Electric fuel pump mounting?

-

71scamp78

Reaction score
Getting ready to install electric fuel pump . Obviously I'm going to mount it near tank on frame lower than tank. Question is what's best way to secure it..do you screws or actually drill through frame and use bolts..seems screws would come loose. Thanks

Try utilizing any existing hoes and holes in the frame.
Mount a plate to those holes,then mount your pump to that plate.
Use rubber isolation where and when possible.
Threaded inserts are a good option.

Last edited:
Try utilizing any existing hoes in the frame.
Mount a plate to those holes,then mount your pump to that plate.

I will see if there any holes..Would you bolt plate to frame or use screws. I know pump to bracket has bolts

I mounted my first one to the side of the spare tire well utilizing pieces of aluminum inside and outside the well for support and bolted through. The new pump is much bigger so I had to mount it sideways to the bottom of the well utilizing thin steel plates inside and outside for support. If I was a welder/fabricator something more creative and nicer surely could have been done.

Try utilizing any existing hoes in the frame.

My hoes are usually found in the passenger seat, but I will have to check the frame to see if I find any.

Agree that some require a threaded insert

I will fix it,would not want to be political incorrect (yes I would).
You have more than one hoe?

This is how I mounted my fuel pump on my 71 Barracuda. I need to bend the plate back towards the fuel tank a 1/4 inch because the fuel pump straps just barely contact the rear end. Rod

IMG_4783.JPG

img_4783-jpg.jpg

Getting ready to install electric fuel pump . Obviously I'm going to mount it near tank on frame lower than tank. Question is what's best way to secure it..do you screws or actually drill through frame and use bolts..seems screws would come loose. Thanks

What pump is it? It makes a difference.

I preffer to make a mounting plate and attach the pump to the plate Make sure it's rubber mounted

Not sure if it'll work, but I just mounted mine to the inside of the rear frame rail with thick pieces of rubber sandwiched between the pump and frame rail. I use lock nuts so the bolts don't vibrate loose. If I need to, it'll be simple enough to re-do.

upload_2022-3-18_15-3-35.png

Not sure if it'll work, but I just mounted mine to the inside of the rear frame rail with thick pieces of rubber sandwiched between the pump and frame rail. I use lock nuts so the bolts don't vibrate loose. If I need to, it'll be simple enough to re-do.

View attachment 1715891662

Nice, clean install. It does’t get much better than that on a production car. And that pump and filter ain’t exactly small either.

Hope mine turns out that nice. I have 3 Mallory 250’s to mount. By the third one I should have it down to a science lol.

It's a Carter electric pump has a bracket looks pretty decent..just wondering if I should use bolts through frame or if screws would work..

That pump is small enough you should be able to mount it about anywhere. I use through bolts and lock nuts.

I agree. Bolts, lock washers and nuts. Or, just a lock nut.

I mounted my Holley black pump on the frame just in front of the wheelwell. The frame has holes in the bottom to stick your finger in to start the washer and nut. I use grease to hold the washer and nut on my finger tip to get the nut started. I found one hole in the side of the frame for mounting, just had to drill one hole.

Muffler looks closer than it is.
20210520_202213.jpg

Nice, clean install. It does’t get much better than that on a production car. And that pump and filter ain’t exactly small either.

Hope mine turns out that nice. I have 3 Mallory 250’s to mount. By the third one I should have it down to a science lol.

I've heard you can mount those Mallory pumps upside down, but I just don't have the nuts to try. Mounting it "straight up" like I did required an "extension" piece welded to the bottom of the rear frame rail. One thing I wasn't sure of was the ground wire. I screwed it to the frame (after sanding to bare metal), but I may change that. Just noticed my rubber spacers are starting to crack, so I may replace them with a single chunk of thick rubber.

Here's a close-up for additional ideas for the OP. Sorry bout the glare.

upload_2022-3-18_16-37-12.png

Funny thing. After I saw this thread it got me thinking my pump was really loud.

I looked at it today and sure enough...I hadn't put the rubber washers on it when I put it about 8 months ago.

Couldn't find the washers so I cut some leftover rubber hose, first to length, then split it open down the middle, then drilled holes for the mounting bolts. Lots quieter now!!

-
Back