FABO Mentor Program ... Another Young Guns Idea from The CudaChick

-
Well. Can I be the first canidate for the mentor thing. Lol I'm in lake wales, fl

Yes Sye, of course you can! Besides, you're the reason I even thought of this thing. LOL

Aside from everyone adding themselves to the earlier-mentioned map and visiting it occasionally to look for white markers, does anybody have any other bright ideas on how to get the Young Guns matched up with a nearby mentor without too much hassle? I hate to have too many different threads going on a related topic, but I can also see this one turning into a novel really fast.

Maybe just short and sweet posts in a separate thread so they'll be easy to read through? Mentor or Applicant, state, city, email address. And then leave it to them to find each other???

As always, I'm open to suggestions. Rome wasn't built in a day and the FABO Mentor Program won't be either. Thanks for all the support so quickly out of the gate ... ya'll are awesome! :-D :love7: :-D :love7: :-D

I just put my marker in white...
looks like the farthest north member here :p

Leanna...This is a GREAT IDEA!!! Thanks for thinking of it. I'm also on board for helping anyone in my area that needs it. I'm 52 (almost 53...Egad!!) and have been into Mopars since I was "kneehigh-to-a-grasshopper", thanks to my Dad.

My location is in my Sig as well as the avatar area.

Well, there's an applicant and a potential mentor in British Columbia! How close are you guys to each other?

how about a mentor stickey with a list of mentors in the regional boards so you dont have to look through 20 pages to find a mentor close to you can just look in your region to find one clese to you.

P.S. Im in if any one neds help I have done and built a few trucks and cars Iam in shelbyville IL pm me if anyone needs help

P.P.S. also the young guns could also go to the mentors house to work with them on a project car to get some ideas fo what they can do on their own and what they might need help with.

just some thoughts to ponder
thanks shiifty

Here also another idea. For the young guns, when they add there name they could put (YG) beside there also to show that there a young gun.
Our I can go in and edit and put (YG) beside there name if everyone alright with that.
Still trying to figure out a color can use. Should have something figured out by tomorrow night.

this would be awesome

i need someone familiar with building engines and welding

now that i think of it more than that

but this could be really cool

great idea

If everyone wants we can also put mentor beside your name also on the map. When you click on the icon on right side of the page. The list will show all the map entries and we can set it up with (YG) and (Mentor).
Just some more ideas.

Bayyum, hey I'm trying here. LOL There's bound to be someone closer (this hasn't even been going for 24 hours yet so there's still hope :-D).

Awesome ideas guys! Keep them coming. I like the regional thing too.

Skokz, I'm glad the map can be custom tailored ... I was hoping it could be put to good use here.

I would be down to help with information. As far as working on them or having a place to work on them, I can't help much at this current time. I know lots of different things pertaining to production numbers and codes and am willing to help anyone that needs. Just send me a PM! :) Great idea Leanna

Shifty had a good idea. Do a sticky on a "Mentor List" with location and then the yg would know if it's close to him or not. Maybe even a YG forum to allow them to post questions about issues and problems and an avenue to ask for help. As of now we have no real idea on whos a yg and who is not. I try and help everyone of our members so take this witha grain of salt.
Small Block

We got faith in ya cudachick... Just tell me which barn to turn at and what color the house is... If the kids mopar is sittin on 4 cinder blocks with a tree growin thru the trunk and a hound dog tied to the front bumper I'd like the option to pick a differe'nt young gun.... just kiddin'!! I love a challenge....

Excellent idea Leanna! I'd be willing to help members in Colorado but they'd have to understand that I'm on call 24/7. I tried to volunteer at the VA but I had make a commitment to a certain time every week and I just can't do that with my job.

We got faith in ya cudachick... Just tell me which barn to turn at and what color the house is... If the kids mopar is sittin on 4 cinder blocks with a tree growin thru the trunk and a hound dog tied to the front bumper I'd like the option to pick a differe'nt young gun.... just kiddin'!! I love a challenge....

