ET'S with ported J/or other iron heads SB

-
I disagree.......yes j par i know how to push the red check mark

Any way, times(et's) that are forum racer can do, give up hope that we can too.
stock eliminator have more money in there induction system(carb, intake and heads,) then most of us have in a complete eng build.
"I got a buddy"... LOL..

If you are
"I got a buddy"... LOL..
If referring to me, the guy i cite is Vic Bloomer. Brother of Rod who owns Bloomer engineering.
I am a racer, i race. Lots.
If i mention another racer, his combo, and what it runs, its because i personally know what it is and have seen it run. Many know Vic, and his abilities.
I leave all the keyboard fantasy stuff to others

I think what J par was commenting on is that i mentioned him and the red X
He thinks i'm going to be his RED X buddy now.

If you are

If referring to me, the guy i cite is Vic Bloomer. Brother of Rod who owns Bloomer engineering.
If i mention another racer, his combo, and what it runs, its because i personally know what it is and have seen it run. Many know Vic, and his abilities.
Yes I was referring to you. I don't know who you are but this is the internet so I take things at face value. Got plenty of guys on here who name drop. I race but not as much as I would like to because of financial circumstances. I wasn't meaning to be that much of a smartass but I have a friend that race is a lot and is very fast and when I mentioned this forum he laughs at me because probably he doesn't have time for this...
I guess we all have a friend...
I'm not sure how telling somebody you have a friend who has a 9 second 340 with stock heads is going to help us but maybe if you elaborated on that it could. I think most of us are aware of stock Eliminator and how much money that entails. I would think this form is more geared towards the common man's budget and what he can get at a reasonable cost? Not an unlimited stock Eliminator budget...
And again how do we separate the keyboard fantasies? I would say giving out good advice on how to make a 9-second 340 would be a good start...

I think what J par was commenting on is that i mentioned him and the red X
He thinks i'm going to be his RED X buddy now.
You asked for it! LOL I wasn't talking about you..
Remember it's not all about you...lol...:poke:..

Anyways I got to get back outside and get to work on this small block. I'll check in later...

If you are

Rod Bloomer or BPE is 45 minutes from me.
I will most likely go through him on my next build for the rotating assembly.
Another great guy in the Mopar world.

Yes I was referring to you. I don't know who you are but this is the internet so I take things at face value. Got plenty of guys on here who name drop. I race but not as much as I would like to because of financial circumstances. I wasn't meaning to be that much of a smartass but I have a friend that race is a lot and is very fast and when I mentioned this forum he laughs at me because probably he doesn't have time for this...
I guess we all have a friend...
I'm not sure how telling somebody you have a friend who has a 9 second 340 with stock heads is going to help us but maybe if you elaborated on that it could. I think most of us are aware of stock Eliminator and how much money that entails. I would think this form is more geared towards the common man's budget and what he can get at a reasonable cost? Not an unlimited stock Eliminator budget...
And again how do we separate the keyboard fantasies? I would say giving out good advice on how to make a 9-second 340 would be a good start...

I've done that for you. Many times. You didn't like the answers. It can be done. BTDT.

You don't want to hear that you really SHOULD start with a real block. And heads. And it goes from there.

Everyone wants to hear it's just bolt together a bunch of stock and junk and run it. Some guys can. But they don't have ring seal, gaskets move all over the place, bearing clearances are wider because the block is flexing like gumby.

It's simple. Start with good pieces, concentrate on not only air flow, but port area as well, get the CR up where it should be and you are there.

Simple really.

I've done that for you. Many times. You didn't like the answers. It can be done. BTDT.

You don't want to hear that you really SHOULD start with a real block. And heads. And it goes from there.

Everyone wants to hear it's just bolt together a bunch of stock and junk and run it. Some guys can. But they don't have ring seal, gaskets move all over the place, bearing clearances are wider because the block is flexing like gumby.

It's simple. Start with good pieces, concentrate on not only air flow, but port area as well, get the CR up where it should be and you are there.

Simple really.
I've already said it and I just said it right there you've got to start with some expensive *** r block it's not just the run-of-the-mill 340.. I understand everything you're saying but the people riddle off on the internet like they can do it off the back of their hand and it's just not that simple.. my buddy did X time with a 340 and stock heads.. and when I call bull crap I'm being rude to some internet Guru... There's a link to that ad about that guy's duster for sale that's record-holding stock Eliminator and it shows the entire build and it's nothing to frown at.. I get it it starts with a $3, 500 block and works its way up from there...
you can tell me a million times what it is but people like to disguise it like it's something else and when I call it I supposedly get the lesson...

