Engine Dieseling - Options?

-
247/254 @ .050 - 108 lobe separation, 508 lift intake/exhaust - cam had 4 degrees built in, I installed retarded it so it would have 2 degrees, changed the ICL from 104 per the cam card to 106 per the mgi speedware website - cam was degreed in - will see how it does next weekend, if the valves don't rattle I will be OK for now

Ok, without doing a bunch of that is way too much cranking compression for that cam timing and CR.

Did you degree the cam, or line up the dots.

If you did the former, I have no idea what’s going on.

If you did the latter, you have no idea where that cam is installed.

Just trying to get my mind around why the cranking compression is so high.

You had one too eh? I had (for a very short time) a '69 Chevelle 396 4 speed with 220+ compression in each cylinder and it would kill mosquitos for miles around! That thing had such bad valve seals that it would oil foul plugs in 100 miles. Rings were fine, did a leak down test and it passed with flying colors. I was glad someone made me an offer for the car that I just couldn't refuse.
I hurt the decent 396 in my 55 chevy, a friend got a junkyard (but running) 396 for me to put in while i fixed the hurt one. Not a lot of power, a lot of oil burning, but at least it was running, and i swapped em in one day. The flat cam 396 cost me $125. Those days are gone.

Bill, have you tried more than one compression gauge?

not yet, this is one I just bought, my other is loaned out - will do another warm check next weekend with my other gauge

This engine has been an anomaly for me from the start - if it will run out even half *** it will have to do for a while - weird thing is it ran pretty good with the small Lunati I put in - then I got smarter and had to fix sh*t LOL

not yet, this is one I just bought, my other is loaned out - will do another warm check next weekend with my other gauge

This engine has been an anomaly for me from the start - if it will run out even half *** it will have to do for a while - weird thing is it ran pretty good with the small Lunati I put in - then I got smarter and had to fix sh*t LOL
As mentioned that is ton of cranking compression. I run a 247/251 @.050 sft on a 108ls installed at 105icl in my 410 with a true 10.5 static and I get 195 on the gauge. My brothers 360 has 10.8 static and was running a isky oval track cam that was 226/226 @.050 on a 107ls and installed on a 103icl and only bumped the gauge at 210-220.

well the car hit the streets for a couple of shakedown runs - exhaust still a little rich but the car will slam you backwards if you get on it - made a little vid of the exhaust - car idles around 850ish and only about a 100 rpm drop in gear - have some tuning to do and still will follow up on the compression when I get my other gauge back but for now its gonna get a break

-
Back