Not quite but cats do like sleeping on it. lol

I added myself to the map, but it appears there are not too many Alabamians. I am willing to share what I know. I think that a good way might be to have the YG's to post their questions like normal, just put a YG at the beginning of the post title to identify it. That way, several people will chime in instead of just the mentor. I do like the mentor idea, but the whole idea of this site is to have lots of points of view and various suggestions. The mentor could be a quick goto person, maybe even to refer the YG. We have a lot of people on here who are experts. I wouldn't want to advise someone on powder coating or body work, there are lots of people on here who know that stuff. But if it come to knowing what is correct on a 65 a body plymouth, I know a lot, have a vast collection of literature, and have owned and/or restored more than a dozen.
Not trying to knock anything, I do think that the YG having a OT (old timer) is a great idea.

I added myself to the map, but it appears there are not too many Alabamians. I am willing to share what I know. I think that a good way might be to have the YG's to post their questions like normal, just put a YG at the beginning of the post title to identify it. That way, several people will chime in instead of just the mentor. I do like the mentor idea, but the whole idea of this site is to have lots of points of view and various suggestions. The mentor could be a quick goto person, maybe even to refer the YG. We have a lot of people on here who are experts. I wouldn't want to advise someone on powder coating or body work, there are lots of people on here who know that stuff. But if it come to knowing what is correct on a 65 a body plymouth, I know a lot, have a vast collection of literature, and have owned and/or restored more than a dozen.
Not trying to knock anything, I do think that the YG having a OT (old timer) is a great idea.

You have a good point about the YG's Posting and getting a lot of good ideas from people who know their stuff.. But, when thay turn their computers off most will be affraid to attempt what thay just read.. I think the serious YG's want to get their hands dirty and want someone there for guidance that will give them the confidence and help thay need... Thay can sit here and read posts all day but that isn't going to get their transmission back in and hooked up right...

You have a good point about the YG's Posting and getting a lot of good ideas from people who know their stuff.. But, when thay turn their computers off most will be affraid to attempt what thay just read.. I think the serious YG's want to get their hands dirty and want someone there for guidance that will give them the confidence and help thay need... Thay can sit here and read posts all day but that isn't going to get their transmission back in and hooked up right...

Hear Hear! I agree 100%

AMENNNNNN!!!!

The point of the project isn't to dissuade anyone from posting their questions and getting lots of input ... it's what brings all of us to FABO every day. I just think if the kids had someone close by -- even by phone -- to help out with specific quick questions, advice and input to kind of guide them along, they'd have more confidence to get in there and start doing some of the work themselves. We all had to learn somewhere, and God knows most of us 'aged' members didn't learn how to work on a car from a computer ... we learned by watching and helping our dads, uncles, older brothers and motorhead neighbors. As we gained experience and knowledge, we bought our own projects.

I just know from reading the posts in the Young Guns contest thread that a lot of the entrants have no one to help them or lean on when they get stuck. That's what I want the Mentor Program to do ... fill in the void a little bit where the computer can't.

Thank you to everyone who's reading this and contributing their ideas, and a special thanks to all the responders who immediately volunteered to be on board. A panel of experts indeed!!! :-D

Don't get me wrong at all, I think it is a great idea! I am willing to mentor a young gun! I do want to see the experienced guys provide a personal helping hand to see the hobby continue. What I am trying to say is that instead of trying to create a way for them to post that may move it to where many of us old timers may not look (new thread categories, etc.) I am suggesting that they label their posts with a YG ( or whatever) to let all of us know it's from a Young Gun. I may not need or have time to look at a post about, for example, radiators. But, if I saw a label that said it was from a young gun, I'd be more inclined to take a moment and look, as I may have advice to offer or the part needed, etc. With both (1) a mentor to help encourage and even provide hands on "better be wearing a shirt that your mom won't kill you for getting it greasy" time along with (2) the whole FABO family providing a plethora of advice, debate, parts, and additional understanding and patience that will benefit the young gun even more.

Leanna, I'm willing to be in on this.

I've got one Young Gun here already, as you know. Possibly another with a young man looking to street rod a '46 Chevy coupe. He's already coming to me for advice. If there's any more, might as well get a shop class together. :-D

wow sounds like just what i need! id be in, my dart is rediculously slow as far as gettin stuff on it. i have a nice driver mirror i got from a member here 2 months ago an have yet to insall!

Sitting here right now thinking about two things

my 67 dart and the 2002 c5 corvette suspension sitting in my girlfriends garage

I wanna put two and two together. Well. This is where I'm stuck

Where do I start? I need Someone who can help. I need a second hand here
I dream big I know. But I'm willing to do this if I could

-
Back