LOL.... I started a guru thread..... :D :D
I am no guru and I don't race that much but I know enough and I've been around the track enough to know that any run-of-the-mill 340 just isn't doing 9 second quarter miles that's got to be a very in-depth build internally with a lot of money spent.. or likely you've been doing it all your life and you've went through dozens of builds to get to that point...

I am no guru and I don't race that much but I know enough and I've been around the track enough to know that any run-of-the-mill 340 just isn't doing 9 second quarter miles that's got to be a very in-depth build internally with a lot of money spent.. or likely you've been doing it all your life and you've went through dozens of builds to get to that point...
unless it's in a sling shot. you are correct, nobody just slaps the Comp XE268 cam in a 340 with home ported J heads and clicks off a 9 second 1/4 mile run in a 2800 lbs A-body. I don't think anyone is claiming that either. There is somebody on this site that likes to throw out there that their friend runs 10's in a Pontiac with like .428 lift or something. I asked "stock eliminator, huh?". I've been around stock eliminators. My "buddy at the strip" raced stock eliminator and was record holder in his class 4 years straight. I sniff that cat, and I know how they do it.

My first car was a 340 car. J heads self ported. 2.05 intake valve, nail head exh. valve. 11.3 compression. It went 11.30@118.+-1/4 mile all day long.
So just a stock full interior stock steel wheels stock gears.. is there anything else to the story...

My first car was a 340 car. J heads self ported. 2.05 intake valve, nail head exh. valve. 11.3 compression. It went 11.30@118.+-1/4 mile all day long.
Same with me. Except stock valve
You remember your 1/8 times?

A 340 with that head I always thought was maxed out in the low 11s in a A body anyways, unless it was a dedicated drag car.

I've already said it and I just said it right there you've got to start with some expensive *** r block it's not just the run-of-the-mill 340.. I understand everything you're saying but the people riddle off on the internet like they can do it off the back of their hand and it's just not that simple.. my buddy did X time with a 340 and stock heads.. and when I call bull crap I'm being rude to some internet Guru... There's a link to that ad about that guy's duster for sale that's record-holding stock Eliminator and it shows the entire build and it's nothing to frown at.. I get it it starts with a $3, 500 block and works its way up from there...
you can tell me a million times what it is but people like to disguise it like it's something else and when I call it I supposedly get the lesson...

First off, you don't NEED a block. Blocks weren't 3500 bucks either, until Chrysler crapped on everyone. I don't even think a Ritter is that much.

So let's do some easy math and see how hard it is to go 9's. Let's say 9's at 3100 pounds and let's say 9.80ish just for rough numbers.

To run a 9.80 in a 3100 pound car takes about 620 HONEST HP. That's all. I have zero doubt there is no less that a dozen and a half engine builders on here that can do that low number falling off a log. The number isn't hard to hit.

So, you can take a 340-360 base engine, get a decent piston, the correct cam and a set of very well ported iron heads and you can do damn close to 600 on pump gas. You'll be shifting at 7500 or so, but who cares? If you use a 4 inch crank you can drop the RPM down to 6000 or so.

Edelbrock heads make it even easier, but even on pump gas 280 CFM and a well sorted combo will do 600 hp or damn close. I did 565 on Edelbrock heads with a hydraulic roller and 10.5:1 compression back in 2000. But I did the heads and I did the intake manifold and I spec'd the headers and ignition.

If you're not sure about that, ask lead69. He was privy to that build.

That engine above would have made 50 HP more with a bigger cam. It was grossly under cammed. A solid roller would have added another 35-40 at a minimum to that. All on pump gas.

And you have to have the chassis to support that. I see lots of 500 hp engines running 12's because they ain't 500 hp. And I see a lot of 500 hp engines running 12's because the chassis and the chassis tune up is junk.

First off, you don't NEED a block. Blocks weren't 3500 bucks either, until Chrysler crapped on everyone. I don't even think a Ritter is that much.

