Engine question

-

tylerrogers94

Reaction score
Witch one should I roll with? Wondering why the price difference as well?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 428
I would not buy either of them if I did not intend on tearing it down and measuring and inspecting everything.

hasn't blue print engines been around awhile though?

hasn't blue print engines been around awhile though?

They have and they have had their share of failures, too.

I would not buy anyone's crate engine without a total tear down and inspection.

Same with when I get machine work done. I measure and inspect everything. What's the difference? We've all seen failures on this site from the biggest names around. Why on earth someone would skip a necessary step is beyond me. Laziness maybe? I don't get it.

You're only talking about a gasket set to make sure everything is correct. I've seen crate engines have .020 bearings on a .010 crank before. Standard rings on .030 over pistons and so on. Happens all the time, I don't care who it is or how good they "think" their quality control is. The bottom line is, if there's a person in the mix, mistakes can and will happen.

Disassembly and inspection can eliminate any problems before they happen. Stupidity is the only reason I can think of as to why someone would not do it.

I wouldn't buy either, but that's just me

This. Send MRL/0U812 a P.M. .. A little more money,you have your buildup tailored to what you want & what you actually need. And the person on the phone,assembles it.. Just information ,for thought...

I don't know Blueprint engines, I have dealt with ATK in the past, they did a good job for me. At the time, they offered superior warranties on their products compared to their competition, I would have a tendency to trust them if I was shopping for a crate engine.

Good luck.

The term 'value' in the phrase "Value Power Base Crate Engines" likely means it has shortcuts on parts quality.... just be prepared for problems as they occur all too often with such purchases.

They have and they have had their share of failures, too.

I would not buy anyone's crate engine without a total tear down and inspection.

Same with when I get machine work done. I measure and inspect everything. What's the difference? We've all seen failures on this site from the biggest names around. Why on earth someone would skip a necessary step is beyond me. Laziness maybe? I don't get it.

You're only talking about a gasket set to make sure everything is correct. I've seen crate engines have .020 bearings on a .010 crank before. Standard rings on .030 over pistons and so on. Happens all the time, I don't care who it is or how good they "think" their quality control is. The bottom line is, if there's a person in the mix, mistakes can and will happen.

Disassembly and inspection can eliminate any problems before they happen. Stupidity is the only reason I can think of as to why someone would not do it.

I've seen a Chevy LT1 factory short block missing half a main bearing, right from Chevrolet...

Or build your own, with a few tools its not that hard, and with help from the guys on here its a piece of cake... Plus you get the satisfaction of saying you built it

I would build one. Thought about a crate 408 stroker but then decided to build one. Spent a little more but got more hp than the crate. If I had to chose I would go stroker.

The stroker from Blueprint will most likely be a total dog. At that price it will have stock heads with stock valve dimensions... not enough to feed those cubic inches. All done by 5000 I guess.

Alright so if I built my own, I mean I have never done it that's why. I guarantee I could figure it out, but if I buy one it has a warranty, that's my dellima.

Alright so if I built my own, I mean I have never done it that's why. I guarantee I could figure it out, but if I buy one it has a warranty, that's my dellima.

How many loopholes do you think that warranty has? If you buy one, you'll find out.

Good luck!

I bought a blueprint engine 6-7 yrs ago and honestly seems like a good engine haven't driven much maybe 1000 miles because of bad wiring harness. But if you asked if I'd buy another I would not and just build my own. Dustin

If you are good with hands and tools and have some sense, and are willing to read and listen closely, and not go too radical, then you have a decent likelihood of success on your own. My first performance engine was one I built and I had not done a complete motor before; I read and read and read.... and read some more. And asked questions at the local shops. But the dilemma is understood. The advice is because the crate engine route is a bit of a crapshoot; you may very well end up with a decent piece, or not.

What auto work have you done before, if I may ask? And what are your long term goals and plans for your car?

What is your realistic budget? What do you intend to do with the vehicle its going in?

What does said vehicle have for gears, the trans type and if you are willing to change the converter if auto and the gears?

I knew a a kid who built his first car engine at age 15. It was a 283 for his oil-burning 57 Belaire. The only special tool he bought was a torque wrench. It ran great for at least one year, til he sold it and used the money to buy a 70 Swinger340. He was an over-eager, try-anything, snot-nosed, law breaking, godless, young punk. If that guy could have success, with no other help than the data sheet, how much more success will you have? Well I'll tell you; Tons and tons, I expect.
Yeah that punk was me......and the year was 1968.

-
Back