Erson Cams Quality Discussion

-
The good:

I like Erson because a lot of their stuff is what I consider old school grinds. Lazy ramps, slow lift rates, low lift.....just right for an everyday street machine. Not everything needs the fastest and most aggressive rates of lift. Who wants a lot of valve train noise from a hydraulic grind? Not me.

Some bad:

I remember when we had a Super Shops years ago in Macon, those guys would try to sell those cams with like .425 lift and 240 @ .050. lol Then when we would say something about the low lift, they would come back and try to sell the Erson 1.6 rockers. lol I don't know.....when everybody else's lift with the same duration was .500 or more, it just seemed like Erson was kinda fallin behind. Maybe it was just that the Stupid Shops as we called um only carried one particular line. I know, one minute I talk about likin the low lift (and I do) and the next complain about it. lol I even went through the Erson master catalog back then and they all seemed low on lift. That's a good thing when you want it, but when you don't, it's nice to have alternatives.

More bad. You asked:

I have tried for three solid years to get Erson tech on the phone. Never gotten one single answer. I am not the only one, either. Course, now since I am not building a slant six anymore, I don't need to call Erson.

Suggestion:

Seems to me Erson is kinda a "underdog" or almost unknown cam grinder. Yall need more advertisement. I see Comp, Crane, Isky, Lunati and on and on but rarely see Erson ads anywhere, and it ain't like I got turnip leaves stickin outta my *** where the internet's concerned. lol

All in all, I think yall have good products. I gotta 360 I am building for a member here and guess what? I actually SOUGHT OUT a 30 year old Erson hydraulic grind just for his build. It's a perfect match.

Lastly, since you asked a bunch of Mopar people what THEY want, I tell you what you do. Go look at the Mopar cams available on the Hughes Engines site and on the Howards Cams site. Pay particular attention to the amount of lift PER duration. You'll see they grind a ton of lift for a given duration taking advantage of Mopar's whopper john .903 lifter diameter. Lotsa companies ain't doin that. Look at Comp. Same cookie cutter cams as everybody else, UNLESS you go with like their Purple Plus grinds and they ain't very many.

The good:

I like Erson because a lot of their stuff is what I consider old school grinds. Lazy ramps, slow lift rates, low lift.....just right for an everyday street machine. Not everything needs the fastest and most aggressive rates of lift. Who wants a lot of valve train noise from a hydraulic grind? Not me.

Some bad:

I remember when we had a Super Shops years ago in Macon, those guys would try to sell those cams with like .425 lift and 240 @ .050. lol Then when we would say something about the low lift, they would come back and try to sell the Erson 1.6 rockers. lol I don't know.....when everybody else's lift with the same duration was .500 or more, it just seemed like Erson was kinda fallin behind. Maybe it was just that the Stupid Shops as we called um only carried one particular line. I know, one minute I talk about likin the low lift (and I do) and the next complain about it. lol I even went through the Erson master catalog back then and they all seemed low on lift. That's a good thing when you want it, but when you don't, it's nice to have alternatives.

More bad. You asked:

I have tried for three solid years to get Erson tech on the phone. Never gotten one single answer. I am not the only one, either. Course, now since I am not building a slant six anymore, I don't need to call Erson.

Suggestion:

Seems to me Erson is kinda a "underdog" or almost unknown cam grinder. Yall need more advertisement. I see Comp, Crane, Isky, Lunati and on and on but rarely see Erson ads anywhere, and it ain't like I got turnip leaves stickin outta my *** where the internet's concerned. lol

All in all, I think yall have good products. I gotta 360 I am building for a member here and guess what? I actually SOUGHT OUT a 30 year old Erson hydraulic grind just for his build. It's a perfect match.

