Engine Run/Test stand

-

sgrip65

66 Dart GT 273, 65 Dart GT 273 HiPo
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello members. I have a built 340 and a HiPo 273 just waiting to be fired up. Would anyone be able to advise me, share with me, or direct me to a set of plans to build an engine test stand? I do have the front frame rails from a 65 Plymouth Valiant along with the radiator support which would make a great start for the Mopar engines. Basically, I will need to reinforce/brace the unit, but I am interested in the wiring, fuel, starter switch, and whatever else I might need to put this test stand together. Anything anyone can help me with would be a great help. Thank you very much. sgrip65

7BDD1447-A995-49CC-8595-C1370CDD6B05.jpeg
C9652084-65ED-4818-87BF-FA3B3B6CE708.jpeg
16345E1F-2191-4791-8679-3F74296DECBE.jpeg
0BCDFD46-688B-476E-86D2-3DB94FE5BD68.jpeg
50DC462A-4C3C-4AAC-8ABE-3CF077A1DDC7.jpeg
E79EE47C-988F-416F-8787-E28E66277ACD.jpeg
0B12A1F1-40CD-429D-9B54-6941D63B5BC8.jpeg
763E3FAE-4297-445C-BD21-AB2F4860212D.jpeg

Local steel shop, box beam in box beam.
I used a chop saw to cut the lengths as needed. Welded them togther. Presto.
Wire it up like a car or use the MP directions for “Widing up a Hot Rod” & you’ll be good to go.
Not seen is a battery tray and fuel cell tray. (Gas can with tube stuck in it under the fuel pump.)

Totally adjustable for what ever sits between the rails. Though I would need to probably make a plate for the transmission bell for what ever other make sits in there.

Harbor Freight 4 inch castors were used since it clears with a couple of plates on top of the castors for the engine hoist to roll under it.

That is a really large set of castors in that last picture! You say you can get those at harbor freight?

Yes, those nice big round bouncy baby buggy bumpers are excellent!

493DF189-2163-4520-B432-2AAB86DFD67B.jpeg
4285CB00-A059-4ED9-9D5B-B18745635EB1.jpeg
50A4FF01-8C5F-416B-9353-C20368FFC5E3.jpeg
I wish you lived closer. I have one about 80% finished and it’s time to thin the herd of some projects

Damn it.
At the risk of high jacking your thread SGrip,

You start thinking about selling and willing to ship Pitts, buzz me....

I would love to but between bad knees and living in the country shipping is just to much of a headache. Sorry

If you don’t mind me asking, What do think is resonable budget for material?

About how much time did you have building it?
Unfortunately I don't know how much it costs to build one as I was given a bunch of square tubing in exchange for rebuilding a friends skid steer trailer. Between what I had on hand and what I was given I had everything to build it on hand. I also don't know how much time I invested as I just worked on it whenever I didn't have another project. A couple of hours here and a couple there and before long it was done. I'm not much help am I?

Unfortunately I don't know how much it costs to build one as I was given a bunch of square tubing in exchange for rebuilding a friends skid steer trailer. Between what I had on hand and what I was given I had everything to build it on hand. I also don't know how much time I invested as I just worked on it whenever I didn't have another project. A couple of hours here and a couple there and before long it was done. I'm not much help am I?

LOL. Hey, I’ll take honesty any day

Shipping of the box tubing added up quick. With heavy duty wheels, gauges, prints, big block starter adapter I’m betting I was pushing 350.00

Found on on Craig’s list very similar to this one that is brand new for $400

Just do yourself a favor and really check thing over closely. I almost bought one for I’m Summit but the more I looked the more I was going to have to modify it.

There are nice engine dollys on Ebay for around 40 bucks that would make a nice start on one.

I didn’t keep recipes on the tubing, but that can fluctuate wildly from seller to seller, region to region. A spool of welding wire is cheap. No gas was used. The casters were cheap. I’m not kidding when I say spray paint was the most expensive item considering what’s being done. The radiator is from my Magnum but a new one like that one is was around $200 from AutoZone.

Gauges, if you have none are a little expensive to get for this project. Even cheap ones. But your really only looking for a Tach, oil & temp to break in and tune an engine while checking for leaks. Adding a set of 02 sensors really helps make the stand a great tool and get the tuning chore done real fast, but, Ka-ching $$$$$$$

Not for nothin though, purchasing a kit maybe a little more expensive than a well thought out home project, but I think it isn’t a bad deal ether.

-
Back