Engine rebuilt or swap

-

Silent Thunder

Reaction score
I may be faced with either rebuilding my 273 in my 64 Valiant or buying a different engine. I want to keep the original factory push button transmission. My question is what is the largest engine that transmission can handle? 273 , 340 or 360 are my choices. I just do not want to go bigger if it is to much power for the standard transmission.

It's the power that the transmission can not handle, not engine size. The 4 spd can handle over 500 HP and torque. So if you can get a 360 for the car, then by all means, drop it in.

Correct me if I am wrong but does the pushbutton trans have a smaller converter hub size than later la engines.

I'm using my 1964 904 push button trans with a 415 small block. No problems. We did change the input shaft and a few other pieces to update it. Jayson

I may be faced with either rebuilding my 273 in my 64 Valiant or buying a different engine. I want to keep the original factory push button transmission. My question is what is the largest engine that transmission can handle? 273 , 340 or 360 are my choices. I just do not want to go bigger if it is to much power for the standard transmission.

If your just going to drive normally, any small block engine (with the typical modifications) will work with that transmission. Anything other than an early 273 will need a crank bushing for the converter however. If you're going to race it or work it hard, I'd have the transmission upgraded accordingly.

-
Back