocks come with work just fine and all you need is 406 h.p. at the rear wheels to run 120 mph...saying the rhs perform just as well as the Edelbrocks is all hearsay unless you run back to back test on the same motor in the same car at the same track....

Wow, that makes it worse... your car is burning off 114hp when a good combo would be burning off about 70-80.

I bet your car MPH in the 1/8 about 96 or so.

Hearsay... so your comments hold no water because you wouldn't buy a set of RHS heads and Brian wouldn't give you any to try. Worked on and seen enough combos with both ede and RHS stroker engines to know the RHS work better with no proting than the ede's. You have no personal first hand work with an RHS head so your comments regarding the heads are baseless.

Bottom line, the ede cost more money to outfit for the same performance as the RHS. Even that you can't argue, but, I know you'll try as you always do.

I'll just add that we will be directly comparing OOTB Eddy heads against our RHS heads in this next CC build. The engine will be a 410 strong effort pump gas deal with ported Eddy heads and roller cam. We'll run the eddy heads before we port them, then the RHS heads with same springs, chamber size and rockers so only difference is heads and whatever might there might be between cast iron and aluminum.
After that, we'll port the eddy heads and run that combo.
We'll be running a 950HP, 1000HP, 1050 dominator, and EFI plus F&B's EFI six pack setup...it'll be a great article...hoping for 8 pages this time.
We won't have the engine finished before Nov. so it'll be a little bit but it will happen...we have all of the parts.
Brian

Isn't nice that we have heads to choose from now...aluminum or cast iron...

With all the spirted bickering going on and before the heat gets turned on between parties, please be reminded that all that has been said over the last day is completely off base in term to what the OE poster put up.

Which is a very general thought.

So far, he has brought up the possible use of 2 very different engine and only mentions a very small amount of parts to be used, or so he thinks. (Thats what I gather, anywhoooo)

If you all start this battle between which head is better, both parties are up crap creek for *Thinking* they know the answer to a question put forth that is to vauge to truly answer.
The only answer worth considering is the "In general opinion" answer, much like what Moper gave. It's a very broad and in general opinion on how such heads could be used.

Conduct yourself nicely please. I know certain issues/threads topic are just great for banter and other bologna.

-
Back