EQ heads, Chevy rockers and what studs?

-
Have you moved the studs on the EQ Magnum heads; is there enough material in those little cast bosses to move the studs and retain reliability?
Your input on this thread is greatly appreciated, and also thanks for making the correction kits you offer for LA heads and big block heads. I'll be contacting you for a couple of those hopefully in the near future.
The stock and stock replacement heads don't leave a lot of room. It's likely you won't get the pattern centered without also using an offset fulcrum rocker like Crower makes. Jim (IQ52) may have some additional recommendations though.

Have you moved the studs on the EQ Magnum heads; is there enough material in those little cast bosses to move the studs and retain reliability?

The stock and stock replacement heads don't leave a lot of room. It's likely you won't get the pattern centered without also using an offset fulcrum rocker like Crower makes. Jim (IQ52) may have some additional recommendations though.

As I stated in the N.A.C.C.B.P.P. EQ360 thread, I moved the stud as far as I felt safe. I wasn't comfortable with the strength of the stud boss after going with solid roller valve springs, a 7/16 stud and moving it towards the intake manifold. So I decided to make sure and go with a stud girdle and tie everything down solidly. It is explained in the EQ360 thread with pictures. I am comfortable with what I have now.

As I stated in the N.A.C.C.B.P.P. EQ360 thread, I moved the stud as far as I felt safe. I wasn't comfortable with the strength of the stud boss after going with solid roller valve springs, a 7/16 stud and moving it towards the intake manifold. So I decided to make sure and go with a stud girdle and tie everything down solidly. It is explained in the EQ360 thread with pictures. I am comfortable with what I have now.
My question appears out of order because you posted while I was taking too long to correct my terrible attempt at spelling. Sorry about that. Your thread is a great help on this. Thanks again.

I cannot say THANK YOU enough to everyone! First AND LAST Magnum I'll do. I had sold this motor, before completion and now run into this. I'll let the new owner decide what to do, including a full refund of his deposit if he chooses as I think he was "set" on that solid cam. Oh well, if I'm stuck with it, the EQ heads will be for sale and back to LA style we go.

Wait! One more question if you don't mind. Opinions on a OE stamped Magnum rocker tolerating a Comp 26995 beehive spring: 125 closed/305 open, or am I looking for trouble there too?

How much lift are you going to? And what peak RPM is anticipated? Those springs have a low rate relative to the standard 'hi-po' straight springs. So while closed seat pressures are certainly higher than stock, the open spring pressures are not super high like often is the case with the really strong straight valve springs.

As an aside.... I have been curious why folks don't use flat steel shims between the base of a stock Magnum pedestal and the rocker boss to raise and lower the fulcrum to set lash on a solid. (Not adressing any geometry issues at the moment, of course....) It wouldn't be quick to set up, but there have been lash adjustment systems that were worse. (I can recall some Fiat or Audi systems with discs that were pretty horrid.)

Nice.... looking at the 2nd-to-last pix in the instructions, it appears like the height and orientation of the valve axis to the center of 'shaft' may be pretty good for geometry. (Assuming the pix are accurate and I am seeing them right...) Imagine a line from the center of the shaft to the roller-tip contact on the valve tip; if it is perpendicular to the valve stem's axis at mid lift, that is the best you can do for the height of the shaft.

http://www.hughesengines.com/Upload/productInstructions/HUG1555new.pdf

Problem solved. Thank you Hughes for what appears to be a great product!!

23FDCA32-42BC-4C2B-9967-2DC2525B74F3.jpeg

D58860E0-293B-4BB9-99C9-E4617FFA99CF.jpeg

Got a set of the hughes rockers for a set of ported eddy magnum heads I have,,,,,you have remove the heil coils for the studs and put new thread inserts

What kind of pattern are you getting on the valve tips with those Hughes rockers?
Also, please post a picture from the front or rear showing how they sit while camshaft is on base circle, and at full lift. Been curious about these.

I was thinking of the Crower backset trunion rockers as a fix
or there are studs with 1/2 inch lower thread which could offset without welding- have not tried it in a magnum but have used for repairs elsewhere
I'll have to check out the Hughes and Crane suggestions
I usually use + length valves in SBM and Pontiacs and others with shot spring heights

I set up a set of the Hughes Magnum rockers for member Matts440 when I did his Eddy cylinder heads. With a solid roller that has a fair amount of lift, the rockers still had to be raised a bit for proper geometry. Anything with less lift would need more correction. A longer valve would make it even worse, and just using a stud conversion just puts you back where the OP started from. Overall though, the Hughes are probably the easiest to correct, at least on a Magnum head, and they use a cup style adjuster.

I’ll get some additional pics when I see the motor again next weekend.

These are definitely application specific. I don’t think I’d trust them with a big solid roller and big spring pressure. But I think the Allen head 5/16 fasteners should be enough with my moderate lift solid cam and 125/325 spring pressures. Hughes said I was “plenty safe” with my springs.

-
Back