So let's do some easy math and see how hard it is to go 9's. Let's say 9's at 3100 pounds and let's say 9.80ish just for rough numbers.

To run a 9.80 in a 3100 pound car takes about 620 HONEST HP. That's all. I have zero doubt there is no less that a dozen and a half engine builders on here that can do that low number falling off a log. The number isn't hard to hit.

So, you can take a 340-360 base engine, get a decent piston, the correct cam and a set of very well ported iron heads and you can do damn close to 600 on pump gas. You'll be shifting at 7500 or so, but who cares? If you use a 4 inch crank you can drop the RPM down to 6000 or so.

Edelbrock heads make it even easier, but even on pump gas 280 CFM and a well sorted combo will do 600 hp or damn close. I did 565 on Edelbrock heads with a hydraulic roller and 10.5:1 compression back in 2000. But I did the heads and I did the intake manifold and I spec'd the headers and ignition.

If you're not sure about that, ask lead69. He was privy to that build.

That engine above would have made 50 HP more with a bigger cam. It was grossly under cammed. A solid roller would have added another 35-40 at a minimum to that. All on pump gas.

And you have to have the chassis to support that. I see lots of 500 hp engines running 12's because they ain't 500 hp. And I see a lot of 500 hp engines running 12's because the chassis and the chassis tune up is junk.
Name one of those dozen-and-a-half builders..

Name one of those dozen-and-a-half builders..

PBR.
Porter.
Me.

Hell, I can name one you know personally. Larson and King.

That's just a start because I'm forgetting several builders who post here.

AndyF is another one and he is just down I-5 from you.

I can add more as they come to mind.

All they need is the right customer.

unless it's in a sling shot. you are correct, nobody just slaps the Comp XE268 cam in a 340 with home ported J heads and clicks off a 9 second 1/4 mile run in a 2800 lbs A-body. I don't think anyone is claiming that either. There is somebody on this site that likes to throw out there that their friend runs 10's in a Pontiac with like .428 lift or something. I asked "stock eliminator, huh?". I've been around stock eliminators. My "buddy at the strip" raced stock eliminator and was record holder in his class 4 years straight. I sniff that cat, and I know how they do it.

the guy you are referring to is Dwayne Porter, and his business is very well known throughout the Mopar drag racing world. His buddy campaigns that Poncho
The guy i mentioned who has a mid 9’s stock stroke 340 with 1.88 valves isnt some pie in the sky guy nobody knows.
I dont know anybody who doesnt know him except seemingly people on this site.
His Barracuda is legendary for how it runs.
You guys should get out More. Its been at Monster Mopar a number of times. Thats the largest Mopar only drag racing event on the planet and its held each summer. 600 just drag cars last year.

PBR.
Porter.
Me.

Hell, I can name one you know personally. Larson and King.

That's just a start because I'm forgetting several builders who post here.

AndyF is another one and he is just down I-5 from you.

I can add more as they come to mind.

All they need is the right customer.
I just seen Ron and Ted a couple weeks ago when I was taking a customer there and his Pontiac motor. I remember touring their shop when I took two period Auto shop in high school.. of course all my machine work is done there and the initial setup of my current Stroker motor. Big ford guys, but they know their way around a Mopar no problem..
Honestly I don't want to waste their time asking them how much it would cost to build a 620 horsepower Factory cast iron J head motor....
You have an R Block, you have all the W2 stuff.. you know your thread - "my next project"? you're supposed to start building it like you said in February in 31 days? You have an a body Mopar? No offense, but I've heard lip service for many years now and no time slip and you have all the pieces of the puzzle.. just sayin..

the guy you are referring to is Dwayne Porter, and his business is very well known throughout the Mopar drag racing world. His buddy campaigns that Poncho
The guy i mentioned who has a mid 9’s stock stroke 340 with 1.88 valves isnt some pie in the sky guy nobody knows.
I dont know anybody who doesnt know him except seemingly people on this site.
His Barracuda is legendary for how it runs.
You guys should get out More. Its been at Monster Mopar a number of times. Thats the largest Mopar only drag racing event on the planet and its held each summer. 600 just drag cars last year.
I believe you know the guy with the 340 with 1.88 cast-iron heads doing 9's. Do you realize this thread was from 2007 and got revised a couple days ago? My point was that if this is the case there's some real exceptional things going on with that car that are not being mentioned... As far as getting out a little more, how far do you go to see these races?..

