engine swap

-

rdb

Reaction score
There's lots of discussion about going from slant 6 to V8, but I would rather have the six and am told going either way it's a BIG job. How much would a good shop that knows old Mopar charge for this?

BTW this would be for a '64 dart gt -- since that's what my old car had that's what I want now. Sure most have the 6 but the ones with the correct interior I want always seem to have the v8.

The good thing is early "A's" use the same K frame for both the 6 and V8. Easy swap, hardest would be getting the engine mount brackets. All that would take is to run a wanted ad. Slants and trannies pop up for sale here quite often. Will you be running the push button ?. If so those trannies are a little tougher to find. I just gave one away 2 months ago. Where in Maryland? I have some friends near Hagerstown that are Slant Six Crazy. They may have everything you need and may even do the work for you.

It is not a big job either way. Get your ducks in a row, and it should only take a day or two.

Basically I wanted to have my old 64 GT convert again: black interior, power top, slant 6 and YES- 3 on the tree it had. I can hear guys screaming from here about that. 4 on floor also good, PB auto least good but that's what most of them had. Of course it could be repainted the ivory color I had. Like that one on ebay now has a great condition interior. Others say just better to wait til a slant shows up and then you are just down to changing PB auto to manual and some nice ones haev but wrong interior. Of course this is a paid job for me - I am an old car appreciator but don't have much going in the skills department. Not that far from Hagerstown, really.

The idea was to replace the V8 w/ a slant 6. I realize that is the total opposite of what is routinely done.

Welcome to the world of SLANT SICKNESS ! Send me a PM if you want to hook up with the friends near Hagerstown. They may want to help you, All we need to do is ask.

Basically I wanted to have my old 64 GT convert again: black interior, power top, slant 6 and YES- 3 on the tree it had. I can hear guys screaming from here about that. 4 on floor also good, PB auto least good but that's what most of them had. Of course it could be repainted the ivory color I had. Like that one on ebay now has a great condition interior. Others say just better to wait til a slant shows up and then you are just down to changing PB auto to manual and some nice ones haev but wrong interior. Of course this is a paid job for me - I am an old car appreciator but don't have much going in the skills department. Not that far from Hagerstown, really.

I think it is best to get a good body. Everything else is doable. Manual brakes are easy, The hardest would be the 3 on the tree. We just threw those parts away and put the shifter on the floor. I'm thinking 170 cu in, 4 speed OD? Good Luck.

I would have to find a shop to do the work. I guess it's just best to wait to find a slant 6, but a clean black original interior is a must. so, a tall order. Getting the PB auto put over to 3/tree 4/floor would be less of a pain. Wouldn't 3 tree be easier... 4 /floor have to punch a hole in the tunnel. At any rate, a donor car would have to be found.

Also wanted a power top -- how hard to add the hydraulics?

There's one thing to be aware of with the slant 6: The pre 67 and post 67 engines have a different size crankshaft register (hole in the end of the crank). The newer one is larger.

If you are using the existing transmission, the hub on the torque converter will be smaller on the 67 and down.

The hub is supposed to fit snugly in the crankshaft to keep from damaging the trans front bearing. When using the newer engine on the older trans (like if you want to keep the pushbutton) you will need a little adapter bushing that slips over the nub of the converter to make it fit snugly in the crank . Several people on this site sell them. I got mine from Charrlie S.

Now conversely, if you want to put a newer trans on an older motor, you are truly screwed because the hole in the older crank is smaller and the newer trans converter is BIGGER! and NO, the converters won't interchange either!

There is a lot of info on this site about this so do your research. Just remember: Newer engine on old trans: OK with adapter. Newer transmission on older slant 6 VERY HARD!

... Wouldn't 3 tree be easier... 4 /floor have to punch a hole in the tunnel. At any rate, a donor car would have to be found.

Do you have a 64 Dart yet? As far as the 3 on the tree is concerned, The problem is finding a good 3 on the tree column assy. 4 speeds are still available and all the parts to put one together like new. The only hard part is finding the floor hump for an early "A".

I like the one on ebay now... (no bids at 7K) ... because the interior is so clean. Still, I have to learn more about total costs before jumping in to anything. Eventually the right black interior/ slant 6 will show up. then it's just a question of getting a manual trans in there.
Still I have vicarious participation... bought owner's manual, shop manual, and a set up hubcaps hanging up in the basement. :smile:. I guess, thinking about it, a 4 speed is easier because you don't have to change steering coluimn. That is one change from my original one I could live with

Going from a V-8 to slant is easier. You can keep the V-8 steering cross-link, but someone going the other way might pay you $100 to swap with their slant one, and make you more factory. Ditto for going to a column shift. Get a complete engine w/ tranny so you know they match. A correct slant engine for 1964 would have 3 "freeze" plugs on the drivers side, and you must decide 170 or 225 cu in. Don't get a 1965 tranny. While also cable-shift like 64-, I think the pattern is different so the valve body is too.

Don't droop your head with a slant. A guy here added a turbo (and a few other extras) and ran a 1/4 mi in the 9's. Not many high-end resto-mods can do that.

It did occur that since most swaps are slant to V8 someone might want the V8. I think my '64 GT had the Charger 225 sticker on the air cleaner so that is the one I'd want.

Sort of off topic but does anyone know what mpg difference there is btw. a 3 tree and 4 floor -- I don 't know what the gear ratios are.

Still my '64 GT with a 3 tree must have been pretty rare, since that tranny usually went with the 170 or 270 Darts.

