exhaust theads stripped

-

beck

Reaction score
Hi, frist time on this form,thank god I found it!.I have 74 dart sport 318 4spd
and had to change the starter, I removed all bolts from the header and changed the starter,went to reinstall the header and the last bolt(the one that is part of the cooling passages) back of the block is stripped out.what would be the best thing to do? Can I retap it to 3/8ths or use a heily coil .I am open to any suggestions .Thanks

Hi, frist time on this form,thank god I found it!.I have 74 dart sport 318 4spd
and had to change the starter, I removed all bolts from the header and changed the starter,went to reinstall the header and the last bolt(the one that is part of the cooling passages) back of the block is stripped out.what would be the best thing to do? Can I retap it to 3/8ths or use a heily coil .I am open to any suggestions .Thanks

My header bolt in the same spot was also stripped out and I re-tapped the hole and ran a new bolt through. It worked and I have not had any leak issues with it.

Either retaping or a heily coil should work just fine.

Welcome to the site. This is a good place for info or just to hang out.

Thanks guys! duster maniac, do you remember if you tapped to 3/8ths orsomething else?

Thanks guys! duster maniac, do you remember if you tapped to 3/8ths or something else?

I would get the helicoil. It comes with the proper drill bit.

But a 3/8 bolt should also work, can make getting the bolt in a little difficult if the hole in the header flange is off a little.

I used a 3/8th machine head hardened bolt. I just threaded it into the hole and it cut it's own threads and holds fine. No leakage.

The helicoil kit I just saw at NAPA was $30+ and had no drill bit.
Came with approx 6 coils, tap, plastic insert tool.
Good Luck.8)

I had the same problem on my car when I bought it and tried a heli-coil but no matter what sealer I tried I couldn't get it to seal up so I tapped it out to 3/8" and got a double ended stud that was 3/8" on one end and 5/16" on the other so the 5/16" went right through the header just like original.

I had the same problem on my car when I bought it and tried a heli-coil but no matter what sealer I tried I couldn't get it to seal up so I tapped it out to 3/8" and got a double ended stud that was 3/8" on one end and 5/16" on the other so the 5/16" went right through the header just like original.

That`s a great idea, that way the stud fits the header and you can use the same size nuts and/or bolts. I hate having to change out a socket for one odd nut/bolt.

-
Back