engine rebuild help

-

dartman74

Reaction score
I am about to restore my first car!! My Grandma's 74 dart swinger. Best estimate from you all will help a great deal. It has a 318 and according to my father (where the car is) 500 miles away, the engine is going to need rebuilt. About how much is a full blown rebuild going to cost? I want to do this right the first time and don't want someone talking me into more or not enough. thanks

That is a tuff one to call. Machine costs are a big variable factor as well as part you put into the engine. Pistons and rings can vari greatly.

I agree with Rumble, thats a tough ? to answer, i guess its how you want to build it. Do you want a cruiser or something a little faster?

I would like it to be a little faster. I know this is pretty vague but like I said this is a new area that I am diving into.

I paid,I think about 800 dollars for my 318 thats cleaned,checked for cracks,bored 30 over polished crank new bearings through out new pistons,rings and gasket set

Thanks for the info!

If you are just looking for a rebuild you might want to consider buying a long block or short block already assembled. When your factor in machine work and parts they are pretty economical. Unless you are looking for the satisfaction of building your own motor....

As of right now it is an all numbers match and i would like to try and keep it that way as much as possible.

-
Back