Hey man if you've got the will, it's fun to work on these old rides, don't be put off, dive in, enjoy! This place has all the info you'll ever need.

It did occur that since most swaps are slant to V8 someone might want the V8. I think my '64 GT had the Charger 225 sticker on the air cleaner so that is the one I'd want.

Sort of off topic but does anyone know what mpg difference there is btw. a 3 tree and 4 floor -- I don 't know what the gear ratios are.

Still my '64 GT with a 3 tree must have been pretty rare, since that tranny usually went with the 170 or 270 Darts.

I think final ratio's were both 1:1 so cruising would be the same. mpg depends on rear end gears, how well your engine seals up, and how you drive. I've gotten around 30 mpg highway with a 170: milled heads; performance valve job; cc'd chambers, Cam; 2 barrel carb and intake, 2 inch exhaust; electronic ignition. I cannot remember the gears or if I was running the 4 speed OD. I wish I would have saved that engine.

All I can say is to you good people from my home state Maryland go for the gusto and do what makes you feel good! I am now in the Chicago area with my 65 Formula S and going to shows most Sundays love hanging out with Old car people. I have made lots of good new friends here in the Chicagoland Mopar Club and we meet once a Month this time of year. Most times my car is on of 2 at most early a body Barracudas to show up at a show. I always laugh when people try to figure out what it is or what is in it. I tell people who ask what to do or how original it is (as it is not), that I have improved it to make it road worthy on todays roads. Front disc brakes, dual master cylinder set up, 14 inch rally wheels, modern drive shaft u joints, and a few other goodies to make it very safe and road worthy! Its a driver not a numbers matching show car! Reality its money value does not match whats in it and down the road when I get done with body and paint it will be way more invested in it than its worth, As I often see in other early a bodies! I have another friend now with a white 65 that's mint he invested 20k into it and truly a personal love! So do what you want with yours I have seen some very cool slant 6 road cars that rock. I also like them just as much as mine as they also represent what the early a body world was all about, simple affordable, fun cars for normal people to enjoy! In todays world where the other Mopar old cars are off the chart money wise you can still do what you want with an early a body and drive it to enjoy it! Slant 6 rules too!

65Cudalover

I have one that's practically done. Make an offer.

All I can say is to you good people from my home state Maryland go for the gusto and do what makes you feel good! I am now in the Chicago area with my 65 Formula S and going to shows most Sundays love hanging out with Old car people. I have made lots of good new friends here in the Chicagoland Mopar Club and we meet once a Month this time of year. Most times my car is on of 2 at most early a body Barracudas to show up at a show. I always laugh when people try to figure out what it is or what is in it. I tell people who ask what to do or how original it is (as it is not), that I have improved it to make it road worthy on todays roads. Front disc brakes, dual master cylinder set up, 14 inch rally wheels, modern drive shaft u joints, and a few other goodies to make it very safe and road worthy! Its a driver not a numbers matching show car! Reality its money value does not match whats in it and down the road when I get done with body and paint it will be way more invested in it than its worth, As I often see in other early a bodies! I have another friend now with a white 65 that's mint he invested 20k into it and truly a personal love! So do what you want with yours I have seen some very cool slant 6 road cars that rock. I also like them just as much as mine as they also represent what the early a body world was all about, simple affordable, fun cars for normal people to enjoy! In todays world where the other Mopar old cars are off the chart money wise you can still do what you want with an early a body and drive it to enjoy it! Slant 6 rules too!

65Cudalover

Well Said. Make what you want. Make it road worthy and safe. Forget the money, and enjoy!

Well, life is short, so why put things off?

Being a mild mannered Maryland non profit worker, I don't make a ton of money -- but have not been extravagant w/ other cars. My ride is a 20 year old Accord wagon, that looks like it is 5 years old and is in better shape than most 5 year old cars. Early next year, we'll cross 400K miles. Been driving it for 17 years. About the only one I have seen w/ a 5 speed.

I just want my 1st car again -- '64 Dart GT power top convert.... since it can't be found as is, it has to be made. and it won't be me doing the work --since setting timing is about as advanced as I get. The one just on ebay now has the super clean original interior, that is 1st priority.

Go check that car out if possible, looks pretty clean to me. If solid, buy and enjoy as is.
It may grow on you, then you can accumulate all the parts to swap over to what you want. I would`nt get so hungup on a slant. That 273 will get good economy and power to boot. Do as you will.:happy1:

You are probably right. Engine least important. if there were a way to retrofit power top, also cool. But getting a manual trans in there is most important. I people are surprised I would prefer 3 tree over 4 floor, but 3 sp manual is what mine had. But I guess w/ 3 tree you have to replace whole steering col so 4 sp is easier. Nevver bought a car online before.

You are probably right. Engine least important. if there were a way to retrofit power top, also cool. But getting a manual trans in there is most important. I people are surprised I would prefer 3 tree over 4 floor, but 3 sp manual is what mine had. But I guess w/ 3 tree you have to replace whole steering col so 4 sp is easier. Nevver bought a car online before.
That`s why you need to go check it out, or start a new thread asking if somebody lives close enough to check it for you.
That, or I would want a boatload of pics, inside and out, underneath, the whole 9.
My brother wanted a 65 GTO, the car was beautiful in the pics, he drove from WV to Mich. 15 hrs one way, the cars inner rear quarters was`nt even attached to the quarters, He was pissed, 25K was too good to be true for that car, He went home with an empty trailer, Heck I was dissapointed too

-
Back