Engine Noise Update and Video

-

340sFastback

Reaction score
I had a long thread not long ago about engine noise with my new 414 small block mopar. Since that thread I have taken the engine back out of car, looked bottom end all over no issues existed there. Found out some push rods were rubbing the heads so I removed the heads and clearanced them some more. Engine is now back in the car and running correctly with no valve train noises at all. Drove it up the street and back. Put the pedal half way down and the front raised up, it made a loud ROAR, and just took off!! Here are some videos of it idling. But it sounds WAY better in real life then in these videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpU9S_BN-pI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLCQNNhqY5g&feature=channel_page

Bill

Congrats on getting it figured out.

Sounds really nice.

so the exaust leak was making all that noise, no way the pushrods would be that loud.

hope you ported out the headers where you added the weld my ttis are gasket matched and quiet a bit of metal was ground out mainly the outside ports.

good luck with yours mine is almost there.

... Found out some push rods were rubbing the heads so I removed the heads and clearanced them some more. Engine is now back in the car and running correctly with no valve train noises at all. ... Bill

Bill - What was the cause of the rubbing? Was it a particular part or parts that you used in the vaivetrain that caused the problem? Thanx.

Bill - What was the cause of the rubbing? Was it a particular part or parts that you used in the vaivetrain that caused the problem? Thanx.

Hydraulic rollers and edelbrocks don't play well together. The rotten compound angles of the SB mopar only get worse with a taller lifter like the hydraulic rollers.

The pushrod holes need some pretty significant massaging. If not done, the pushrods rub in the holes.

Hydraulic rollers and edelbrocks don't play well together. The rotten compound angles of the SB mopar only get worse with a taller lifter like the hydraulic rollers.

The pushrod holes need some pretty significant massaging. If not done, the pushrods rub in the holes.

I always wondered why the Chrysler engineers did that. Would it have really been that much more expensive to change the lifter bore angles by a couple degrees?

I always wondered why the Chrysler engineers did that. Would it have really been that much more expensive to change the lifter bore angles by a couple degrees?

Bean counters... It was a carry over from the poly block.

I'm sure the Chrysler designers did all that on purpose a long time ago.
Cams in the Chrysler blocks are higher which gives more room in the
crankcase for longer strokes and longer rods. This also makes the pushrods
shorter but changes the angles. Also the valve angles on the Mopar heads
are different than other manufacturers but much more efficient with
smaller valves and ports. We dont need 2.02 valves and monster ports to make 1hp/cu.in. like the Chevy guys do. Mike

Is the problem only with the Edelbrock heads or does it also happen with the stock iron heads and the roller lifters?

Got the hood on today and took it for a drive. If you just step on it a little bit from a standing start or even rolling some it just fries the tires instantly. I did one burn out from a standing start, trans shifted into second right in the middle of the burn out and I had to let off then it went to third. Floored it and it shifted to second and you could feel the tires breaking loose and it was pulling really hard! Here is a video of me pulling it into the garage after its first drive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DH1DRzAVZI

Its really smooth and quiet when just cruising around. Much smoother and quieter then the old 340 was. But it is really loud when you step on it. That 4 barrel just ROARs when the pedal is down!

OK, the "cruise in the garage video" was just a teaser. We want tire smokin' videos!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sounds GREAT! toolman

The next video will be some tire smoking. Just need to find the time to take it back out. Had almost no time today due to family commitments. Only got to drive it around for 30 minutes or so.

Glad to hear you got that tick taken care of. I never would have guessed that pushrods rubbing would make that sound in a million years. Mine were close on the last engine I built (iron heads and 1.6 rockers) but a die-grinder took care of business and I have .020" or better at the nearest point on all pushrods. I figure if they deflect more than that @ 5500 rpms or less i got bigger problems, lol.

Looking forward to the burnout video!

Never mind tire smokin!!Let,s see a vid. of tires danglin!!Glad to hear it,s all together.Guess your going tire shopping?Big tires.no spin?Dangle time!!

I would not have thought the rubbing would have done it. But, looks like that's the case. Cool. Welcome to the "useless first gear" club...lol.

-
Back