Electric Power Steering Pump - 1967 Barracuda

-
The Mazda is taller with the reservoir. Might get out to the yard in the next few days to look for a shorter reservoir.

So whats with the TRW ones? Who / what are they, I see reference to them as an aftermarket suppler, so they have there own version of the pump they sell as a standalone also?

Looks like all these pump configurations have a simaler shape / guts I bet, but the fittings and mounting are all a little different.

I might have to look into these for an outboard power tilt

Yes, that could work too, most of the outboard systems just power the pump when they want to move, this thing takes a few seconds after key on to start so that could be a little annoying.

Do you know the current draw?

I don't know off hand, but I was running a 60 amp alternator with it and was still at > 14 V with the electric fans on. I did not try with the headlights on. I think I'll be in a position to check with a clamp meter in a few weeks and I'll post the current.

I think the TRW is what is found in Volvos. The Mazda has a Japanese name on it, but looks nearly identical except for the reservoir. The wiring looks to be the same.

Theses TRW units are found in the Holden TS Astra here in Australia (they run a 120 amp alt and i hear the pumps can pull at max 80amp but not confirmed), so Opel or maybe GM. Popular steering mod down here, everyone seems to use them maybe because they are plentifully, cheap and they work, I'm sure other pumps work just as well it's just what we have to work with. For instance if i was to go find your volvo pump here I'd think the price would be three fold.

Here in our self-serve wrecking yards it doesn't matter what car a part came out of it will be the same price as a similar part from another car. All power steering pumps are the same price. All six cylinder engines are the same price whether it be a Jag or BMW or Ford. That can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on the part, but they are usually fairly inexpensive.

Hal9000 and Dodgy can each of you post a wiring diagram? This is very interesting. I have a manual steering car that I was going to cut up the steering column and go electric. This is a great alternative.

I found a shorter reservoir. Now I just need to find a place to make up a pressure hose for me. Then I'll bench test the system before putting it in the car.

Hal9000 and Dodgy can each of you post a wiring diagram? This is very interesting. I have a manual steering car that I was going to cut up the steering column and go electric. This is a great alternative.
The TRW unit has two heavy positive and negative wires and three small control wi
the TRW unit, two heavy battery wires + - and two small wires to activate the pump , power up the two together and pump is at workind pressure after about 30 seconds or alternately power one then the other it starts up almost instantly. Can't remember off hand the colour of the small wires sorry.

Now I'm looking for an adapter or ...

I bought some banjo fitting for the pump that have 5/16 flare. I bought a '78 Cordoba power steering hose figuring that I could have a new fitting crimped onto the hose, but now I'm wondering about an adapter from the 5/16 flare to the fitting that goes into the '78 Saginaw pump.

This is the fitting I bought.
PSR-020.jpg

I went to the pick and pull and scored a pump from an 07 S40 Volvo... the fluid looked and smelt perfect!!!

I ordered this adaptor for the pump from Amazon and I had the -6AN fittings lying around. I have an assortment of them in 90,45 and straight. Once I get it mounted under the left front fender, I’m going to make my custom hoses. I also added a photo of the wiring setup I found on mustang site where they are doing the same setup.

The interesting thing I found is that the pump has FoMoCo on the pump reservoir!!!

10FD55D3-45C9-4196-8BCD-0FDE5282B59C.png
F3D26CA4-BB1B-4909-A316-6499284217F3.jpeg
04483B3D-85F2-4911-8C84-7EF669760E11.jpeg
0E49396C-D028-4040-9C20-FCBE29514C1F.jpeg

1C8C75E1-1ECE-4459-96E1-297CCCA26B67.png

I'm interested in the electric power steering pump I have a mustang 2 rack in my car and I want to turn that into power steering rack also how anyone ever did the electric power steering pump with a power steering rack

So far it’s working great… I have to finish wiring it up correctly and make a cover for it so the left front tire doesn’t throw debris all over it!!!

I used a battery tray from an D100 I got out of a pick and pull for mounting… very little mod was needed to make it work!

In limp mode( which is what these operate at all the time) these draw only 20amps!!

