EFI or Blowthrough?

-
Megasquirt is cheaper but you have to learn a lot as the trade off. Expect hours of studying and soldering and wiring. But it has unlimited options for whatever system you throw at it. Want over boost protection? How about fuel cut when the intake temp exceeds a certain temp? Or boost control, unlimited ignition and fuel parameter tables, run fans and meth pumps.

I'm doing it on my turbo 318. Haven't fully built the engine yet but I am very close to wiring it all up.

Megasquirt is cheaper but you have to learn a lot as the trade off. Expect hours of studying and soldering and wiring. But it has unlimited options for whatever system you throw at it. Want over boost protection? How about fuel cut when the intake temp exceeds a certain temp? Or boost control, unlimited ignition and fuel parameter tables, run fans and meth pumps.

I'm doing it on my turbo 318. Haven't fully built the engine yet but I am very close to wiring it all up.

which megasquirt system is best suited. they have so many products.

Ms1 is the basic and will run a v8. I'm running ms2 and it controls fuel, spark, boost control. If you want the whole deal then go ms3x. It has the most option but costs a little more. Your best bet would be to email an approved vendor, tell them everything, engine specs, trans, tq, tires, ignition module, distributor type, turbo. Then tell them what you want to do with it. You can use it to control fuel or ignition or both. My setup will use a MSD CD ignition box being fed a signal by ms, that takes signal from you distributor and the plug fires. It's all a little hard to read into at first but you get there.

will look into it. can get a MS complete kit for less than some ask for just the box. quality is obviously there cause it seems to be the most popular choice.

You really should go with efi, I installed an ms3 on my big block and it made a huge improvement over a carburetor. The improved throttle response, the tuneability is much more refined over a carb, the cold starting was the biggest improvement, that motor was such a cold blooded beast I almost disliked driving it I could start it up and let it idle until it reached 150-160 degrees (about 5-7min) and as soon as I started driving and I would stop at a stop sign (Theres 3 within 3/4 of a mile until the main road) I would have one foot on the gas and one on the brake to keep the engine from stalling. Once on the main road it was fine when I stopped.

Just that alone made it worth while, another plus was in the fuel I ran with a carb I ran a 30 percent mix of 104 octane race gas mixed with 93 octane. With efi I just run 93 octane due to better fuel atomization with no noticeable spark knock. So I don't think you would be disappointed with efi I certainly wasn't. What ever you choose good luck.

definatly going efi now. also like the Holley HP EFI set up. it also controls water/meth. more $$$ than the MS though

-
Back