edelbrock heads on a 318

-
I think you will hear back that the heads are fine for you, and that while they may "be a little large" you will not notice the difference. As a vendor trying to sell you, I'd say that.

Going back to the article..:
"So, ultimately, we don't think we pushed that limit enough to make a positive finding."

This was my point. It's not a huge difference, and truly, they built the engine and cammed it for the iron heads (10.88:1 and a cam with 260° @ .050) . If they built for aluminum, then used the right fuel and iron, I think they would see more of a difference. As a "for instance", the engine I would build would have no dish on the piston, have quench set to .035, and the chambers milled to get 12:1 to run that cam with aluminum heads on pump fuel. In an apples to apples comparison you won't see much ni most cases. It should be an apples to oranges build.

HI ITS ME AGAIN, ONCE AGAIN THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION, I WANTED TO SEND EVERYONE A LINK THAT I FOUND FROM MOPAR MUSCLE MAGAZINE. I HAVE NEVER SENT A LINK BEFORE SO IAM LEARNING HOW TO DO IT. I FOUND A WAY TO GET AROUND IT IF YOU GO TO WWW.ASK.COM TYPE IN 1985 DODGE DART MOPAR AND WHEN THAT PAGE COMES UP SCAN DOWN TO #5 IT WILL SAY 1985 DODGE DART MOPAR PERFORMANCE MAGAZINE CLICK ON THAT LINK AND GIVE THAT A READ AND TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT IT. THANKS GUYS IAM ALWAYS GRATEFUL. LATER NEWATTHIS

This was my point. It's not a huge difference, and truly, they built the engine and cammed it for the iron heads (10.88:1 and a cam with 260° @ .050) .

Right, the point to me was that there wasn't some loss in horsepower from bolting aluminum heads on an engine designed for iron due to compression loss.

HI ITS ME AGAIN, ONCE AGAIN THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION, I WANTED TO SEND EVERYONE A LINK THAT I FOUND FROM MOPAR MUSCLE MAGAZINE.

As you're new, you don't know this, but Internet etiquette dictates not using all caps. Its considered shouting. Additionally, you really only have to capitalize the first word in a sentence, and on the internet, even that is optional.

As far as that article goes, I think its got some BS elements to it.

1. Why not print the dyno sheet? Peak numbers mean exactly jack. No torque numbers? WTF?
2. Why not just run the heads out of the box? That's something the readers can repeat. If you're going to compare the heads on a price basis to modifying stock castings, you can't then do porting that would cost Joe Wrench another several hundred bucks.
3. That Lexus would still whoop that Dart's ***. With that hp peaking at 5800, you'd need a lot more than a 2.73 gear to make the power useable, and the lexus has a wide, flat power curve whereas the Dart's is going to be very peaky.
4. Predicted 14 second 1/4 mile times out of an aluminum headed V8 musclecar are pathetic.
5. They don't talk about the supporting modifications on the car. What is it using for exhaust? Does it have power steering? Electronic ignition? Etc.

However, if their compression numbers are guessed at correctly, it backs up my compression guesses for a 318 with the smaller chamber Magnum Eddies, so that makes me kind of happy.

The camshaft they chose is a really good grind for a low compression motor, but if you had more compression (which makes more power) you could run a slightly bigger one (which also makes more power).

Its important to keep in mind also, that though they played it down a lot, they got those numbers with a shortblock that had been gone through. Between that and the ported heads, I think it would be pretty unlikely that a stock motor with out of the box heads would produce those results.

But they probably left 10-15 horsepower on the table by refusing to go with a Holley carb.

My $.02

Steve

I Phoned The Guy Who Rebuildt This Engine Last Year, I Found Out From Him That He Put In Flat Top Pistons At Zero Deck (found Out 3 Days Ago). Thats The Story Rumble360, I Got Hit With The Power And Go Fast Bug, And I Like It. Next Time I Will Try And Give Better Detail In Asking Questions Thanks Newatthis

Just read this about the flat tops.

This being the case, you could make more power than the car in that article, I'm sure.

I disagree on a few points. The cam, for a 350 cubic inch street car engine, is huge. I think the way they prepped the heads is exactly what they should have. One shop, one guy, one flow bench, no differences there.. And as I've said, all heads out of the box are marginal at best in regard to overall potential in stock form. I also don't think the brand of carb makes any difference in horsepower. Always bear in mind too, they are not shooting for scientific results. Just to sell magazines.

Thanks lxguy for pointing out my interet manners, i didnt know that using caps was considered shouting. If i came across as being rude, iam sorry i truly did not mean to come across that way. I am learning as you can tell am pretty green about all this, but one of the reasons that i joined up on this sight was to learn from people like you. I am now convinced that the eddy heads for the price they want is not for my car. i want to thank everyone out there for there feedback you were most helpful. Thanks also to Rumble360, for telling me about proper proceduce when asking questions. Thanks guys take care Newatthis

-
Back