I’ll post more photos once everything is finished and buttoned up!!!
7C4F7184-432D-49DF-8ED6-53F7EF036CD6.jpeg
6CBD113D-715C-4E50-9766-A16571A80D49.jpeg
DED0F339-350F-4082-B2F3-B6E39FF9D0ED.jpeg

All, as a followup about the usage, and to possibly discuses with anyone else who has done this (Tsully, looking at you) I'd like to discuses any impression poeple have of this setup on the factory steering box. (Maybe I should make a new post, but I'll start here)

I've had the setup on there for about 3 years, and it has been just fine for around town driving and parking lot work. If you are in a hurry it seems to be easy to overrun the pump and lose assist. I took the car to an autocross last weekend and the power steering was effectively useless, and every time there was a fast transition assist was gone. I assume this was because I was move the box piston faster then the pump could flow. What I'd like to try to understand is if this is a lack of flow symptom, or a warn out, 55 year old, steering box issue and has a lot of internal bypass going on in the contol servo valve.

I'm hoping someone else with this setup can let me know if they feel like they are overrunning there system easily or not. I can rock the the wheel side to side and easily find the limits with the current setup.

Thanks all.

I never followed up on mine, either. As soon as I hooked up the two power wires the control board let the smoke out and nothing worked. I still don't know if we've given up or not. I am on the lookout for a regular pump with big block brackets. Haven't been out to one of the yards around here in a long time.

I got mine setup and it works but I haven’t driven it yet. I had to pull my motor back out so I cannot say how it works for everyday use or under heavy conditions.

I’ve read up on some and there’s a guy on YouTube that uses this setup in a drift car and I believe I remember him saying that under certain circumstances it was acting similar to what you’re experiencing.

I found a write up here that I basically followed, I think he auto crosses it:

Borgeson Electric Power Steering - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

I'm adding a Borgeson box to my 66 slant fish with a Volvo electric pump. Converting from a manual box. Any ideas on where I should mount the pump? Looking for suggestions.....

IMG_0526.jpeg

@Jim Lusk , saw this alternative not to long ago as well!

2011-15- Challenger, 300 and Charger. Looking at the wiring on this unit, it looks to be the same, + and - and then 3 wire coming off of it. I do know that if 2 of the wire are the same colors, they are not to be used and that the 3rd is the one that activates it. I'm going to go and try and find one in a local yard here and test it out. From what I'm seeing, you will need to make sure you get the High Pressure hose as this is a bolt in with an O-ring as opposed to the Volvo threaded connection.

Not sure about room wise do to the way it installs, still a good alternative to the Volvo ones if it works out.

@Jim Lusk , saw this alternative not to long ago as well!

2011-15- Challenger, 300 and Charger. Looking at the wiring on this unit, it looks to be the same, + and - and then 3 wire coming off of it. I do know that if 2 of the wire are the same colors, they are not to be used and that the 3rd is the one that activates it. I'm going to go and try and find one in a local yard here and test it out. From what I'm seeing, you will need to make sure you get the High Pressure hose as this is a bolt in with an O-ring as opposed to the Volvo threaded connection.

Not sure about room wise do to the way it installs, still a good alternative to the Volvo ones if it works out.
The Mazda pump used a banjo fitting as well. I was able to get some with flare at the other end. We still haven't decided what we're going to do long term on my son's car, but when I get it back over here to get it running I'm going to steal the pump out of my other son's Barracuda to get it on the road.

Just for anyone who runs across this. The Volvo pump I'm using is a problem, not enough flow. I hooked a flow meter up to it and it runs just under 1 GPM in it's limp mode, so it's just fine for around town driving, but no good for racing / autocrossing. It looks like you need at least 2 to 2.5 GPM for the borgeson box, and I suspect more for the OEM box. The OEM specs are something like 2.7 GPM for the factory pumps at idle.

The Mazda pump used a banjo fitting as well. I was able to get some with flare at the other end. We still haven't decided what we're going to do long term on my son's car, but when I get it back over here to get it running I'm going to steal the pump out of my other son's Barracuda to get it on the road.
Well, we got my son's Dart back over here and I didn't have to rob the Saginaw pump from his brother's Barracuda. I found a '69 pump with bracket and pulley fora good price. The seal kit, however, was expensive. Still haven't got the car running and we're going to break the cam in with the PS pump belt off so that we don't have to worry about it if there is a problem.

-
Back