ET'S with ported J/or other iron heads SB

-
I said I'd START in February. And I will.

And yes...lots of good parts for sale in a few weeks. And a cheeseburger if you can A) find the place and B) get there before it closes and we all go home.

Put on blinders so you don't see the donut shops and get distracted by them.

Also, it's at the Clark County Fairgrounds. That should be easy to locate.
Any direct connection stuff?..

Any direct connection stuff?..

HA! I wish. I buy any of that stuff I can find. Some W2 heads, one W5 (tried to stuff that up Rumbles behind but he passed on it) one W7 that if I could a match for I'd keep, a W2 intake, a W5 intake (again, try to find a home for it at Rumbles house but he passed on it), several ignition systems, several distributors...can't think of what else is going to be there...some Pontiac garbage...a Quadrajet carb and intake...some Chevy stuff...lead69 will be there and that makes it worth the trip...I'm sure there is other stuff I'm forgetting...maybe a Holley carb that I'll dang near give away...

HA! I wish. I buy any of that stuff I can find. Some W2 heads, one W5 (tried to stuff that up Rumbles behind but he passed on it) one W7 that if I could a match for I'd keep, a W2 intake, a W5 intake (again, try to find a home for it at Rumbles house but he passed on it), several ignition systems, several distributors...can't think of what else is going to be there...some Pontiac garbage...a Quadrajet carb and intake...some Chevy stuff...lead69 will be there and that makes it worth the trip...I'm sure there is other stuff I'm forgetting...maybe a Holley carb that I'll dang near give away...
I've chatted with lead69 here on the forum and he sounds like he's looking forward to it as well.. maybe I'll buy the Holley carburetor and sell parts to crazycuda :poke:...

I believe you know the guy with the 340 with 1.88 cast-iron heads doing 9's. Do you realize this thread was from 2007 and got revised a couple days ago? My point was that if this is the case there's some real exceptional things going on with that car that are not being mentioned... As far as getting out a little more, how far do you go to see these races?..

monster Mopar is 3.5 hours from me.
The guy with the mid 9’s 340 is Vic Bloomer. His brother is the guy who has sold Mopar small block stroker kits for a long time. Most anybody in the hobby knows him, Bloomerperformance engineering
That 340 does have aluminum rods, gets spun 8500+, etc, but pretty low compression piece. Again this combo/ car running like it has is no big secret. Most anybody on Moparts any time at all knows him

Can I join ?? My guy is now the driver of "Arnie the Farmer's" Tameless Tiger. We just had a conversation while leaning on and talking around the Tameless Tiger. My guy got it going in the 4's again in the 1/8. And before my guy was "my guy", we raced out of town as teenagers.... Do I count now??? LOL
:rofl:

And one more thing..... Arnie, the farmer down the road from me, was kick'n the stuff'ns out of all your big names as he traveled around taking win after win. And those that showed up to the world series in his class, yeah, the home boy kicked the stuff'ns out of them there too.... I was there to see it! Now, the next time I posted something, ya'll better be listening... cuz I know people... :D

Sorry, I had to join the fun... :D :D BWAHAHAHAA

And one more thing..... Arnie, the farmer down the road from me, was kick'n the stuff'ns out of all your big names as he traveled around taking win after win. And those that showed up to the world series in his class, yeah, the home boy kicked the stuff'ns out of them there too.... I was there to see it! Now, the next time I posted something, ya'll better be listening... cuz I know people... :D

Sorry, I had to join the fun... :D :D BWAHAHAHAA
:rofl::rofl:

:D

DSCN2653.JPG

I always get a laugh out of the people who have nothing to do with Stock eliminator and have never tried it...... yet proclaim to have all these ideas about what can and can’t be done.

Let me tell you....... unless you’ve tried it yourself...... you don’t know...... what you don’t know.

Many Stockers that aren’t all that fast relative to their indexes, or don’t qualify very high up on the sheet..... still run pretty damn good compared to a lot of average bracket or street/strip stuff.
And much to the disbelief of the casual observer...... many of them are FAR from high effort or high dollar endeavors.

I was just having this conversation with my friend the other day about the 350 Pontiac he tried this summer.
Sure..... his car is pretty well sorted out....... but that motor was a zero R&D effort.
Buy the correct parts, bolt it together, put it in the car.
Didn’t even go on the dyno.
10.99 first pass off the trailer.

I was thinking if it would have gone 11.20’s it would have been doing okay.

