Electric Choke wiring on 64 Dart

-

64dartbrian

Reaction score
I am wiring my electric choke on my 64 dart, i am thinking about wiring it into the wiper switch, I am just wondering if anyone else has a better place to wire it.

The 12 volt side of the ballast resistor

It would be best to use a relay but I bet very few do.

I am wiring my electric choke on my 64 dart, i am thinking about wiring it into the wiper switch, I am just wondering if anyone else has a better place to wire it.
I found a un-used fuse on my '64 Barracuda fuse block that was controlled by ignition switch.

I found a un-used fuse on my '64 Barracuda fuse block that was controlled by ignition switch.

Any fuse "you found" was surely on the accessory side of the switch.......not what you really want for a choke

Only thing under the hood.....as said earlier^^ is the 12V side of the ballast.

The 12 volt side of the ballast resistor

FUSE it and consider using a relay. In fact consider using a relay to feed the choke, the VR, and the ignition power

Electrically speaking, you cut the blue "ignition run" wire coming out of the bulkhead connector, trigger a relay with the bulkhead end, hook the engine bay end to the output (contacts) of the relay, and run power to the relay through a fuse/ breaker off the starter relay "big stud." That leaves the relay ground. You could run that wire (if you want) to an "less - than - obvious" switch for a small measure of anti theft

Any fuse "you found" was surely on the accessory side of the switch.......not what you really want for a choke

Only thing under the hood.....as said earlier^^ is the 12V side of the ballast.

FUSE it and consider using a relay. In fact consider using a relay to feed the choke, the VR, and the ignition power

Electrically speaking, you cut the blue "ignition run" wire coming out of the bulkhead connector, trigger a relay with the bulkhead end, hook the engine bay end to the output (contacts) of the relay, and run power to the relay through a fuse/ breaker off the starter relay "big stud." That leaves the relay ground. You could run that wire (if you want) to an "less - than - obvious" switch for a small measure of anti theft
Just what I said, Empty fuse controlled by ignition switch - hot with engine run.

I wired mine to a fused relay coming from the ballast resistor. The relay is closed by the 12v from the ballast resistor (powered only when the alternator is turning), and the relayed circuit is fused coming from the battery.

-
Back