I just seen Ron and Ted a couple weeks ago when I was taking a customer there and his Pontiac motor. I remember touring their shop when I took two period Auto shop in high school.. of course all my machine work is done there and the initial setup of my current Stroker motor. Big ford guys, but they know their way around a Mopar no problem..
Honestly I don't want to waste their time asking them how much it would cost to build a 620 horsepower Factory cast iron J head motor....
You have an R Block, you have all the W2 stuff.. you know your thread - "my next project"? you're supposed to start building it like you said in February in 31 days? You have an a body Mopar? No offense, but I've heard lip service for many years now and no time slip and you have all the pieces of the puzzle.. just sayin..

IQ52 is another that can do it.
AndyF is another.

Like I've said before, I've spent my time at dragstrips, motocross tracks and circle races. It holds nothing for me. It has to be something really special to make me go.

As for my next project, that's in line to get done, but I doubt it will be done and on the dyno in 2020. I'm behind on two other engines, both for ends and FABO members. They come first. I also have to see how it goes for my mom. She is doing very well, but she has her first appointment with her heart doc on the 10th. We will see what he says, and I know they won't make a decision until April about the rest of what they wanted to do.

In early spring they'll be putting a roof on the house and I damned sure want to see what they are doing, even though the roof has to be inspected before it gets paid. It was inspected when it was new the first time and passed, but it wasn't right.

I also have to either get the shop time or be there so I can document what's happening. I plan on spending quite a bit of time just on the flow bench. I just can't walk up and use it. I can't bump someone else to flow my junk. Then I need to convert the intake to a 4500 flange and then flow it.

So it's a long term deal. I still need to work out valve sizes and see what I can use for a valve job. Then I need to discuss cam timing and compression ratio and work that out.

It will happen. But it will happen on my schedule. Plus, I've got my distributor machine up and running and I'm way behind on work for that. Plus I bought a new tune up tool to use with the distributor machine and alone by itself, so I've got to teach myself that tool.

I'm going to be busy. The house needs painting too. 10 years ago painting the house almost put me in the hospital.

And...I've got a couple of carb tune ups to finish. Maybe one of them will post his results on FABO. And he most likely will if my tune up eats crap.

IQ52 is another that can do it.
AndyF is another.

Like I've said before, I've spent my time at dragstrips, motocross tracks and circle races. It holds nothing for me. It has to be something really special to make me go.

As for my next project, that's in line to get done, but I doubt it will be done and on the dyno in 2020. I'm behind on two other engines, both for ends and FABO members. They come first. I also have to see how it goes for my mom. She is doing very well, but she has her first appointment with her heart doc on the 10th. We will see what he says, and I know they won't make a decision until April about the rest of what they wanted to do.

In early spring they'll be putting a roof on the house and I damned sure want to see what they are doing, even though the roof has to be inspected before it gets paid. It was inspected when it was new the first time and passed, but it wasn't right.

I also have to either get the shop time or be there so I can document what's happening. I plan on spending quite a bit of time just on the flow bench. I just can't walk up and use it. I can't bump someone else to flow my junk. Then I need to convert the intake to a 4500 flange and then flow it.

So it's a long term deal. I still need to work out valve sizes and see what I can use for a valve job. Then I need to discuss cam timing and compression ratio and work that out.

It will happen. But it will happen on my schedule. Plus, I've got my distributor machine up and running and I'm way behind on work for that. Plus I bought a new tune up tool to use with the distributor machine and alone by itself, so I've got to teach myself that tool.

I'm going to be busy. The house needs painting too. 10 years ago painting the house almost put me in the hospital.

And...I've got a couple of carb tune ups to finish. Maybe one of them will post his results on FABO. And he most likely will if my tune up eats crap.
That was your time schedule that you gave about February not mine..
Are you going to have any good parts here in a few weeks for sale?..

That was your time schedule that you gave about February not mine..
Are you going to have any good parts here in a few weeks for sale?..

I said I'd START in February. And I will.

And yes...lots of good parts for sale in a few weeks. And a cheeseburger if you can A) find the place and B) get there before it closes and we all go home.

Put on blinders so you don't see the donut shops and get distracted by them.

Also, it's at the Clark County Fairgrounds. That should be easy to locate.

-
Back