Best so far is 10.80@123.

Yes..... a .421 lift cam, small valve heads that flow 200, stock iron intake (eBay special), q-jet.

We were talking about how good it ran and how totally un-trick it is.

In stock, good running low cr 340’s run in the 10’s.
But, even the ones that don’t run that good are still well into the 11’s.

I prepped some heads for a 360 that went in a 1980 Mirada Stocker.
3410 min weight...... went 11.70’s...... and that was 10 years ago.

A pretty basic, straightforward build with a proper cheater cam, good working carb, the right gears, a GOOD converter, built from a particular combo that doesn’t flat out suck....... should be solidly .3 or more under the index pretty easily.

That’s often quicker than a typical street/strip equivalent running a big cam, heads with some porting, big carb, aftermarket intake, etc.

Last edited:
monster Mopar is 3.5 hours from me.
The guy with the mid 9’s 340 is Vic Bloomer. His brother is the guy who has sold Mopar small block stroker kits for a long time. Most anybody in the hobby knows him, Bloomerperformance engineering
That 340 does have aluminum rods, gets spun 8500+, etc, but pretty low compression piece. Again this combo/ car running like it has is no big secret. Most anybody on Moparts any time at all knows him
Screenshot_20200102-071702.png

Let's start with the original post number one back in 2007.. I got to ask does this look like back in 2007 he was looking for a world-famous shop owner and what he's doing motor? Or dose it look like a guy who's looking for some advice on what he can do with moderate expense?
Now you have mentioned your friend a couple times that owns a famous High Performance Machine Shop. Again when you call out that much of an exception to the rule it's generally someone that has the backing to make it happen. And also this is great promotion for his shop..
As far as getting out and knowing people a three and a half hour drive could be like me going from Portland to Seattle and that wouldn't be a problem.. hundreds of cars come down from Washington to Oregon for the Mopar Nationals... I can probably point out quite a few shop owners that have exceptional cars but you wouldn't know their names.. I certainly wouldn't accuse you of not getting out enough because you didn't...
If I'm going to name drop I would say I like to race 4 Speed like socks and Martin...
When I raced the 4-speed class (at the Northwest Woodburn Mopar Nationals) I took out all the cars you see in front of me to make it to the semi-final round... That's what I did...
IMG_20190721_114931.jpg

as far as getting out for me I was in Michigan a couple years ago visiting family. All my family comes from there and I was born there... 3-12-1 and I'm still a fan...
IMG_20200101_205922.jpg

I always get a laugh out of the people who have nothing to do with Stock eliminator and have never tried it...... yet proclaim to have all these ideas about what can and can’t be done.

Let me tell you....... unless you’ve tried it yourself...... you don’t know...... what you don’t know.

Many Stockers that aren’t all that fast relative to their indexes, or don’t qualify very high up on the sheet..... still run pretty damn good compared to a lot of average bracket or street/strip stuff.
And much to the disbelief of the casual observer...... many of them are FAR from high effort or high dollar endeavors.

I was just having this conversation with my friend the other day about the 350 Pontiac he tried this summer.
Sure..... his car is pretty well sorted out....... but that motor was a zero R&D effort.

Yes..... a .421 lift cam, small valve heads that flow 200, stock iron intake (eBay special), q-jet.

Sure his car is well sorted out can you elaborate with that..
so this is just normal Joe Blow that works downtown at an office and reads a few books and all of a sudden he has a well sort out car with a stock engine that does under 11 seconds?.. my point is there's always some parts of the story that are left out..

Last edited:

yep, I do know. Here I am with a guy I've known about 30 yrs at the track.. a couple hundred dollar (not thousand) 360 stocker truck. 3600 lbs. 12.4's. His "good motor" went 11.3's in the truck.

so this is just normal Joe Blow that works downtown at an office and reads a few bucks and all of a sudden he has a well sort out car with a stock engine that does under 11 seconds?.. my point is there's always some parts of the story that are left out..
Simple. 5.13 gears, 8" 5200 stall converter, 320 duration @ 050, 450 lbs valve springs. It's no secret how they do it. They blast through the 1/8 which results in a good 1/4 mile time. Ever notice how most stock eliminators speed is a little slow for the ET? That's why. But they only mention the .427 lift cam... lol

Last edited:
yep, I do know. Here I am with a guy I've known about 30 yrs at the track.. a couple hundred dollar (not thousand) 360 stocker truck. 3600 lbs. 12.4's. His "good motor" went 11.3's in the truck.