Lastly, since you asked a bunch of Mopar people what THEY want, I tell you what you do. Go look at the Mopar cams available on the Hughes Engines site and on the Howards Cams site. Pay particular attention to the amount of lift PER duration. You'll see they grind a ton of lift for a given duration taking advantage of Mopar's whopper john .903 lifter diameter. Lotsa companies ain't doin that. Look at Comp. Same cookie cutter cams as everybody else, UNLESS you go with like their Purple Plus grinds and they ain't very many.
Sage advice,RRR.... And one of the reasons ,he's here. As far as the old days,agreed. Everything advertised,had .450,60,70" lift. Anything else cost money,lol. Seen a couple of the old TQ20 grinds,in 4x4 Chevs. Annilated the tires,tuned right. Heard more good,than bad.

The good:

Some bad:

More bad. You asked:

Suggestion:

Thanks for your advice, I'll take all of it into consideration. I'm going to check out the cams on Hughes and Howard's sites. We do have some new profiles now that are a little more aggressive and have more lift. We are a bit of an underdog, but that's why we're doing this right now. I have extremely well-trained machinists custom grinding all of our camshafts and I know comparing our product to our competition's, our craftsmanship is spot on.
Thanks again for your feedback.
Russ

Well I wanna make it CLEAR, I am an Erson advocate. Always have been. I LIKE the fact that you offer lazy ramps. Not everybody does anymore. And no matter how blue you talk your face into, you cannot tell people they do not always need the fastest rates of lift. It's just not necessary all the time. In fact, for an everyday street engine, I would endeavor to find a good old school grind any day. So, please don't stop offering those. Hard to beat a good, low lift long duration cam on the street for longevity.

Well I wanna make it CLEAR, I am an Erson advocate. Always have been. I LIKE the fact that you offer lazy ramps. Not everybody does anymore. And no matter how blue you talk your face into, you cannot tell people they do not always need the fastest rates of lift. It's just not necessary all the time. In fact, for an everyday street engine, I would endeavor to find a good old school grind any day. So, please don't stop offering those. Hard to beat a good, low lift long duration cam on the street for longevity.

I understand. We still kept all the original Sig Erson profiles, and still produce a lot of the original cams from back the 70s and 80s. We took the manufacturing facility over two and a half years ago and are trying to bring Erson back to life. Thanks for your support.
Russ

I understand. We still kept all the original Sig Erson profiles, and still produce a lot of the original cams from back the 70s and 80s. We took the manufacturing facility over two and a half years ago and are trying to bring Erson back to life. Thanks for your support.
Russ

That's good news... I was curious. Are you going internet only, or willing to get back into the retail world,as things happen? As a retail parts guy,options & opportunities, help......

Russ

That is some good news. Lots of businesses are falling by the way side nowadays. It's good to see yall are trying to stay around. Keep us posted please.

That's good news... I was curious. Are you going internet only, or willing to get back into the retail world,as things happen? As a retail parts guy,options & opportunities, help......

We're not internet only. We'll sell directly to anyone and we have shop and engine builder deals available. If you PM me I can put you in contact with Eric and he can set you up an account.
Thanks
Russ

That is some good news. Lots of businesses are falling by the way side nowadays. It's good to see yall are trying to stay around. Keep us posted please.

Thanks for all of your support. Anything we can do to help you guys out, we'll be glad to assist you in any way. And anything you guys can do to help us to make the best product possible, we welcome all feedback.
Thanks
Russ

OP: You're either very secure or very crazy to come on this forum and solicit good, bad, and indifferent comments. I've never seen an Erson cam for sale other than the group order that SlantSix.Org did a while back. I've never driven a car or run-in a motor on a dyno with an Erson cam in it. Thanks for the info on the company's return to the land of the living.

Based on this info, when I do build another engine I will consider an Erson cam. Based on your responses to the comments here, I expect that I'll receive respectful, accurate, and timely product support. The past reputation of Erson cams puts big expectations on you.

Seriously, do not use the incompetents that tried to get the Obamacare web site to work. The site should not freeze up when more than one person is on it. A good screen build should take no longer than 5 seconds on the slowest non-dialup connection. (Summit Racing's web site is a decent bogey for your web team to shoot at.) Joeychgo, web meister extrordinaire, on FABO may be a good source of web site info. Good luck.

