Exhaust cutouts

-
Thank god someone had their cut outs open! I fell asleep in my lawn chair, after bragging all afternoon, about the 5 second passes I make with my tired old 318.
Almost missed out on dinner at the Golden Corral!

Thanks for the wake up call! :D

Thank god someone had their cut outs open! I fell asleep in my lawn chair, after bragging all afternoon, about the 5 second passes I make with my tired old 318.
Almost missed out on dinner at the Golden Corral!

Thanks for the wake up call! :D
5 second passes w/ a tired old 318 ? must not be a true 318, and must not be too dam tires !! LOL --------- ps, I had a couple of 318`s

Sorry, I dozed off in my lawn chair again. Yes......it's not a true NA 318. It has 8 turbo's and 8 exhaust cut-outs. One on every tube of the headers.
Dang nab-it, all this chit chat and you made me late to Molden Corral. :D

Quote of the day: Haters never bother me....they're lives suck ***, so why would I care what they think?

I'd never put cut-outs on a car again. I've used several sets. A good exhaust system's only disadvantage over open headers, is weight. Loud doesn't mean quick.

That's why dragsters, pro-mods and funny cars run Midas mufflers and full exhaust. :D

Quote of the day: Haters never bother me....they're lives suck ***, so why would I care what they think?

I'm not a hater, it's just an observation I made at local car shows in my area. Doesn't mean it applies elsewhere.

What kind of et difference do you see with your cut outs opened up at the strip? :)

Sorry, I dozed off in my lawn chair again. Yes......it's not a true NA 318. It has 8 turbo's and 8 exhaust cut-outs. One on every tube of the headers.
Dang nab-it, all this chit chat and you made me late to Molden Corral. :D

molden coral ?? have you tried the fried chicken and mashed potatoes w/ cream gravy ? just like momma used to make ! only thing I eat there , w/ macaroni and cheese side, then cobbler and ice cream. love it !

I'm not a hater, it's just an observation I made at local car shows in my area. Doesn't mean it applies elsewhere.

What kind of et difference do you see with your cut outs opened up at the strip? :)

Oh, it's super fast with them open, and super fast with them closed. Big difference. :p

Your talking about the strip club right?

I never run them open at the strip club, only at the car shows, and only when I arrive and then when I leave. ****, I forgot my lawn chair again.............damned memory. Huh? Wha?

I have 3" DMH electric cutouts on my street car, a 500" '72 Duster. I love them, they are a total blast, and I can open them partially if I want to.

have QTP 3'' on mine real happy with been on for a while now no problems
727654-73f77f0d0127f9c5993465e84d2c5a1a.jpg

nzv8 008.jpg

well, I opened mine at a TNT night and ran 2 and 3 tenths slower than prior 3 passes.

I want a pair that open up with the secondaries and as fast as the secondaries open and then slam shut just as fast too. Yeah that's what I want.
Then I can run one tiny tube all the way to the tiny muffler under the back seat, and dump it right there. I don't care what that tiny muffler sounds like. I like the thought of forever getting rid of the the 140 pounds of dual full length fancy-schmancy mandrel bent TTI parasitic make-the-man happy, system. And when I mash the gas, you guessed it everybody gets the heck outta the way, cuz AJs comin' thru.
Ok well sumpin lak dat.

Time to re-jet :)
Exactly. That's what a lot of guys don't realize. Can't jet for a full exhaust and just open em up and expect to run better. Never gonna happen.
I drop my pipes and go up 6 sizes......yeah 6. That's where she likes it. I have no idea where or reason why to jet for cut outs. I don't think the car would benefit. Half the exhaust still goes through the muffs.

I use them only as a "fun" thing. People seem to like it. Kids especially. Me personally, I think they all sound like crap through cut outs. Either run open headers or with a nice free flowing exhaust. Just my opinion.

6 sizes? Primary and secondaries?? are you reading A/F? Or just sensing with your seat.
Well, I can't say open headers are changing that much or changing something at all. It's not slowing down. I see 600 usd for electrics vs 6 bolts to unscrew/screw 2 times per Strip day. It is a fun thing for the audience on the Strip. But in the line up you are almost dying in the car because of the noise and exhaust fumes.
It is cooler if you find yourself on YouTube. bssssssss or roarrrrrrr on the TV :)

Last edited:
Every car is different, my old '73 DartSport had a 451" big block with a tunnel ram and two 750 carbs. It ran 9.90 through an X-pipe with Magnaflows and turnouts to the side of the car. I wanted to run a 9.89 that day so I dropped the whole 75 pound exhaust and the car ran 9.90 again. I played with jetting up and down and couldn't get the 9.89 that day so from there on I left the exhaust system on the car when racing.
I feel pretty confident that most cars are gonna be slightly quicker with cutouts open, unless for some reason it REALLY likes a lot of back pressure..?

The electric cutouts on my Duster are mostly just for fun on a back road but my eventual goal is to drive to the track on a drag radial with a quiet exhaust system, run in the 10's in the 1/4 mile, and drive it home. I think the electric cutouts might come in handy for that. The DMH's were about $375 for the pair to my door.

-
Back