Engine bay aesthetics

-
Don't quote me on this but I think the vacuum reservoir was because of the vacuum controls on the AC box inside. My '71 GT has one. The AC/heat controller is all worked off of vacuum not cables, and the blend doors and factory water bypass and all of that work off of vacuum pots. So the reservoir was to run all of that stuff. My '71 is also a smog car, the California '71's were different than the others.

Here's a few shots of the engine compartment as it was when I first got it. The first two were the seller's pictures so don't yell at me about the corrugated radiator hose or goofy water shut off valve and bypassed heater core, that wasn't me! The last picture is mine but the intake was off.

View attachment 1715682629

View attachment 1715682630

View attachment 1715682628
And you guys have factory air and I have Mopar dealer installed AC. That's why mine looks simpler under the hood.

20150716_192752.jpg

Thank you Mattax! Super helpful. I’m a novice and luckily got back into cars after 20 plus years because I had to become a stay at home dad and found this project car to keep me sane. All the help I’ve gotten on this site has been very helpful. I now can trouble shoot wiring issues and rewire my entire car if I had too now. I didn’t know anything about wiring 3 months ago. Lol. Do my timing, take apart replace and repair my bezels, dash pad, fold down rear seat, trouble shoot fuel delivery problems... Now it’s time to learn about vacuum lines. Also great link.

Last edited:
I kinda like to modernize and take a good 100lbs plus off the nose with a compact A/C compressor and lightweight P/S pump....but that's just me.

20200828_163345 (1).jpg

gettin ready to plug it in (from the bottom) after a little time on the run stand.

20210129_164217.jpg

That would be ideal Hemi, but I can’t afford to go crazy like that. I’m already over budget. Looks awesome though and would solve two big problems.

Muh huh....with your rack and pinion. lol

No ....OEM power steering box on this one. Please notice the OEM k frame and OEM steering box mount.

Remember....the difficult gets done immediately, it is the impossible that takes a day or two.

what is this budget thing you speak of???

LOL. I went in thinking I’d only spend an additional $4k on the car after purchasing it. I put together a 65-67 B-Body rear end that’s going to end up costing half that. Lol. It’s fun though and in the end, a lot cheaper than a psychiatrist.

LOL. I went in thinking I’d only spend an additional $4k on the car after purchasing it. I put together a 65-67 B-Body rear end that’s going to end up costing half that. Lol. It’s fun though and in the end, a lot cheaper than a psychiatrist.

Very true on the psychiatrist part. As for budgets and mopars... what ever you "think" it will be double or triple that... ask me how I know... also it may be cheaper to not change things up often if you have the "nicest" and "fastest" car in your mopar circle of friends... again... ask me how I know...

Following the thread though, I need motivation to clean up my engine bay wires...

I used to be anti-A/C because it cluttered up an otherwise nice looking engine bay. I added it to my Charger though. I want to be able to drive it in comfort all year.

Folsom 4.JPG
CAA 9.jpg

Such a great car... Nice ride! I could’ve traded my basic 289 ‘66 mustang for a ‘69 Charger. They were in similar condition... I passed. I was 17 and didn’t have a clue. I bought my Mustang though with money saved from age 12-15, from selling newspaper subscriptions food to door and other little hustles, when I was 15. I loved it.

IMG_20200728_163012.jpg

All of my electrical is hidden along with all of the AC... Most of the nitrous electrical is hidden but I left the AN lines for the nitrous and the fuel side of the nitrous all visible... Also the polished aluminum 1 gallon fuel cell for the nitrous in the battery area...

-
Back