Exercise routines?

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have been on and off with working out but now I am thinking to get more serious and I have two friends who want to work out with me and its great having the support because its hard to stay with it when your solo with no support around you.

My question is: what do you guys do for general fitness. I am not looking to build up any serious muscle or get crazy and also I don't want to buy equip. I had in mind simple and general stuff like sit ups, pull ups, push ups. maybe some stretches....that kind of thing.

anyone have a routine that works ??

I found some info on the web but it seems overwhelming and don't really answer directly.

http://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/10-best-exercises-women

I lift 12oz at a time, with either the right or left arm. :cheers:

I usually work my *** off by sittin here all day.

just a treadmill for me, to banged up to do much of anything else...

theres a million things you can do... variations of the stuff you have already listed too..

can do "T" push ups, feet elevated push ups, reverse crunches, leg lifts, a kettle bell is on the cheaper side and you can do a ton of different things with them. jumping jacks, burpees (man i hate those) lunges, the list is really endless... tons of things that you can make harder using your own body weight too.. build lean muscle. muscle burns a ton on calories compared to fat.

this seems decent too.. start slow and work your way into things.. can use just about anything for weights on arm day.. keep things simple...

http://www.realsimple.com/health/fitness-exercise/workouts/weekly-workout-checklist-00000000008124/

NICE!! that gives me the idea to make a list format which is what I was looking for .....we tried to get organized into a routine last night but it took longer to argue about what comes next and how many than to actually do it :evil3:

First of all ... how old are you ??.... Second ... do you have any previous injuries ... broken bones .. dis-located shoulders etc.... Makes a world of difference when working out.... you may do more harm then good not starting slow and doing the correct exercises

First of all ... how old are you ??.... Second ... do you have any previous injuries ... broken bones .. dis-located shoulders etc.... Makes a world of difference when working out.... you may do more harm then good not starting slow and doing the correct exercises

great point......I did ask my doc about this because yes I have had previous injuries when I was a teen

My doc said stretches and exercise like what we are talking about is fine and encouraged, but he said easy with weights.....which is fine because I don't think girls look good with big muscle anyway.......not even an option to go there. I am just wanting to be toned and not get so worn out with everyday stuff and being on my feet all day.

But yes you bring up a very important point.

NOT what we are trying to accomplish LOL #-o .....just better than average tone up

Attachments

• wendy_muscle_car_morph_by_turbo99-d6srbrc.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 208
I have a funny comment for that picture but I will keep it to myself lol .

Just as important as exercise is diet, hydration and rest....pretty sure you are in a high desert type of area, very similar to me..... hydration is very important....

Have you tried joining a gym? If you have a monthly payment it seems to make people workout of they pay. For workouts check out bodybuilding.com. You can get good routine there that fit your body. Also make sure you have a good diet.

My doc said easy with weights.....which is fine because I don't think girls look good with big muscle anyway.......not even an option to go there. I am just wanting to be toned.

Rani, lifting weights is not bad if you know how to do it.

If you want to tone, you do more repetitions (10-12)with less weight (about 55-60% of your max)..

If you want to build bulk, you do less repetitions (5-8) with heavier weight (about 70% of your max).

I grew up on the swim team. We lifted weights for strength and didn't want bulk, as the bulk slows you down (aerodynamics in water LOL!). So we used less weight with more repetitions. (Yes, we even had girls lifting with us - gigity, gigity).

One day when I was a freshman in high school, I decided to see how much I could lift (Max out). I was lifting regularly back then. So I went off on my own and had 210 lb on the stack for the bench machine, and a football player came by with his buddy and said, "you can't do that much."

It made me want to lift it even more. I did get it up with a little struggle, but Sean couldn't believe it. He turned to his buddy and said, "We're not leaving here today until we can lift 200 lbs) - he had no clue how lifting weights works....

When you lift weights, you "tear down" the muscle. Then it takes a day for it to "rebuild" itself back, a little stronger. Then you lift again, and rest that muscle another day while it rebuilds. You don't want to work the same muscle two days in a row. Always give it a day to rebuild itself back. Each time it rebuilds itself, it gets stronger.

Another swimmer out squatted him a few days later. He came up to me in the locker room all upset asking, "why do you swimmers look so whimpy, but lift more weights than us football players?"

I had to knock his ego down a notch and replied, "You're not the big **** that you think that you are..."

Then a few weeks later, we were doing our physical fitness testing and the coach gave a little talk about "I don't care how much you can lift, it's the guys that can do the most pull ups that are strong..."

