Electrical help, i think

-

no1newb

Reaction score
ok, so i installed my middle parking brake, which is not working, but thats not my problem, i started my car, then after i lifted my rear left side to check to see if the parking break was doing anything(it wasnt) but after that i tried starting my car, but it didnt, the engine didnt even turn over, that didnt make sence why, but there is one click that sounds like its coming from a piece by the distributer (sound wasnt coming from distriibuter)

img00185.jpg

that looks like the starter relay. rather odd place for it usually on the drivers inner fender well. start with checking the voltage for 1. then the cable connections at the starter relay as well as the starter. i am not seeing any kick down linkage is this a stick car?

If his car is that 65 Barracuda in his avatar, that would be the correct location for the starter relay. It looks like a 66 or so and up relay as the 65 and earlier used 2 mounting tabs to bolt it to the firewall and the 1 in the picture has 1 tab. Still will work OK. I'd also suspect the relay.

yeah, its a 4 speed, all the accessorys work, and im still getting a 12 volt reading on my interior gauge, i just changed the starter yesterday, and the cables should be tight.

That is your starter relay and it is in the correct position. If it makes a single click sound then it is energizing. When it does this it runs power down to the starter to make it crank. It looks like your wiring has been changed but factory is a small brown wire down to the small stud at the starter. check that it is powering that wire and it is in the right spot on the starter.

its a 65, so should i find a place to replace that? if it makes a difference, i replaced the voltage regulator a few days ago, and my alternator was charging at 16 volts.it use to at 14. i don't know if that would mess something up. or what.

with a test light check the relay for power at the large terminal should be hot all the time. the also check the smaller tabs or terminals for power with the key in the start position. one of them will lite up if all is well. aftermarket starters are a risk...... dont be fooled. been there more than once.

alright, i just checked, the big terminal is always lighting up, and the upper right terminal that has a yellowish brownish cable which i think leads directly to the ignition switch, but the other two terminals didnt show anything, i think they lead to ground. im not positive.

aright, i finally got under the car today, and for the first time, actually under the starter, and it turns out, the cable going to the ignition from the solenoid, melted to the exhaust manifold. so i just need to get that fixed and i should be fine.

yeah, ive been pretty lucky with my problems, they all have been quick fix, like simply replacing the brake booster. and the hardest so far, was replacing the starter, which once i got it out, was easy to put the newer smaller one in.

-
Back