Electric fans for an RB A-Body?

-

butterball

Banned
Reaction score
Well; it's almost time for the motor to go in the car, and I want to have everything ready to go.

I have an AFCO aluminum radiator that came with the car when I bought it, but it had a dinky little electric fan on it. What is the best electric fan setup for an RB A-Body? I was looking at the Chevy HHR fan... lot of guys using them... but I don't think it'll fit....

I know it won't fit on my 68 dart with an RB. Unless you cut the rad support to move the rad ahead. I don't want to do that.

The best bet is to run a stock fan/shroud, or a dual electric fan setup which allows the water pump pulley to run between the electric fans' motors.

Hope this helps you some.

codfish

I'm glad you posted this. Looking to make an electric fan purchase soon so I can cool down my 440. Right now I'm using an original fan w/ no clutch and a 22" radiator. Flex-a-lite makes a lowprofile, low amp 16" fan I've got my eyes on called Syclone. With the overflow now its hitting the wind and going right into the fan and all over the place... no good, so a catch can is on the list.

Well; it's almost time for the motor to go in the car, and I want to have everything ready to go.

I have an AFCO aluminum radiator that came with the car when I bought it, but it had a dinky little electric fan on it. What is the best electric fan setup for an RB A-Body? I was looking at the Chevy HHR fan... lot of guys using them... but I don't think it'll fit....

here is a pick of my 440 73 dart. i am using a summit 27.5x19 aluminum rad and fan off a 98 ford (throus) spelling. also i am using a electric summit/ cvr water pump. this is going to be a street strip car. i hope this info helps you. thanks Mopar65 8)8)

100_0479 (Large).jpg

here is another pick. thanks mopar65

the key there is the electric water pump,,,,I looked through hundreds of fan, rad combo's and could not find any fans ( single or double) that would fit my 383 in a duster 3 5/8 " clearance from the pully to the rad. There was a few that would work as a pusher but I didnt like that option. I went with a 15 in puller with a built in shroud on the left side of the fan ( to keep away from the pully) and a 12 pusher on the right side with a built in shroud, but havnt given it a real try out yet but it looks good lol. good luck

I took some measurements and there is only 2-7/8 inches between the bolts on the water pump pulley and the radiator. I guess I'll build a good shroud for the clutch fan and use a small pusher for backup?

Try checking out the SPAL website, we've put 426 hemi's in darts and never had any clearance issues, you can get 2 11" fans and they're only 2 1/4" deep and also using two staggered fans will give you more water pump clearance.

Hey , summit has a dual fan that is for an eclipse that is 2 5/8 think. I've been there and measured it to possibly put in my 63 valiant w/ a 400 and a b-cool rad. I believe it was 26'' wide. Also a bit pricey, about 385.00. It also pulls I think 2500 or 3500 cfm. Good Luck

I have a dual electric fan in front of my alum radiator. Sorry, don't remember the brand.

I'd use dual spal 11" fans and stagger them, they have lots of clearance and work great, you'll have to make your own mounting plate but it's worth the time

As bad as i didnt want to cut the radiator support up.. i cut notches in it to allow my radiator to be moved forward and now i have room for a RB with factory water pump housing and alum radiator..electric fan is centered on the water pump pulley too... if you look close at the pic you can see the 2 cut-outs on each side of where the radiator sits and sides into the notches..

001.jpg

Try checking out the SPAL website, we've put 426 hemi's in darts and never had any clearance issues, you can get 2 11" fans and they're only 2 1/4" deep and also using two staggered fans will give you more water pump clearance.

I agree, Spal makes the best electric fans on the market. I'm running two 11' pusher fans and no heat issues at all, even with the blower.

Hey mopar65

You got a part # and supplier for the upper and lower rad hoses you have for that combo you are using??

Thanks very much

i do not remember the part numbers off the top of my head. but i just went to O`Reilly auto parts and picked out some hoses that i thought would fit and test fitted them untill i found 2 that would work. sorry if i was not much help. Mopar65

i do not remember the part numbers off the top of my head. but i just went to O`Reilly auto parts and picked out some hoses that i thought would fit and test fitted them untill i found 2 that would work. sorry if i was not much help. Mopar65

Ok thanks anyways

Just finished putting a HHr fan ($60 new) in my 70 dart / RB tonight.

It sits in there nice after i moved the radiator forward a bit. I also trimmed all the plastic off I could to help it fit

If you dont move the rad, there is no more than a 1/4" clearance :shock:

Heres some pics -

rad1.jpg

rad2.jpg

I would check out Flex-a-lite. They have a wide assortment of electric fans. I ran their 22" rad which was single fan. The 26" used dual 10's if I recall correctly.

The most important thing you need to look for when you go to buy one is the CFM of the fan, there are 9" fans out there that will put out more air than a 16" fan. Most of the common fans listed in Summit and Jegs are not very efficient, they have a low CFM and they seem to be good deals but they won't cool as good as a quality fan.

If you are looking for a pusher fan, you need to just spend the money for a good Spal, nobody makes a good pusher and the reversible ones are not very good.

agree with the above .

I got to test the Hhr Saturday . I went 6 rounds and the car never got over 180 .

It used to go to 220 easily with a 17" electric or the 17" flex fan.

Im more than pleased with it

:cheers:

-
Back