That truck sounds like it needs a tune up! :poke::rofl:

Well that's it a guru laughed at me now I got to run and hide with my humiliation...

so this is just normal Joe Blow that works downtown at an office and reads a few bucks and all of a sudden he has a well sort out car with a stock engine that does under 11 seconds?.. my point is there's always some parts of the story that are left out..

I could elaborate on the car, but I’m not going to.

He’s a regular guy with a regular job.
A mechanic at a dealership.
Started out bracket racing in the early 90’s, decided to morph his bracket car into a Stocker a few years later....... and has been racing in Stock ever since.
When he first started in Stock the car wouldn’t even run the index.
He kept working on it, making changes, learning...... about 10 years later it set the record and became the first GTO Stocker to run in the 10’s.
In 2005 he bought a ratted out Firebird, had the body done and did all the mechanical work himself, and took the motor/trans out of the GTO and put it in the Firebird.
That car has set the record a couple of times.

Other than the body work, the roll bar install, and the engine machine work...... he does all the rest himself.

4C490C12-114F-4220-9FFA-E98D329660F5.jpeg

Last edited:
Well that's it a guru laughed at me now I got to run and hide with my humiliation...
Here is my thing. Everyone that quotes their friends car always says "he runs XX.XX with .444 lift". You know why, it's because it's the "wow" factor. Sounds like somebody is the guru's guru! They never say my friend run XX.XX with ____ gears, and ____ converter, and _____ duration and leave out the lift.

Here is my thing. Everyone that quotes their friends car always says "he runs XX.XX with .444 lift". You know why, it's because it's the "wow" factor. Sounds like somebody is the guru's guru! They never say my friend run XX.XX with ____ gears, and ____ converter, and _____ duration and leave out the lift.
And owns a trailer to take it to the track and a truck to pull it...
I know that's my point that I'm making these are exceptional cars...

a
Also that's why I quoted what I did because it is absolutely never ever ever never ever their car....

I could elaborate on the car, but I’m not going to.

He’s a regular guy with a regular job.
A mechanic at a dealership.
Started out bracket racing in the early 90’s, decided to morph his bracket car into a Stocker a few years later....... and has been racing in Stock ever since.
When he first started in Stock the car wouldn’t even run the index.
He kept working on it, making changes, learning...... about 10 years later it set the record and became the first GTO Stocker to run in the 10’s.
In 2005 he bought a ratted out Firebird, had the body done and did all the mechanical work himself, and took the motor/trans out of the GTO and put it in the Firebird.
That car has set the record a couple of times.

Other than the body work, the roll bar install, and the engine machine work...... he does all the rest himself.

View attachment 1715446573
Cool car I always like to Firebirds in that year.. how much does it weigh?...

And owns a trailer to take it to the track and a truck to pull it...
I know that's my point that I'm making these are exceptional cars...
Honestly, just telling the "one part" and leave the whole story out makes me sketchy. I say my combo from bumper to bumper. It is what it is. If someone likes it, great. IF not, ok. Truth be told, I could go down to Jabs house and build a low 11 second car within 24 hrs. He has 4.88's, stocker cam, 8" converter (4800 it think), and a 73 Duster with cage. All I would need to bring is the proper valve springs. His 750 DP would get it there. Just say'n, this isn't uncovering ancient secrets.

The bottom line is, there are a lot of people who get offended at the idea that someone is just out-working them.
Stockers don’t go fast by accident.
You have to work on it, and be willing to swap out some parts if you want to keep advancing the performance.

When they don’t like what they hear, then they just start adding stipulations to justify why it’s faster than their car.
Oh it doesn’t run on pump gas, oh they can drive it on the street, oh the converter is expensive.
No ****...... everything is a compromise.

If you want to drive to the track on pump gas and run a cheap converter, and not have a cam that’s hard on parts..... that’s fine.
It’s going to go slower.

Others who have placed a higher priority on better ET’s have made their choices....... and that’s why they run like they run.

Just say'n, this isn't uncovering ancient secrets
Exactly.

Cool car I always like to Firebirds in that year.. how much does it weigh?...
Depends on the motor and class......
But, 3275-3425-ish.

With the 350 in it, it was 3300lbs.

One of the combos he tried ran in “F”....... it had to weigh 3580lb to run that way.
It’s happier in the lighter classes.

-
Back