Expanding the search

-

Dan the man

Reaction score
After we all get through this weather, ( right now traveling is not good for anyone). I'm going to have to expand my car search. I have family and friends who live in other states. I've heard that Ohio and Iowa are known for their rusting cars, what other places should be avoided because of rust issues? Also, I may have to lower my expectations and settle for a car without a/c. Has anybody here ever done a a/c system on their car? A couple of months ago I missed a 1971 scamp that was super clean, only needed a headliner, a/c compressor was missing but everything else was there.It was a slant 6 car with a asking price was $9,500 obo. I know, I should've not passed on it. I was too worried about the cost of swapping it out for a V/8. I realize that I goofed big time by passing it up.

My 1970 Swinger 340, with factory A/C was purchased in 2005 , for $6500. I later found the build sheet under the back seat. The good cars are out there, but it's harder to find them, and patience is needed. The chase is part of the hunt. There are still great cars out there under the radar. Keep looking, Brother.

I put a Classic Air AC system in my 68 Barracuda. The install went fine, it is a nice kit, I had to call Classic once during the process to get clarity on one of the steps, Classic tech line was helpful. I already had an AC vacuum pump and gauge set so the charging was not an issue. Check out their web page for details on that kit.

all states that use salt on the road have rust issues. Cars a getting more plentiful due to the economy. Be patient and watch local advertising usually those who have to sell don't have access to some internet advertising. or keep checking "Search tempest.com" Covers Craigs list for all states.

Dont automatically dismiss states because of rust. My iowa car was originally from Colorado. When i bought it it was rock solid. Keep an open mind because these cars spent 50 years moving around the country. Good luck on your search

Just keep looking, the car your looking for is out there. Once you find it don't dick around, buy it. That said, make sure it's what you want and whatever work it needs you are prepared to do or have done. Condition dictates price for the most part unless it's a rare car. I wouldn't rule out any region because these cars have moved around over the years. Full restorations are expensive and you can find yourself upside down in no time. Just know what you're in for whatever vehicle you decide to buy. Good luck in your search, half the fun is looking for them. 65'

I would save your money and travel expenses for the car and doing what you want with it. Surf the net and find a car that you believe checks all the boxes for you and pay for an inspection and then delivery. Or you can ask members to go take a look for you, maybe cover gas to get there. My son and I are out here in SoCal and would love to help members out. We love the hobby and the adventure of looking for cars.
Just my 2 cents. I know a lot of guys want to see the car for themselves and I get that but if you can narrow it down and save cash, why not? Unless you'd like the adventure of traveling and looking for what you want; which I totally get.
Happy Hunting!

all states that use salt on the road have rust issues. Cars a getting more plentiful due to the economy. Be patient and watch local advertising usually those who have to sell don't have access to some internet advertising. or keep checking "Search tempest.com" Covers Craigs list for all states.
Here is the proper link for searchtempest.com

Also, watch this thread. "I wish I was closer..." and members find some really nice deals for you.

I wish it was closer craigslist finds
Thanks to everyone for the encouragement, I really believe that after I read the responses I got that I have a much better attitude. I do apologize for being a jerk sometimes I don't want to be like that and you guys have welcomed me back. Thanks again everyone

A car coming from a "rust free state" does not mean its rust free, and a car from a "rust' state does not mean its rusted. These are 50plus year old car made of steel, rust is rust. In 50 years any car will be subjected to a variety of conditions, evaluate it for what it is.

A car coming from a "rust free state" does not mean its rust free, and a car from a "rust' state does not mean its rusted. These are 50plus year old car made of steel, rust is rust. In 50 years any car will be subjected to a variety of conditions, evaluate it for what it is.
I understand what you are saying, but there are states that naturally cause vehicles to rust faster than others, some in as little as 2 years, like ohio,new york,ect and I was just asking what states are better to look for a car.

Also, watch this thread. "I wish I was closer..." and members find some really nice deals for you.

I wish it was closer craigslist finds
Thanks for letting me know about this website.
I often wonder why people post stuff for sale and when it sells the ad is still there. If a ad can be posted online it can be removed, there is over 70 pages of cars that at one time or another was up for sale. I wish that people would remove their ad once the item sells. No one is that busy or forgets to remove the ad.

I put a Classic Air AC system in my 68 Barracuda. The install went fine, it is a nice kit, I had to call Classic once during the process to get clarity on one of the steps, Classic tech line was helpful. I already had an AC vacuum pump and gauge set so the charging was not an issue. Check out their web page for details on that kit.
Thanks for the info. I'm going to try and do the installation myself if I buy a non ac car.

I understand what you are saying, but there are states that naturally cause vehicles to rust faster than others, some in as little as 2 years, like ohio,new york,ect and I was just asking what states are better to look for a car.
They tend to migrate all over the US from coast to coast.

I would save your money and travel expenses for the car and doing what you want with it. Surf the net and find a car that you believe checks all the boxes for you and pay for an inspection and then delivery. Or you can ask members to go take a look for you, maybe cover gas to get there. My son and I are out here in SoCal and would love to help members out. We love the hobby and the adventure of looking for cars.
Just my 2 cents. I know a lot of guys want to see the car for themselves and I get that but if you can narrow it down and save cash, why not? Unless you'd like the adventure of traveling and looking for what you want; which I totally get.
Happy Hunting!
I've got the Puget Sound covered for you. An old retired man loves the hunt.

Some of the cleanest low mile cars come fom rustbelt states. That is because many only drove their main car in the summer and had winter beaters. I never drove my 70 Charger in the winter .I bought a 73 Dart Sport for $100 and drove it . S/R 318 folding rear seat car...lol

Some of the cleanest low mile cars come fom rustbelt states. That is because many only drove their main car in the summer and had winter beaters. I never drove my 70 Charger in the winter .I bought a 73 Dart Sport for $100 and drove it . S/R 318 folding rear seat car...lol
And to add, some of the best maintenance done to engines are from the north, they are well maintained because its life or death type of thing up there.

Everything in PA rusts. even plastic. I once hired two techs from down south and they were helpless. Working on two to five year old new cars the minimal rust still filled them with fear.

After we all get through this weather, ( right now traveling is not good for anyone). I'm going to have to expand my car search. I have family and friends who live in other states. I've heard that Ohio and Iowa are known for their rusting cars, what other places should be avoided because of rust issues? Also, I may have to lower my expectations and settle for a car without a/c. Has anybody here ever done a a/c system on their car? A couple of months ago I missed a 1971 scamp that was super clean, only needed a headliner, a/c compressor was missing but everything else was there.It was a slant 6 car with a asking price was $9,500 obo. I know, I should've not passed on it. I was too worried about the cost of swapping it out for a V/8. I realize that I goofed big time by passing it up.
Hi,

What are you looking for? Sorry I missed that.

Thanks,
Marion

-
Back