Enough Tire

-

69Chrgr

Charger/Cuda
Reaction score
O.k., here is the million dollar question: There is no doubt I have enough horsepower and torque from my stroker, converter, tranny, and 3.91 suregrip, but can I get it to the ground and maybe, just maybe, get a little tire lift with BF Goodrich 235/60 R15's? This engine/tranny combo is a dam monster, but now I can't seem to get it to hook. Any thoughts or opinions are welcome. Oh yeah, it's in a 68 nothcback. My 69 Hemi Charger is getting scared. lol.8)

Thanks Again,
Darren

With that size tire, your choices are extremely limited. If you're married to that size, then the BF's are the best choice. Might want to drop down to a 225/60/15 though, much more selection, with only a slight treadwidth difference.

In that size, for the money, the BFG g-Force Sports will probably be your best bet. Softer compound for traction, but not so soft you'll be buying tires every 3 months :-D

JMO

Billy

I'd highly doubt you'd get anywhere near lifting a front tire with bfg t/as. My 318 will snap 295 nittos loose at 20. You're gonna need some bigger drag radial/slick to hook up and pull a tire. Nice 275 drag radial probably to hook on the street.. . .maybe

Not sure what you are asking but I have 255/60-15's on the back of my 68 Barracuda on 8" wide rims and 225/60-15's on 7" wide rims up front. I likely could have fit 275/50's out back and if the rim had less than 4.5" of back space a 295/50 would have fit.

Yeah, I was afraid of that. Right now I can't find any rims that are 4.5 inch backspacing for a 5 on 4 SBP. I was wanting to go with a 10 inch rim and 275 60 R15 as suggested by AdamR, however I can't find anything close. Will a 275/60 R15 fit o.k. on an 8.5 inch rim?

Centerline has 5X4" bolt patern rims. I had Autodrags on my 69. 15X8.5" with a 4-7/8" backspacing and 275-60 M/T drag radial.

IM000527.jpg

I think you will need less back spacing though if you dont have offset spring hangers.

I did have a 255-60 on the same rims before I moved the spring but they were real close to hitting.

Yeah, I was afraid of that. Right now I can't find any rims that are 4.5 inch backspacing for a 5 on 4 SBP. I was wanting to go with a 10 inch rim and 275 60 R15 as suggested by AdamR, however I can't find anything close. Will a 275/60 R15 fit o.k. on an 8.5 inch rim?

275/60, 275/50 or 295/50 will fit on an 8" rim with no problems. 8" is right in the middle of the recommended rim width for those size tires.

Wheel Vintiques has mopar ralley wheels in 15x8 with 4.5" back spacing to fit the small bolt circle. You can get them through Summit Racing and not have to pay any shipping charges.

Thank you dgc333. If I do plan on M/T tires, which one is the stickiest besides an all out slick to get that 11 second time slip? Right now I just have SS springs and a pinion snubber.

235/60-15 is only 26 x 9.3 maybe a slick or street slick/ drag radial. but if its only a bfg street tire you'll have to pedal the car

also watch if you put a taller tire on because you may have to add gear now... its a never ending circle..lol.

also make sure your suspension is set right. make sure witht he s/s springs that the shocks are long enough.. if they are to short when the car launched and the shocks smack at full extend then it will unload the tires and lack of traction will result.

-
Back