I was one of only 3 guys in the class to do over 20 pull ups. Our gym coach (who was also the wrestling coach) approached me and asked me to try out for the wrestling team. I had to decline because swimming was the same season as wrestling, and I was a swimmer (had been since I was 4 years old).

There was also a girl on the swim team that I started on when I was younger that was also a "lifer" swimmer. She had two older brothers that were also on our team. She bench pressed 150 lbs as a freshman in high school - embarrassing a bunch of guys in her class. She was gorgeous also and didn't have "man arms" like the woman body builders. She was just very strong from swimming all of those years. If she didn't look to "manly", I don't think that you will have anything to worry about.

I have been on and off with working out but now I am thinking to get more serious and I have two friends who want to work out with me and its great having the support because its hard to stay with it when your solo with no support around you.

My question is: what do you guys do for general fitness. I am not looking to build up any serious muscle or get crazy and also I don't want to buy equip. I had in mind simple and general stuff like sit ups, pull ups, push ups. maybe some stretches....that kind of thing.

anyone have a routine that works ??

I found some info on the web but it seems overwhelming and don't really answer directly.

http://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/10-best-exercises-women

Here is what i did: Started at 6'4 277lb.
- Got online to livestrong.com, used their calorie estimator to figure out where i am at calorie wise and where i want to be at. Then adjusted my diet to fit a few hundred calories under where i was at.
-Then coupled that with walking. I'd walk 1mi in one direction & 1mi home 3 days a week.

-As my weight went down, I adjusted the calorie intake by a few hundred calories.
- Added short bursts of jogging into my walks

Continued on this routine for about 1-1.5yrs. Got down to 194lbs, and would run 2-3mi every morning.

No fad diets, no nonsensical dietary supplements. Just hard work, counting calories, and eating reasonably well.

I mainly run. I started by doing a 5K race with my wife and got hooked from there. I'm not really fast for the short runs, but I am liking a slower long run lately. Running has so many good effects on the body. stronger bones & joints, lower blood pressure and choloresterol, reduces ashma and allergies. Weight loss, stronger muscles etc...

sxr 800 stand up in tha summer and cr 250 in tha winter....best work out ever,and it's fun at tha same time.i have a very hard time just lifting weights and doing push ups...ect..you can always find something you enjoy that's also a workout.

mike bee

A million ways to go. The most important part is a routine. When you are on one its great but once you lose the routine your screwed.

I do a little of muscle conditioning with some cardio. Walking/hiking is my favorite along with bike riding. Good cardio with little impact to my body. I also like doing martial arts. It's a way to get everything in shape ( mind and body) plus learning self defense never hurts.

thanks guys ...lots of good points and ideas

I am not really doing this to lose weight because I have actually been underweight before in my life ......but its more to tune up and have for energy and walk farther and last longer at laborious tasks without getting winded. I am actually hoping I don't lose weight.

After reading some of the replies I am making a checklist format and getting started this morning.

We tune up our cars for optimal performance ....well, why not tune up ourselves and get some torque behind the wrenches. :cheers: might work in some martial arts later.

Rani, while I can not work out due to an injury on my finger, (ya, woe is me) I try to walk a lot at a quick pace or ride my bike for a few miles daily. Light weights are OK to keep the body "UP" , it is a bit shy for me.

So far, I'm down 15 lbs. from my peak.

Another great thing is sports. Tennis, handball/racketball and even soccer. I love handball. (A city sport) when approached with the spirt of compitiion it is an excellent way to improve overall health. Lungs, to breath deep, legs with short hard sprints, arms that swing hard hitting the ball.

I can not run constant for but a minute or two. Hip and knees rebel very quickly. To much pain for me. But running is very good.

The last thing I could recommend and it is probably one of the best is martial arts. Jiu-jitsu, Ti Kwon Do & I forget the name at the moment, but Bruce Lee develop a style just for ladies and smaller men because of the size, mass and strength disadvantages of being smaller person against a larger one and not just a little bigger, but against big people.

Tai Kwon Do is known as the kicking art. Keeping your aggressor at a distance rather than close 1/4. Though the art is well rounded.
Jiu jitsu is known as a grappling art. Close 1/4, think hand to hand combat close. This is another well rounded art.
Apply pressure to your opponent to submit or suffer a broken........

All are excellent for health reasons , mind, body & soul, as well as defending yourself. Something every women should be able to do well.

This is what I recommend to and what my kids do. Put your effort into it and reap excellent rewards.

i was working out for about 6 months, eating better, small meals all day long, doing light weight high reps, vitamins. After 6 months and no change i got bored and couldn't afford the gym anymore. Then dropped 40 lbs over the next 2 month lol...

-
Back