Exhaust Manifold Paint

-

my68barracuda

Reaction score
When I installed the Dual Dutra's on the slant in the 83 D150 back around 2010 I had them powder coated by Indy Powder coat. They say they used a high temperature material suitable for exhaust manifolds. However it did not take long for rust to begin showing through and of course IPC does not warranty coatings on exhaust manifolds.

A couple of years later I had the engine out and re painted the manifolds and down pipes with VHT aluminum colored aerosol spray paint. The color was a dull aluminum and although it did hold up on the exhaust manifolds in about a year it did begin to flake off the down pipes.

May of 2021 I had the engine out of the D150 to replace the clutch and also swapped in a different cam. At that time I cleaned up-stripped the exhaust manifolds and down pipes and painted them with Rustoleum High Heat Ultra aluminum. That paint dried to a very shiny silver color. The truck was driven last May to November of 2021 and from April to late July of 2022 and this paint is holding up great.
Just though I would pass this on.

7676A484-CA08-4435-A7B4-6CD72954C6A0.jpeg

CF2906BA-D67C-48AC-A137-65FEA6CD5964.jpeg

When I installed the Dual Dutra's on the slant in the 83 D150 back around 2010 I had them powder coated by Indy Powder coat. They say they used a high temperature material suitable for exhaust manifolds. However it did not take long for rust to begin showing through and of course IPC does not warranty coatings on exhaust manifolds.

A couple of years later I had the engine out and re painted the manifolds and down pipes with VHT aluminum colored aerosol spray paint. The color was a dull aluminum and although it did hold up on the exhaust manifolds in about a year it did begin to flake off the down pipes.

May of 2021 I had the engine out of the D150 to replace the clutch and also swapped in a different cam. At that time I cleaned up-stripped the exhaust manifolds and down pipes and painted them with Rustoleum High Heat Ultra aluminum. That paint dried to a very shiny silver color. The truck was driven last May to November of 2021 and from April to late July of 2022 and this paint is holding up great.

View attachment 1715961538

View attachment 1715961539
That's great, John. Thanks for the tip. Now, allow me to give you one. Rather than those plain bolts and washers you're using, you should switch to everything stainless. If not, the rust stains from those bolts will migrate to your painted manifolds and down pipes and stain them too and eventually they will rust as well.

I'm with RRR, but I'd use stainless studs with stainless washers & brass nuts. After many heat cycles, the brass nuts will still come off & if not the threads will be wiped out so you can just replace the nuts, if needed.

View attachment 1715961538

View attachment 1715961539

I used a product called Slip Plate Graphite lubricant. Sandblast the manifolds, spray a few coats of Slip Plate on, let for 24 hours and buff the paint with a cotton terry cloth. Works very well. Stays on, does not burnoff or flake off. Far superior than the Cast Blast paints I used in the past. I did my exhaust manifolds 3 years ago and they still look great.

I used a product called Slip Plate Graphite lubricant. Sandblast the manifolds, spray a few coats of Slip Plate on, let for 24 hours and buff the paint with a cotton terry cloth. Works very well. Stays on, does not burnoff or flake off. Far superior than the Cast Blast paints I used in the past. I did my exhaust manifolds 3 years ago and they still look great.

Manifolds with Slip Plate
Slip plate manifold..jpg

I wouldn't have thought of that, wouldn't think slip plate would take the heat for long.

I have been using rustoleum BBQ paint for a few years on manifolds. It holds up pretty good but will require touch up about every year or two. The good this is you can touch it up and it blends right in and you cant tell. By far the best low buck exhaust coating.

I bought a 16 oz bottle for 70.00. I sprayed 4 sets of manifolds. You must have a spray gun. Pour and shoot. Works great. Cures on the engine. Many colors available.

Or not, I just know what works. I've used rustoleum too. I assume not have an air compressor and paint gun rules it out for people.

I brushed on POR15 manifold paint on my slant six and it has held up very nicely for the last 3 years. Definitely more costly though.

Bill Hirsch Cast Iron Gray

BillHirschCastIronGray.jpg

I let it dry for 12 hours and then flashed a propane torch through the ports to cure the paint. Used the manifolds on a cam break in - paint held up perfectly.

I ran across a POR (as in POR-15) product many years ago and used it ever since. Factory Gray Manifold paint. Comes in a little can and you put it on with a brush. When you run the engine the paint melts into the manifold and all brush strokes disappear. The best part comes when the manifold needs touch up. Instead of removing the manifolds to redo them or spending silly amounts of time masking everything off, you just get out your can and brush and touch up what needs it. Crank the engine up and it melts into the old paint seamlessly. Been using this on my Darts now for at least 20 years and it is the ticket, if you always want them to look good.

Last edited:
-
Back