Engine compartment paint color?

-

northeastmopar

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
OK folks, I was actually thinking of doing my Demon EV2 engine compartment in a gloss black to get my engine which I painted orange to POP. I know this goes against the grain on a Mopar but I was curious if anybody else has done this and how it looks? Car will also have a gloss black painted top rather than the vinyl.

I needed to paint my compartment when I did my engine and I wanted to see what it would look like black. It looks good and I may paint my car black too. If you want to try it go ahead but be prepared to catch some grief. tmm

Check out post #140 on page 6 of my 273 build thread. Link is below. tmm
Mopars have always had body colored engine compartments but black really makes red and orange pop.

to each his own but i personally think painting a engine bay black on a mopar unless it was black factory is a cheap way it just hides so many details plus showing up at mopar shows be prepared for critics good luck on whatever you choose

Just my .02 but I would be against it. The orange engine will pop if you detail right with cast iron, satin black, glass black and aluninum appointments. Correct decals, wireing routing, hose routing and the like will make any engine compartment look great, weather it is stock or modified.

Its your car, if you can live with the comments, do it.
However, if I'm looking at one to buy, if the carpet doesn't match the drapes, I won't even look at it.

I purchased a car with this already done (must have been a chebby guy) but it does make the engine pop. I am not going to pull the engine out to correct it, so it is what it is at this point. If I had an easy option though (no engine in the car) I would do it the EV2.

OK folks, I was actually thinking of doing my Demon EV2 engine compartment in a gloss black to get my engine which I painted orange to POP. I know this goes against the grain on a Mopar but I was curious if anybody else has done this and how it looks? Car will also have a gloss black painted top rather than the vinyl.

I needed to paint my compartment when I did my engine and I wanted to see what it would look like black. It looks good and I may paint my car black too. If you want to try it go ahead but be prepared to catch some grief. tmm
Grief

I painted mine semi-gloss black. I like it this way. I could give a rats a$$ what any body thinks. Mine is modified not stock. If you were doing a resto ya paint it body color. It's your car and your choice.

Fred B

Attachments

• Dart 2 005 (2).jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 441
Black is hideous...I regret painting mine black and now I am going body color.

it is your car..paint it what ever you want to...or you can have people telling you, you have the wrong hose clamps too..

i just bought a 71 Duster /6, the previous owner painted it a bluish green..not a mopar color..but they did not paint the engine bay..it is the stock gold color...

so do i leave gold..the original color..or paint the whole car again.....nope..painted the engine bay black

Absolutely do it body color. No reason at all to go the black "Chebby" route.

Sure you can get black spray cans and this makes it easy and cheep..... But did you know you can get body color spray cans for a little more?

Go to a paint mixing house or a NAPA that mixes paint. They can scan the color off the body and mix exactly what you need into a spray can.

A little primer, some scuffing and your engine compartment can look like a million bucks for fifty bucks.

Absolutely do it body color. No reason at all to go the black "Chebby" route.

Sure you can get black spray cans and this makes it easy and cheep..... But did you know you can get body color spray cans for a little more?

Go to a paint mixing house or a NAPA that mixes paint. They can scan the color off the body and mix exactly what you need into a spray can.

A little primer, some scuffing and your engine compartment can look like a million bucks for fifty bucks.

OK, I never talked about rattle cans. I am talking about PPG base/clear which is very expensive. I already opted to paint the 72 Demon motor the Hemi Orange instead of the blue. I have the mopar black valve covers, and aluminum heads with tti headers and an aluminum radiator, alonf with a k 7 n air filter and an aluminum holley with black metering blocks and base. So this is kind of a custom deal and not a stock rebuild. That is why I was asking. Not because I wanted to cheap out with rattle cans??

Like said above, it is your car and your choice.
My car is no where near stock either. My engine compartment was painted "blackish". It has a flat black hood and cowl and I thought I could live with it. I was never happy with it, not to mention all the wise cracks I got at the track. "Mopar sacrilege". LOL

I pulled the motor out to do some work to it, and paint the engine compartment at the same time. I am so much happier with the way it looks now!

Coming out:

IMAG0826.jpg

Going in:

IMAG0632.jpg

I would love to paint my car burnt orange but the original red engine would look like doggy do do in there. It's a tough call. tmm

Black is hideous...I regret painting mine black and now I am going body color.

Same here, I'm stripping it down and going body color now that I'm doing the body work. It makes everything in the engine bay look more detailed and cleaner.

OK OK you guys mkae me feel like I murdered someone. I will paint it EV2 same as the car. I kind of thought I was going to catch a lot of grief for asking, but I did not think it would be this bad.

-
Back