I like Erson a lot also. I want one! did not know they were around. Used to have one in my 67 GTO back in high school. (wwaaaayyy back in 1981, YIKES!). Strong running goat to say the least.

The fact that a cam manufacturer is on here to answer questions means a lot to me. So many companies now days are unreachable or just don't give a crap to take the time to deal with us the consumers. This alone has me in contact with Erson for my NSS Stroker build.

We want to be the best cam manufacturer on the market. We're not crazy. The only way you can be the best is to know the worst that's out there and fix the problems as they are presented to you. We're not perfect, but we're trying really hard to be. That's why I will welcome all feedback anytime. We're working on getting a PDF file put together on our website with a full line of our Chrysler products. It's not on there at this time. Anybody that wants an Erson catalog, feel free to PM me with your mailing address. I will gladly send you one of our catalogs. It has a full line of Chrysler cams and it also has our complete list of our lobe profiles so you can pick out your own combination if you like for us to custom grind for you. If anybody's ever in the Louisville, KY area stop on by, we'll be glad to give you a tour and show you the quality and craftsmanship that goes in to every Erson cam.
Thanks
Russ

Anyone on this forum who orders a camshaft: please let the salesman know how you came in contact with him and tell him to post a note on the work order for us to send you a t shirt.

Thank you Erson. I understand you also do the Slant Six cams as alot of guys over on SlantSix.org are using them.

Thanks for letting me know you got the catalogs. If anyone else wants one, PM me. If anyone else requested one and doesn't receive it in a couple of days, let me know.
Thanks
Russ

With all this having been said, how about a bit of history? I was under the impression that the Company went down along with Super Shops when they closed their doors. Is the Erson Family still in ownership/involved with the company?

Bob

I love my Erson cam. I have an Erson E-4 in my 273, 4-V, Formula S, 67 Barracuda converitble. Some punk in a rice-grinder with one of those exhaust pipes that make it sound like a chainsaw thought he was going to beat me to the highway entrance ramp the other day......... I think not!!!

I love my Erson cam. I have an Erson E-4 in my 273, 4-V, Formula S, 67 Barracuda converitble. Some punk in a rice-grinder with one of those exhaust pipes that make it sound like a chainsaw thought he was going to beat me to the highway entrance ramp the other day......... I think not!!!

I love it! "I think not!!!"

With all this having been said, how about a bit of history? I was under the impression that the Company went down along with Super Shops when they closed their doors. Is the Erson Family still in ownership/involved with the company?

Bob

As far as history goes for the company, I know that it has been bought and sold several times. Engine Parts Warehouse purchased the company roughly seven and a half years ago. I took over the manufacturing facility in October of 2011 and have been trying to bring this back to life by manufacturing the highest quality camshafts we possibly can. We're a very small company in comparison to our competition. We're hoping we can put a dent in the market by manufacturing the best quality product. This is the reason why I asked for any feedback, good or bad. There's always room for improvement, and this is a quickly changing market. We're doing our best to keep up. Thanks to everyone for all the feedback, the good and the bad. I'm very surprised at the responses that we've gotten.
Thanks
Russ

Called and talked to Eric today and we talked about what cam I need. He is going to make one for m NSS 470 Dart. Nice guy and great to talk to.

Called and talked to Eric today and we talked about what cam I need. He is going to make one for m NSS 470 Dart. Nice guy and great to talk to.

Thanks for giving us a call. Glad we could make you something. Please let me know how you like the product when it shows up.
Thanks
Russ

If anyone is interested in a four-pattern cam combination, we're working on these to help with the different length runners of an intake. We don't have any of these combinations in our catalog, but we'll be glad to custom grind one. If you have any questions, PM us and we'll get you in contact with our technical consultant.
Thanks
Russ

-
Back