Electric or Flex Fan?

-

jhdeval

Reaction score
I am finding with thee 100 degree weather we are having my car is having a bit of trouble keeping ahead of the heat. My question is does it make more sense to move to a flex fan? Add a couple of small electric fans as helper fans? Or replace with an all electric fan setup?

I have not but I asked about how to retrofit one in place of my standard 4 blade but I never got an answer. Is it simply adding the clutch and attaching the fan or is there more to it?

You have a slant 6 then right?
Electrics are great but they do use some amps.

Run the factory fan and an electric fan with a relay. Works great in the Florida heat even in stop and go traffic. And I was running a mild 360.

I have not but I asked about how to retrofit one in place of my standard 4 blade but I never got an answer. Is it simply adding the clutch and attaching the fan or is there more to it?

well, the only experience that i have is with the MP viscous fan unit. i bolted that directly in place of my mechanical fan and it actually seemed to help the cooling. this was in a 68 A body with a 318. some guys like to take other parts from cars and build there own clutch fan mechanism...

The clutch will work better than the flex and it depends on how hd electric fan you go. Yes the electric does use some amp, they can use between 14 and 40 amp.

I found that if you shroud the entire rad along with your desired fan type that will help optimise your cooling...

I also run Purple Ice with my coolant.. actually dropped my temp 6 deg

In MY experience from selling performance parts, and my own experimenting on my own vehicles , I've always had better luck with a electric fan. I paid good money for a viscous fan for a moderate 318 in my dart, and it never really did much more than factory. I had better success with a junkyard 16 incher BACKWARDS as a pusher(and removing the clutch fan). Combining an electric with a engine driven fan is just asking for a turbulent mess of air and may even hurt cooling. At the end of the day you'll just have to see what your car likes.

What condition is your cooling system in? Radiator in good shape(good fins /not plugged)? Stock type stuff,usually works well.I ran a 11 to 1 Big block,with nothing more than a stock radiator,junkyard shroud,junkyard viscous setup(off of a a/c equipped car).

Radiator is not in great shape (leaks some) but not clogged fins are in good shape. I do not have a shroud I think I may try that first. I did find a 7 fin fan on rockauto but I am going to try and shroud first see how well that helps.

The shroud will help.Do not know what temp thermostat you have.A 160 Mr Gasket,or Robert Shaw high flow thermostat would help available water flow.Best of luck.

Head to anyone whzo sells Mr Gasket.Pretty simple,they only make three.Take the 180 in ,to match up physically.Any O'Reillys,A-zone,or speed shop should have it.I do recommend the 160,for now.

If your radiator is not in the greatest shape, it will be a really good idea to get it professionally boiled and rodded and repaired first.

Most my cooling issues were mainly from a clogged or poor condition radiator.
I have ran a number of 455 olds cars with no shroud but had good clutch fan and a really clean radiator. Still, the shroud is an excellent addition to a fan for sure and can help a good amount.

Your first step should be getting a radiator that doesn't leak.

Your second step should be getting a good fan.

Your choices of Electric or Flex Fan both suck. Get a good clutch fan that moves some air.

We get a butt load of cooling/overheating threads. ALL of them are related to someone thinking they can do a better job of designing a cooling system than the original engineers.

I just don't understand why people here think some of the components of the cooling system are optional.

i use a 7 blade factory solid mount fan
26" 2 core radiator and factory fan shroud out of an 86 lebaron
my fan sits 1 1/2" away from the radiator
180* thermostat and never looked back
i can sit in traffic all day long in 99*+ heat and never overheat

i use a 7 blade factory solid mount fan
26" 2 core radiator and factory fan shroud out of an 86 lebaron
my fan sits 1 1/2" away from the radiator
180* thermostat and never looked back
i can sit in traffic all day long in 99*+ heat and never overheat

Is the fan off the Lebanon also? This is a great option for the poor like me lol. I have had a few weeks of absolutely devastating expense. Roof, siding, septic and blown transmission in wife's car.

Im like 73abody I run a 360 with 7 blade fan 24 inch radiator 3 core and never go over 195 I have a electric set up for a pusher in from but its set not to come on unless I hit 200.

-
Back