exhaust woes ......1973 340 into a 1965 barracuda

-
As far as I know they are the same as when Harold made them. They are simply tubular exhaust. Not equal length, short tubes, and a turd to hook exhaust up to. Not much better than manifolds.

put harolds spitfires on a friends (@DJVCUDA) 66 cuda with a 360 in it.. they fit great, not a big deal running exhaust (forget what size he had) and they made a huge difference over the 73 style 340 manifolds he had on it. i was shocked to tell you the truth..

I noticed a seat of the pants difference for sure, 20 horse? 10? I have no idea. Absolutely love the spark plug wire clearance. I'm going to jet hot coat mine hopefully before I die

On my 66 dart..340 hp manifolds 2in down pipes tp 2.5in

You only need to clearance the transmission cross mount....dont chop the frame its not needed

@Treblig, I think he does work on the 340 manifolds and may be able to help you figure this out. I hear Dakota manifolds work on the drivers side, not sure which ones. I have Spitfire on my 66 Cuda, and stock manifolds on my Signet. I want Doug’s for the Cuda, but the price has kept me from doing that.

The 60's 340 manifold fits best on the driver's side on the early As. You might have to skooch your steering shaft over a little or get some after market steering joints with a smaller diameter steering shaft but the early 340 manifolds have been used by other early A members. If I remember correctly....one early A member had me grind off some material off a Jeep Grand Cherokee (96/97/98) passenger manifold to fit into his early A. The JGC manifold has a 2 1/8 exit hole which is very, very close to a 340 exit hole.

Since no one else brought this up-you need to address the 73 340 cast crank balance issue with the 904 The 904 was never used behind the 340, you need one of the B&M flexplates for cast crank 340 to 904. Also if your 904 is the original trans in your car, the convertor snout is smaller that the register in the end of the crank. If your 73 340 has a steel crank for any reason, disregard the above.

I have doug under chassie headers on my 67 cuda with no power steering has 360 with 904 auto.3rd tube hits steering rod connection any ideas? THANKS

M understanding was that only the 68-69 340 left manifold will work on these early cars. Have a set of 273 manifolds for sale if you go that route. They will definitely clear. Abodyjoes endorsement of the Spitfife headers performance improvement has me rethinking using them on my next conversion.

M understanding was that only the 68-69 340 left manifold will work on these early cars. Have a set of 273 manifolds for sale if you go that route. They will definitely clear. Abodyjoes endorsement of the Spitfife headers performance improvement has me rethinking using them on my next conversion.
Biggest pain in the butt on them was getting header bolt access. I've had them off multiple times to ding the pipes for clearance. They're thick pipes too, it's not a piece of cake. Lots easier than making them yourself, although they're not under $300 anymore

I have doug under chassie headers on my 67 cuda with no power steering has 360 with 904 auto.3rd tube hits steering rod connection any ideas? THANKS
Gen2 Barracuda's are a different ball game compared to the OP's 65 Barracuda.

I have seen magnum manifolds in early A's. The steering shaft coupler needs to be changed to a u-joint, and the column outer tube needs to be shortened a fair bit (basically to the floor flange). There should be an old thread or two if you search the forum. If more than 300 HP or so is your goal, the Doug's or TTI headers are the way to go.

@demon6835

789C664F-24D6-419B-93A0-2FCC535BBF76.png

C57BE908-7487-4682-B0C7-58D46D4CCF8F.png

Pete… I found this. As you saw, the Doug’s in the 74 had plenty of room. The Doug’s in the 68 too.

Thanks dan no other changes Ihave plenty of room on passanger side Iwonder if motor mount rubbers should be thicker THANKS DAN

Has anyone mentioned the Hooker 5204s headers?
On the Driver's side, IIRC they are three pipes down and one thru the apron.

Back in 1975, I did the 340 swap into 65 A100 wagon, with full Hooker fenderwells. On the street the lack of tire clearance was not that bad, as I recall , so the 5204s seem like a good compromise.

Still good. I use hi-temp rtv and stainless nuts, washers and conical lock washers.
I was told the gaskets will not hold up when using 273 manifolds on a 340/360 head but if there was never a problem then i will put 273 manifolds on my 360 build in my 65 barracuda

I slightly ported the exhaust manifolds on the top and sides for the larger ports. I ran J heads that had the larger exhaust ports. The later 360 heads had smaller ports, but had a longer "face" for the EGR port. That face can hit the drivers side exhaust manifold and crack it, so check it before you bolt it on. Be careful grinding on the "face" of the head as there is water behind it. I'd grind as slightly as possible on both the head and the manifold so it just fits with the exhaust gasket.

I am running the TTI headers on my 360 65 Cuda. If I could go back to before I dropped the $800 on them I would just run the stock 273 manifolds. The TTI are nice, but really make it a pain the work on anything located on the drivers side of the car. I am actually in the process of building a 273 or 318 for the car that will be a basically stock engine for the car to make it more enjoyable to cruise and work on.

-
Back